#141 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

View PostSLDF DeathlyEyes, on 16 April 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

I have a feeling due to the fact that SRMs have hit detection issues and I notice when I fire autocannons rapidly I have hit detection issues, converting Autocannons to burst fire weapons will only result in hit detection issues. This might be the actual reason for them not doing it. If they do convert Autocannons to burst fire weapons, I want slug fire LBX as an option. That is if we are following lore. Autocannon 20's would also need to have the similar balistic traits as the smaller AC's since they will be firing the similar projectiles just more of them.

That being said, Paul needs to go. Nothing he posts seems to generate any sort of positive feedback. At best it results in some borderline neutral feedback. He has failed consistently to balance the game and that seems to be the main point to his job at PGI. He needs to be moved to a new position so someone else can balance the game properly.

I use this as an example against the game having trouble with that.

Also... if all weapons were truly done in relation to tabletop, a 10 shot AC/2 would deal 0.2 damage per shot, 1 shot per second, and spend 5 seconds reloading. Of course, you could easily have another variation that spends no time 'reloading', pumps out a shot every 0.5 seconds (the original MWO firing time for AC/2s), deal 0.05 damage per shot, and effectively still make Source's 2 damage in 10 seconds.

The point is there are many variants. MGs from 12.5mm to 25mm. AC/2s from 30mm to 80mm. AC/5s from 40mm to 120mm. (Just to note: the 120mm is described as requiring 3 shots which is 1.67 damage rounded, so no single shot AC/2s or AC/5s). AC/10s between 80mm and 100mm (so far). AC/20s from in lore from 40mm to 185mm (Inner Sphere; largest tank or mech mounted one being the 4 shot 185mm Chemjet Gun with each shot being 5 damage) or for Clans 100mm to 203mm (the only single shot UAC/20 in existence is the 203mm mounted on the Cauldron Born with some fluff story about its Stalker-length body, thicker-than Catapult legs and very short height playing a role in maintaining balance with a weapon that'd make any other mech fall on its back when firing that cannon).

Autocannons would be able to fire as many shots as needed to make their rating. Thusly if an AC/2 required 100 shots to make 2 damage, it'd generate 1 heat with 100 shots. If it required 2 shots, it'd generate '1 heat' after 2 shots or 0.5 heat per shot.

PPCs and Gauss Rifles would obviously be very powerful due to their typically single shot nature, but obscenely slow to fire again. That'd require the proper heat threshold of 30 (thusly 3 PPCs at once = shutdown. 2 ER PPCs at once, shutdown. But 6 ER PPCs are perfectly doable in 10 seconds if you space them out, as such heat penalties would certainly be necessary).

It's an overall design failure which to me is on more than just Paul's shoulders.

Now, the lead cause of HSR failure is speed. You see this mech here. But in reality he left ages ago and is heading for the hills. Your HSR tries to do the math but because his speed wasn't consistent, HSR failed to put him where you saw him. So what's the solution to that? MOAR SPEED! ....Sorry PGI, but that's a failure. Redesigning the weapons would be significantly better.

Now, far as SRMs it was explained that CryEngine has a limited number of explosive calls at once, and queues them to happen later. With LRMs this doesn't matter; they are guided. With SRMs they are not guided (when by lore they ARE GUIDED), and so HSR when it queues the explosions says "Oops, he left." And you don't get any damage dealt.

An explanation on what happens with server, client, and HSR.

View PostKoniving, on 08 April 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

Before "HSR", all weapons took 0.5 seconds to appear, and it showed us what the server sees. Problem was the mech positions could not possibly show us that as it happens and so we led ahead with the intention to hit the air in front of the target because that's where the target really is.

Now, the 0.5 second delay is not shown to you. Your shot occurs before your shot occurs.
Basically pull the trigger. You see the shot. 0.5 seconds later, "you fired." At close range when you see the shot hit something, you actually just "fired" when you saw the target get hit.
Except the target isn't there anymore, and wasn't there since before you shot, let alone when you fired.

Think of it like a time paradox. We call this "lag" with "lag compensation."
Except unlike most games where "I shoot," and the game says "I shoot and killed this dude" to the server, the server of that game says "Okay, whatever, okay dude that the guy just shot even though you already went around the corner, this guy killed you." (then the player that got killed cries "HACKS!")
MWO works like this. Your game client says "I shoot at this guy." Server says "Oh yeah? what's your ping?." "150." Server asks the other guy, "What's your ping?" "300." So the server sits down pulls out a calculator and gets to work. "Mkay, so your ping is 150 and you shoot here and we draw the bullet path and this other dude has a ping of 300 so he thinks he's here... sorry man, he aint' there but PGI says I can't rubber band him ahead to where he is. It looks bad."
And your game shouts Bullseye, but the feedback from the server says "Bulls-it!" And now, you're wondering if they get a damage discount.

Far as slug-fire LBX options, I agree. But that won't happen unless repair and rearm becomes re-implemented, as it would obsolete AC/10s (less heat, less slots, less tonnage, same damage).

Far as AC/20s having similar ballistic traits, the only thing that really limited an AC/20 to 270 meters is that the recoil (much stronger) would throw the shots off beyond that losing a solid shot grouping. Of course with recoil it'd be all the more reason to have a 'crouch' function to help handle the recoil.

Now... Another potential idea is this. Ever notice how you always 'glide' in a straight line when moving at any speed in any mech? Sure the cockpit moves but your "head" magically flies straight like a gliding camera. Even as your mech bobs up and down and the cockpit raises and lowers with every step your head and by extension your aim never moves.

Now switch to third person, aim at something nearby and watch THAT crosshair. It bobs with your mech's movement. Side to side bob? The crosshair goes side to side. Up and down bob? It goes up and down. It matches your mech's movement at any speed. Some mechs bob more when slower, some bob more when faster. You can have pinpoint aim and increase the amount of skill necessary because at 81 kph you're now bobbing a bit and have to time that shot just right to hit where you want. For some mechs you might even have to slow down or even stop completely for that perfect pinpoint shot.

Sadly I'm loaded with lots of ideas and many of them are pretty simple or already 'partially' or previously implemented in MWO. For example did you know that heat penalties did exist in MWO in closed beta? If you had heat above 80% your heatsinks, weapons, and ammo would slowly and randomly take damage until you cooled below 80% heat. This resulted in heatsinks melting, weapons being destroyed, even ammunition exploding. Of course back then at 101% heat if you had any kind of ammo at all it was instantly destroyed, killing you.

I sincerely would like to see any drastic rebalancing done before Clans are released and tested to be ready to go out when they are ready and not done afterward.

Edited by Koniving, 16 April 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#142 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 16 April 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

They have repeatedly stated they feel one of the biggest issues with the game is mechs dying to easy (remember - these are supposed to be nigh-unkillable machines here)

So - yes - you are crazy - that is not going to happen.

And canonnicly.
Mech's could be detroyed in one hit. They weren't gods.

Just take a look at Kai Liao destroying 5 mechs easyly. Or destroying a superior Omnitmech with is Yen-Lo-Wang in just about what. 10 second?

#143 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

View PostKuroNyra, on 16 April 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

And canonnicly.

And canonnicly - they were as tough or weak as the current story demanded.

Books where Locusts took a beating that would have left Kai's mech in tatters.
Books where an Atlas is taken down by a single Elemental in one shot.

/sarcasm on
Gee - I wonder why people are always arguing over how it "should" be?
/sarcasm off

Canonically - there is very little true canon.

What matters here?
The developers do not want one-hit kills (exceptions? high-skill heatshots) and have repeatedly said so.

To argue otherwise is to ask for them to ignore your suggestions.

/sarcasm on
Gee? I wonder why so many people who kept arguing against what PGI/IGP/Micro$oft have stated about how the game is going to happen are now complaining about how they do not get listened to?
/sarcasm off.

#144 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

View PostWolfways, on 15 April 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

It's supposed to have a lower dps than an AC20, hence the 2 and 20.
AC20 = highest dps, shortest range
AC10 = lower dps, longer range
AC5 = even lower dps, even longer range
AC2 = lowest dps, longest range

The only range change needed was making all AC's have a max range of 2x optimal range. But of course PGI... :lol:

Depends on whether TT base rules or Solaris, but obviously PGI's entire concept of balance is giving the weapons/combinations with the highest front-loaded damage the highest damage-over-time and also the highest capability to pinpoint damage in a single location, soo.....

#145 Whiteagle

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

View PostSarlic, on 15 April 2014 - 11:54 PM, said:

I am also not always happy with the changes PGI made. I understand the frustrations among the players, but that does not justify to bash PGI. It's already hard enough to balance a game like this. They could be like other developers who don't care or even listen to their community. You simply cant make every player happy... :lol:

Problem is, they took a fast firing, low damage gun with long range...
...Gave it high heat generation and ghost heat to prevent it from being stacked for maximum dakka...

...Then nerfed the re-fire rate AND the Range into the ground!!!

I could support slowing the firing speed, but giving the AC/2 less maximum range than an AC/5 just makes it completely worthless...

It's not a heavy damage alpha-strike weapon period, so it either needs reach or fire speed to be usable.

Personally, I'd go with reach, but that's just my play-style...

#146 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

You will never see canonical combat on the MWO battlefield. You will see gamer combat with MW seasoning. that's all.

#147 DeathlyEyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • 940 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMetaphorical Island somewhere in the Pacific

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 16 April 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

You will never see canonical combat on the MWO battlefield. You will see gamer combat with MW seasoning. that's all.

THIS! Until the developers realize this the game won't improve. It's a bad game because table top makes for a bad game.

#148 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 16 April 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

Depends on whether TT base rules or Solaris, but obviously PGI's entire concept of balance is giving the weapons/combinations with the highest front-loaded damage the highest damage-over-time and also the highest capability to pinpoint damage in a single location, soo.....

Well PGI are (mostly) using TT stats as the basis for MWO, even if we are playing on small arena's :lol:

#149 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

View PostSLDF DeathlyEyes, on 16 April 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

THIS! Until the developers realize this the game won't improve. It's a bad game because table top makes for a bad game.

Not quite... but... in abstract yes.

This game is populated by players who not only played TT and previous videogame renditions, but also play every other FPS under the sun. they bring those fighting tactics and play to the flaws in the game. That is not MW, or BT. That is gamer FPS play. The character of the players cannot be changed nor forced to follow canon, no matter how much people kvetch about it.

#150 DeathlyEyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • 940 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMetaphorical Island somewhere in the Pacific

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:35 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 16 April 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

Not quite... but... in abstract yes.

This game is populated by players who not only played TT and previous videogame renditions, but also play every other FPS under the sun. they bring those fighting tactics and play to the flaws in the game. That is not MW, or BT. That is gamer FPS play. The character of the players cannot be changed nor forced to follow canon, no matter how much people kvetch about it.

The only way to get a true battletech experience would be giving players a coop or single player environment where they can role play their fantasy. It won't ever happen in regular servers. Even with stock mech only modes players will play mech's that match these tactics.

#151 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

Not even then. You will never be able to get players to stop camping, boating, sniping, hiding, using low risk high reward tactics that you see in the TT game or books.

You really want to scare yourself, consider this: If the war is decided by players alone, how fast till Liao, Marik and Kurita fall before Davion? Or will enough pilots in Liao be strong enough to take over all of Steiner space, or will the FRR take over steiner based on the plethora of E-sport players who go there? Will the clans quickly win because the weapons are not balanced proper or something screws up in a nerf/buff?

They say they want the lines dynamic... but how dynamic and will they artificially control things to make sure the factions remain balanced?

That's scary stuff to consider.

#152 Attmark

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:42 AM

ECM,ECM,ECM,ECM,ECM......
LRM,LRM,LRM,LRM,LRM......
PGI's Balance idea is ****.

#153 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostAttmark, on 17 April 2014 - 04:42 AM, said:

ECM,ECM,ECM,ECM,ECM......
LRM,LRM,LRM,LRM,LRM......
PGI's Balance idea is ****.

And yet ACs/PPCs win tournaments. Hmmm... I detect a flaw in this logic.

Maybe... JUST maybe... we need to have ECM affect direct fire too... as it's supposed to.

Edited by Kjudoon, 17 April 2014 - 10:31 AM.

#154 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 16 April 2014 - 11:17 PM, said:

That's scary stuff to consider.

Apparently we are only fighting over the borders to prevent just that.

It was a concern I had, as on my WoW server, if they had implemented global conquest or whatever - the Alliance on my server would have disappeared almost instantly (they had one decent PVP player - and he moved over there so he could fight against his old guildmates or something like that) - Koniving linked to an old post (that I have bookmarked on my gaming pc) describing how they want to do it.

View PostKjudoon, on 17 April 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

I detect a flaw in this logic.

And people wonder why PGI/IGP/Micro$oft doesn't listen to them after posts like that. :lol:

Edited by Shar Wolf, 17 April 2014 - 10:39 AM.

#155 Whiteagle

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 17 April 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

And yet ACs/PPCs win tournaments. Hmmm... I detect a flaw in this logic.

Maybe... JUST maybe... we need to have ECM affect direct fire too... as it's supposed to.

Wait, WHAT?!?!

...How would Electronic Counter Measures stop me from shooting you when I can clearly SEE YOU!
And which AutoCannons are winning tournaments anyways?
I highly doubt it was the AC/2, even before it was nerfed into uselessness...

#156 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

ECM stops TAG at 180m (and I've been seeing it stopped even farther) even though it is a visual aim enhancer that shouldn't be able to be blocked by invisible ECM. I have spoken to the devs and they said this is how it is supposed to work that ECM gets into the targetting system and cancels it there. That's direct from PGI regarding a service ticket issue I had in explaining why TAG does not work on ECM mechs at under 180m.

Ergo, all direct fire weapons should be able to be messed witih via ECM. Of course, if ECM isn't OP, it shouldn't be an issue to affect the targeting reticle of all weapons using what they have stated is the rules and you shouldn't have any problem with that.

Edited by Kjudoon, 17 April 2014 - 11:41 AM.

#157 vonSeydlitz

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:49 AM

Allowing the purchase of MC is a great idea. It allows me to skip grinding cash and at the same time financially supports the development of the game I play. How can that be unfair???

#158 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

To a certain extent, ECM already affects direct fire weapons.

Consider how many times you've shot a mech through trees or smoke that you had targeted? Had that mech been under ECM and not targeted, those shots would either have been more difficult or impossible to begin with,

#159 Whiteagle

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 17 April 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

ECM stops TAG at 180m (and I've been seeing it stopped even farther) even though it is a visual aim enhancer that shouldn't be able to be blocked by invisible ECM. I have spoken to the devs and they said this is how it is supposed to work that ECM gets into the targetting system and cancels it there. That's direct from PGI regarding a service ticket issue I had in explaining why TAG does not work on ECM mechs at under 180m.

Ergo, all direct fire weapons should be able to be messed witih via ECM. Of course, if ECM isn't OP, it shouldn't be an issue to affect the targeting reticle of all weapons using what they have stated is the rules and you shouldn't have any problem with that.

Ok, so you think that because the TARGETING LASER for MISSILES gets screwed with by ECM, ALL WEAPONS should be effected by it?

...That's just... so wrong it hurts...

View PostDracol, on 17 April 2014 - 11:52 AM, said:

To a certain extent, ECM already affects direct fire weapons.

Consider how many times you've shot a mech through trees or smoke that you had targeted? Had that mech been under ECM and not targeted, those shots would either have been more difficult or impossible to begin with,

>Using the Triangle to aim your shots...
...Son, do you even Snipe?

#160 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

View PostWhiteagle, on 17 April 2014 - 04:47 PM, said:

Ok, so you think that because the TARGETING LASER for MISSILES gets screwed with by ECM, ALL WEAPONS should be effected by it?

...That's just... so wrong it hurts...

>Using the Triangle to aim your shots...
...Son, do you even Snipe?

Actually, the TAG is unneccessary to target LRMs unless an ECM is present. Even then, you are still supposed to be able to get locks if you get close enough or have enough time... but yet it doesn't happen that way. It is a supplimental piece of equipment that is supposed to guide missiles in and enhance sensors, just like targetting lasers today do. It is the devs saying that the laser is not blocked, but your targetting computer that is blocked. The same thing that you hit "R" to get target info with that is invalidated by ECM. Therefore, if it is not the TAG that's being effected but the targetting computer that gives you the little reticle and all that, all weapons should be effected by ECM.

I didn't make this up. It's what the devs told me when I wanted to know why TAG doesn't work at under 180 (and now not at all in many cases) against ECM. So.. yeah, ACs, lasers, machine guns, PPCs, SRMs have all been given immunity from something that should be screwed up by ECM. The instant you get hit with "Low Signal" by a jamming mech, your crosshairs should vanish or flicker and jump very much like what happens to LRMs trying to get lock. The only thing that should be able to block TAG is smoke or cover inside its range.\\

But I know you don't want that because that will just mean you have to suffer instead of benefit from ECM being OP and improperly applied, and you don't want that. It's okay to be OP as long as it you benefit. Who cares about balance, all you have to do is play to the flaws in the game, and screw everyone else who doesn't do the same, right? That's all part of the L2P meme and abusing broken game mechanics is also part of the game you need just accept even if it can ruin the game. Why bother making it right, it doesn't harm you, in fact... it makes your life easier and well... it doesn't matter if it's balanced or not. You got yours.

That's so wrong it's sad.

Edited by Kjudoon, 17 April 2014 - 05:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users