#21 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 21 April 2014 - 08:25 PM, said:

What would happen if PGI cut a deal with the licence holders of Macross and made them 'guest' appearances from the Macross saga instead of Robotech? At least the Phalanx(missile boat with round arms) could also be included. Keep the Macross names as well. Wasp? No thats a Veritech! Well, here's to deaming...

Nice model !!!

Well one because Veritech is Robotech garbage. In Macross they're simply Variable Fighters, which is what the VF on their legs stand for. Sort of like the Mars Base MB on the Mospeada stuff which also went unmentioned though the fighter's actual name was Valkyrie, which they mention once but in Macross sort of becomes a nick-name for all Variable Fighters.

Still, what it seems Harmony Gold claims to have beyond naming trademarks and production rights on the original show (bought, not produced by of course) is the mechanizing. That includes games and there's simply no way to claim legal immunity by claiming it's from one show, when that show was the footage used for the other show. So even if they did get an okay from Bigwest, Harmony Gold would be able to stick their noses in it. Only way to prevent that is to strip them of everything but I think that would require a big chunk of change and Bigwest to be interested in it.

#22 Liam Salem

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:22 PM

I don't think it'll be a problem if they release it. I mean, after all, the Thunderbolt falls into the same category for sueing and yet they released it. Most of the mechs from Project Phoenix are robotech or macross ones. Happens when you hire the same artists between shows lol

Besides, so long as they didn't make it a requirement to buy it with real money and offer the option to use FREE in-game currency (c-bills), no lawyer could touch them unless the lawyer was really really really tenacious. Free to Play game alleviates a lot of legalities and copy-right infringements, so long as the Dev's give credit where it's due. Pretty sure that's why we haven't seen certain mechs yet, due to legalities. I mean, they offer the option to buy mechs with real cash. Probably a lot of C.Y.A. goes on to get a mech chassis released, in terms of legalities.

Off that tangeant, Beautiful model there. I wish I had the patience to paint my Ral-Partha mini's with such detail but sadly, it's either paint them or play MWO and I'm far from anywhere NEAR as good as half as good as you lol Love the battle damage paint btw.

#23 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:19 AM

View PostLiam Salem, on 22 April 2014 - 10:22 PM, said:

I don't think it'll be a problem if they release it. I mean, after all, the Thunderbolt falls into the same category for sueing and yet they released it. Most of the mechs from Project Phoenix are robotech or macross ones. Happens when you hire the same artists between shows lol

Nope. The Thunderbolt does not fall into the same category as the Macross designs. The Thunderbolt is from an anime called Fang of the Sun Dougram which Harmony Gold has never had anything to do with and therefore are not interested in. The reason it along with the other Dougram designs (all the other Phoenix pack mechs except the Locust, which is from Crusher Joe) was made Unseen as well way back when is because FASA basically said "screw it, we're not taking any chances on having to go to court over any other designs" so they made every design not created in-house Unseen. Basically they overreacted a wee bit, but given that they were a small company and probably wouldn't have survived another lawsuit, no matter if they could win it or not, it's understandable.

Now, back on topic: That's an absolutely beautifully assembled and painted model! I'm actually in the process of putting together that very kit myself at the moment, and I have to say I'm really impressed with the quality Wave put into it. If their other kits are as good I'll definitely be getting those as well.

Won't be painting mine in Robotech colors though. To me it will always be a Warhammer, and if you have one or more Warhammer models I believe the BattleTech Law says at least one has to be painted up as the Black Widow's ride. :) I'm also tempted to get a second one and paint it up like the Warhammer on the original BattleTech box.

Posted Image

I've also got a Bandai 1:72 scale VF-1S Valkyrie model which I'll be starting on after I finish the Hammer, but I've yet to find a good paintscheme for that one. Anyone know of any famous/infamous Wasp or Phoenix Hawk pilots with a good paintscheme?

Edited by Steinar Bergstol, 18 February 2015 - 07:22 AM.

#24 Mech42Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 917 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:16 PM

Shin yodama piloted one through the clan invasion for the dcms.

#25 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:55 PM

Do not keep confusing the mechs like the Shadowhawk and Thunderbolt (Dougram origins) with the mechs like the Warhammer and Marauder (Macross, licensed to Harmony Gold for the USA). The Revell models are an entire other ball of wax. I had several including a Thunderbolt painted to match my LEAD Thunderbolt miniature from Ral Partha for the board game. I still have a complete transformable veritech fighter Revell Robotech kit in the box and on the sprues. I also had the DC comic, they were atrocious.

Harmony Gold's Robotech is now being used for a miniature game, see here: http://boardgamegeek...ech-rpg-tactics

See this very nice shot of what we know as a Marauder facing down a Warhammer Posted Image

Here is a handy dandy drawings showing the relative sizes. You will note that Fasa completely jiggered up the scales when tranfering this to Battledroids as the "Wasp" is far taller than the "Warhammer"
:Posted Image

Now for the table top game you can get all the mechs from Iron Wind Metals although those known as "Unseen" are rather ugly and different from the originals. http://ironwindmetal...ex.php?cPath=16
See this Marauder and compare it to the beautiful one above (and this is the BEST of them):
Posted Image

I see the chances of Harmony Gold licensing the designs again as pretty damn unlikely especially given the new tabletop game they released that I linked to above.

#26 Mech42Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:22 AM

View PostKen Harkin, on 20 February 2015 - 10:55 PM, said:

See this Marauder and compare it to the beautiful one above (and this is the BEST of them):
Posted Image
Naw Im gonna have to say that the 4X looks a little better than that. (In my opinion)
Posted Image
And with a few mods it can look like the shimmering sword marauder As they have roughly the same demensions.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Mech42Ace, 21 February 2015 - 08:23 AM.

#27 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:45 AM

So basically all the old mechs can be used, they must just look different from the originals which even ones like the Shadowhawk from Dougram do.

#28 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:44 PM

Greetings all,

Reference those 'fragile' antenna's,

Select a micro drill and position the holes for the antenna, use stainless steel wire for the elements.
- No need to worry about bending them as they are quite strong.
- You can even get SS tubing in micro sizes, to act as lower 'sleeves' for the antennas.

Great work on the model.
- But might be a little 'too clean' for a war machine.

I refer to something along the line of this art work of that 'Mech:
Posted Image

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 21 February 2015 - 12:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users