28 replies to this topic

#1 LoPanShui

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 456 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

Hi, I'm LoPanShui, some of you may know me from my appearances in such threads as "Favorite Time Period For Battletech" or "Lancea - Hardened Armor Artillery Mech".

This weekend I am going to play a quick game of BattleTech with someone who usually stomps me pretty hard. The match will be incredibly simple, I pick a 3025 BattleMech and he will pick one of equal tonnage, or 5 tons lower, then we will fight.

I would like to put up more than a token resistance in this one on one duel, and am looking for advice on 'Mech choice, general strategy and sneaky ******* moves. I am not a very experienced player, to be honest, and would love some help in losing with dignity or perhaps even pulling off a win.

Thank you.

#2 Spokes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

It's been a long time since I've played table top, but maybe some of this will be accurate helpful. ;)

Most table top matches I've played revolved around trying to maneuver onto an opponent's flank and take shots at the thin rear armor. You can't do this in a one-on-one duel-- your opponent will always be able to torso twist to avoid damage to the rear armor. One-on-ones really leave you at the mercy of the dice, so don't be discouraged if you lose.

Don't be afraid of choosing a 'Mech with thin rear armor. You will always have an opportunity to torso twist before weapons fire is exchanged, so your opponent will never be able to hit your back armor.

BattleMechs with arm mounted weapons can shoot into the hex directly behind them. By torso twisting and extending the arm, a 'Mech may shoot directly to their rear, though only with weapons on that arm. There are two exceptions. First, 'Mechs that don't have lower arm actuators like the Blackjack and Rifleman may not do this, though they may flip both arms over to shoot into their rear arc. That leaves their rear armor vulnerable though. Second, big weapons (LRM-20, AC/20) that spill critical spaces into the side torso are restricted to the torso firing arc and cannot "flex" far enough to shoot behind them. The VTR-9B Victor is the example that comes to mind.

Don't let your opponent know what 'Mech you've chosen before they make their choice. If you do, they can select a machine tailored to the strengths and weaknesses of your ride.

Don't be afraid of ammo based weapons. With only a single opponent, odds are very good you won't run out of ammunition. Conversely, many designs that rely on energy weapons (MAD-3R I'm looking at you) work best when they can back off for a round in order to cool down, and that's very hard when you don't have friendlies to help screen you.

Avoid fire support 'Mechs. 'Mech's like Trebuchet, Archer, Catapult and Awesome are formidable, but they are designed to support (and be supported by) other 'Mechs. Watch for weapons that have a minimum range, like LRMs and PPCs, and avoid 'Mechs that rely too heavily on them.

Be wary of close range brawlers. At the other end of the spectrum, 'Mechs like the Hunchback have an incredible amount of close in firepower but are very slow and have no long range weapons. 'Mechs like these can be kited if the map is big enough.

Partial cover is not your friend! Entering partial cover (usually getting behind a level 1 hill or entering depth 1 water) gives your opponent a flat +3 penalty to hit you. That's substantial, but it also lets them role on the punch hit location table. Any fire that does hit you has a 1 in 6 chance of hitting your cockpit.

Avoid going into water. Though billed as a quick way to cool down, few 'Mechs mount heatsinks in their legs and so get no cooling bonus for entering depth 1 water. In addition to the partial cover problem discussed above, walking through water slows you down and incurs pilot skill rolls that can cause you to fall. Body locations that have breached armor will flood if submerged and will be treated as destroyed for the rest of the match. Jump jets do not work underwater, so depth 1 temporarily disables leg jets and depth 2 temporarily disables all jets. Do not go into the water! :lol:

Use forest tiles to your advantage. You take a penalty from shooting into a forest tile, but not for shooting out of one. Heavy forest tiles make great sniper nests, giving your attacker a penalty to hit you, while allowing you to stand still and enjoy a significant to-hit advantage.

Faster 'Mechs are inherently more stable firing platforms. As an attacker, your to-hit roll is affected by how you moved, not how far you moved. Conversely, as a target, your opponent's to-hit roll is affected by how far you've moved, not how you did it.

For example, a CN9-A Centurion has a walking movement of 4, and a running movement of 6. A PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk has a walking movement of 6, and a running movement of 9. Lets say both 'Mechs move forward 6 hexes. For anyone shooting at the Centurion or Phoenix Hawk, that motion is going to incur a +2 to-hit penalty. However, the Hawk can move those 6 hexes at a walk, whereas the Centurion needs to run. The Phoenix Hawk only gets a +1 penalty for its movement if it wants to return fire, while the Centurion takes a +2 penalty.

Attacker

Stationary: +0
Walked: +1
Ran: +2
Jumped: +3

Target
Moved 0-2 Hexes: +0
Moved 3-4 Hexes: +1
Moved 5-6 Hexes: +2
Moved 7-9 Hexes: +3
Moved 10+ Hexes: +4
Target Jumped: Additional +1

Two additional things to note here. First, turning (changing hex facing with your legs) does not make you harder to hit. In real life, zig zaging is a good way to avoid fire. In BattleTech, you're better off moving in a straight line. Second, jumping is a +3 penalty for outgoing fire, but only a +1 penalty for incoming fire. Jumping four or fewer hexes gives you a greater attack penalty than it gives you a defensive bonus.

Be mindful of your opponent's "threat radius". If you lose initiative for that round, you have to move your 'Mech first. This allows your opponent to control the distance of the engagement, ending his or her movement so that you are in optimum weapon's range, or outside of your own optimum range, or both. If your opponent is fast enough to reach your hex, you've just opened yourself up to a physical attack! An AC/20 has a short range of 3 hexes, a medium range of 6 hexes, and a maximum range of 9 hexes-- if your opponent has an AC/20 and wins initiative, they are going to try to end their movement within 3 hexes of you. Don't let them!

Fundamentally, BattleTech is about probability and threshold values. 2d6 dice rolls function on a bell curve-- you have a much greater chance of scoring a 6 or a 7 than you do a 3 or an 11. So if the base roll is a 6, a +1 penalty is not a huge deal. If the base roll is a 9 or a 10, it's a huge difference.

Know where your "break points" or thresholds are. If I move forward one extra hex, is that going to give my opponent an additional penalty to hit me? Is it going to give me a penalty? Is that extra point of heat going to give me a penalty? Is there a "sweet spot" distance where my weapons will be in short range but my opponent's will be medium range? Try to keep your net modifiers as low as possible while keeping your opponent's as high as possible.

I hope this helps. Let me know if something didn't make sense or if you have further questions.

#3 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

If you pick a Jumping Mech try to pick one with the JJ in the Torso so you can jump into and out of water. JJ are very usefull because if you loose the Initiative roll you can jump to someplace were you cannot be seen or into woods were it would be harder to hit you.

Also, Know what mech he is piloting and were its blind spots are. You may be able to jump to a spot were he can only torso twist and fire half his weapons at you.

1V1 is a chess match. I have seen Lights and Meds kill Heavies and Assaults in 1V1.

#4 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

As said JumpJets:
You can hope for the dice - take a
JR7-F Jenner (the vanilla Jenner)
Fire Javelin for 30t is also a good choice

Or if you want more armor and firepower but still decent mobility: Wolverine 6M
(SRM,Large Laser, 2xMedium Laser and 5/8/5 (always a +3 def while jumping)

If you are able to keep your Record Sheet secret:
Vindicator VND-1SIC (just tell him its a Vindicator - so he thinks that you have a PPC - and will rush...but you don't have a PPC you have a Large Laser)

And he chooses after you - maybe with 5t less?
hehe take a
Mongoose 67 (for short range)
68 with Large Laser but slower (for long range)

Other good opportunity..... but slower - Grasshopper

Or you take the Vanilla Banshee 3S - there is hardly any "assault" mech in 3025 that is that dangerous

Edited by Karl Streiger, 16 April 2014 - 11:02 PM.

#5 Sam Hall

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:00 AM

View PostSpokes, on 16 April 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

Partial cover is not your friend! Entering partial cover (usually getting behind a level 1 hill or entering depth 1 water) gives your opponent a flat +3 penalty to hit you. That's substantial, but it also lets them role on the punch hit location table. Any fire that does hit you has a 1 in 6 chance of hitting your cockpit.

Sup oldgrog buddy. That's how partial cover worked back when I used to play (shortly before FASA decided that getting paid for making games was boring and that they would like to instead try going bankrupt for a change), but the rules have been changed in recent years. Now it's only a +1 to hit and you roll on the normal table, but any shots to your legs are blocked by the cover. This actually makes quadmechs really useful on maps with plenty of partial cover, as that's 4 whole sections of the mech's anatomy totally shielded from return fire.

Anyway, 3025 era mech suggestions. Personally I like the Gladiator 4R a lot; it's tough, has some hole-punch and some critseek, and it's crazy maneuverable for its size. My Gladiator game plan is basically just spend the whole match plinking away with the PPC using 5 jump or 7 run and partial cover to keep the other guy's to-hit penalties worse than mine, and try not to get backed into a corner.

The Hunchie is also a possibility, as it will wreck anything its own weight or lighter in a stand up fight. Downside is, you are not fast enough to force a stand up fight if your opponent does not want to give you one.

Comedy option: Charger. Just think how hilarious it will be if you win.

#6 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

View PostSpokes, on 16 April 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

View PostSam Hall, on 17 April 2014 - 12:00 AM, said:

Sup oldgrog buddy. That's how partial cover worked back when I used to play (shortly before FASA decided that getting paid for making games was boring and that they would like to instead try going bankrupt for a change), but the rules have been changed in recent years. Now it's only a +1 to hit and you roll on the normal table, but any shots to your legs are blocked by the cover. This actually makes quadmechs really useful on maps with plenty of partial cover, as that's 4 whole sections of the mech's anatomy totally shielded from return fire.

It all depends on which rule set you are using. I hope you are using the Total Warfare rule book. Remember is any of your legs is missing all of its armor it will automatically become "Flooded" if you enter water. Also, If you enemy is standing near water try push him in.

#7 LoPanShui

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 456 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

Unfortunately the Gladiator's obsolete by this time. We're only going to be using 'Mechs from 3025 and the 3025 Revised books. I was thinking of using a Phoenix Hawk because the mobility + Firepower is really great for a 'Mech of its tonnage. And I actually was considering bringing a Charger to see if he'd bring a PPC heavy 'Mech without hand actuators like a Marauder or a Warhammer, but that was more of a gag than anything else.

Any advice for a Phoenix Hawk?

#8 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

Hunchback is a beast in TT, the AC/20 is pretty much a PSR every time it connects, and it can tear all the armor off of a single hit location on a medium mech, meaning that you will get at least a few chances for critical hits. Remember to play defensively until you can get within close/medium range, and walk when you intend to fire the autocannon, as you want your to-hit roll as small as possible. Took one up against a Centurion recently, and the match was over in only three turns. (two if you count from where both mechs could shoot each other.

#9 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

I'll bite and give you some tips, though my true expertise lies with Clan mechs and 3050+ IS tech:

General:
- Always use kick when you get in close enough for physical attacks.
- Mechs with hands can uproot trees and use them as clubs (you need to be in a wooded tile)
- Wooded tiles give cover, most notably missiles become less effective here. You can set wooded tiles on fire with lasers/flamers/PPC's.

Panther PNT-9R: The PPC at 35 tons is a excellent weapon, switch to SRM's when your enemy closes in though.

Trebuchet TBT-5N: use this sucker in a wide open map to pelt your enemy with LRM's. Don't be afraid to move your mech back from time to time. Only use those lasers when the enemy comes in range or when you are out of ammo.

Crab CRB-20: All energy config, this sucker can run hot though.

Hunchback HBK-4G: A classic city fighter, pick this guy for a city or canyon type map.

And the Phoenix Hawk you requested:

PXH-1: Runs hot at 20 max heat and 10 dissipation, you'll find yourself switching to MG's if your enemy is at close range. I don't recommend this one.

PXH-1D: Slightly more heat efficient with 12 dissipation, it lacks the MG's. You'll need a good firing solution here. You can remain heat neutral if you fire 1 medium and large laser without moving. Don't push this machine too far, but atleast you don't have to worry about ammo explosions.

PXH-1K: At max heat 17 and dissipation 13 you have a pretty good thing going here, though the lack of jumpjets might be too much of a sacrifice if you value mobility.

#10 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

View PostLoPanShui, on 17 April 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

Unfortunately the Gladiator's obsolete by this time. We're only going to be using 'Mechs from 3025 and the 3025 Revised books. I was thinking of using a Phoenix Hawk because the mobility + Firepower is really great for a 'Mech of its tonnage. And I actually was considering bringing a Charger to see if he'd bring a PPC heavy 'Mech without hand actuators like a Marauder or a Warhammer, but that was more of a gag than anything else.

Any advice for a Phoenix Hawk?

1D. Those heat sinks are worth ditching the MGs. Remember with a Phoenix Hawk while most 3025 40 ton 'Mechs might not carry the level of firepower it has, all have at least one variant that out ranges it; only the Cicada, Hermes II, and Sentry lack jump jets; and the Clint, Sentry, Hermes II, Vulcan, and Whitworth (which is slower) will not out run it. As for 45 ton 'Mechs, everything other than another Phoenix Hawk is slower than you. They all have more armor, heavier weapons payloads, jump jets, and the same or longer ranges.

Edited by Nathan Foxbane, 17 April 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#11 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:37 AM

My fav is the TDR-5S Thunderbolt. At 65 tons it carries a great array of short, med and long range , guns, lasers, missiles. It can brawl, has hands for clubbing, and 4 heat sinks in the lower leg so water IS an option. Im thinking optimal range is around 6 or 7 hexes for med and large laser, lrm 15 strike. Plus if yer gonna go Old School, go back to one of the original UNSEEN. Its good on heat as well, 15 is lots for a 3025 IS mech.

#12 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:46 AM

Personally, i have always loved the Marauder-the reseen design and mny first choice would have been a Marauder variant. Sorry, i tell a lie. My first IS choice is a Marauder. My first choice is a Timber Wolf, but sadly at the timeline you are playing the Timber Wolf is unavailable and most of the good solo Marauder variants have yet to be produced, meaning that you will need considerable skill to make a MAD work.

Based on this, i would advise a Thunderbolt, either a TDR-5S or a TDR-5SE. The formor has a vast array of firepower available and with 15 heatsinks has good cooling efficiency. The latter drops some of the firepower for some extra sneaky manouvrability that can be useful.
Whats more, by using one you are tieing your opponent into using 60 tonners. And whilst many of these are great in a lance, on a one on one they can struggle. Think Dragon :(

#13 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:12 AM

View PostLoPanShui, on 16 April 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

Hi, I'm LoPanShui, some of you may know me from my appearances in such threads as "Favorite Time Period For Battletech" or "Lancea - Hardened Armor Artillery Mech".

This weekend I am going to play a quick game of BattleTech with someone who usually stomps me pretty hard. The match will be incredibly simple, I pick a 3025 BattleMech and he will pick one of equal tonnage, or 5 tons lower, then we will fight.

I would like to put up more than a token resistance in this one on one duel, and am looking for advice on 'Mech choice, general strategy and sneaky ******* moves. I am not a very experienced player, to be honest, and would love some help in losing with dignity or perhaps even pulling off a win.

Thank you.

If you're going pure 3025, I'd select the Phoenix Hawk.

Its quick and agile so no matter what the terrain you should do well movement wise, and a LL hand hand held will give you good sustainable firepower. Try not to Alpha strike though, watch the heat.

Also, if you opponent has to take a 45 ton mech you should enjoy significant advantages. The other 3025 45's are slower so you should have a movement advantage. If he drops 5 tons he is looking at Clints or Cicada's or something of that ilk which has significantly less armour which your LL can take advantage of.

Initially jump every turn the range is about 10 hexes and try and maintain an alternating fire pattern of jump and LL, jump into blocked LOS / partial cover. If he loses initiative and backs off, thats the opportunity for you to use your 9 hex run with maybe one facing turn and bring some heavier firepower to bear. Ideally this gets you to one hex or so and your heat free MG's can be added to the salvo.

Then jump away and cool dawn.

Basically, hit and fade, hit and fade, don't get bogged down and watch you heat. If you haven't moved 6 or more hexes, your in trouble that turn.

May the cubes of fate come up double 6, double 6, double six :(

#14 LoPanShui

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 456 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

Ok, the game never happened due to some scheduling issues, so now I'm asking for some more advice.

We'll be running a 3025 campaign, and I'm bringing a Lyran lance, one for each weight class. I'd really like a very Lyran feel, but I only have the 'Mechs in the introductory box. Because I wanted a Lyran feel I picked up a Zeus and a Commando and painted them up as Lyran Guard. What should I take for my Medium and Heavy? I was thinking a Quickdraw and a Dervish, but I feel that might make me way too missile heavy, plus when I tested it out in Megamek I got my butt kicked by a Locust, Vindicator, Warhammer and Stalker lance. I would love to bring a Hatchetman, but I don't have a model for it!

#15 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

Hatchetman, Griffin (1N & 1S), Phoenix Hawk (1), Hunchback (any 4 series), Vulcan (2T), and Sentinal (3K, 3KA, & 3KB) for mediums, all produced in the LyrCom. Heavies include the Archer (2R), Marauder (3R), Flashman (7K), and Rifleman (3N).

#16 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

LoPanShui:

Man, has your friend got your number! By allowing you to choose your mech first, then choosing his mech to be "equivalent" to yours, what he's doing is seeing what mech you choose, then choosing a mech that will specifically exploit your own mech's weaknesses. If you go with a mech that's primarily long range, he'll take a sneaky brawler, you go for close range punch, he'll grab something that will dance the whole game out of your range. Instead suggest to your friend that you agree upon a tonnage first, then you each choose your mechs blind.

#17 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

View PostLoPanShui, on 22 April 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

Ok, the game never happened due to some scheduling issues, so now I'm asking for some more advice.

We'll be running a 3025 campaign, and I'm bringing a Lyran lance, one for each weight class. I'd really like a very Lyran feel, but I only have the 'Mechs in the introductory box. Because I wanted a Lyran feel I picked up a Zeus and a Commando and painted them up as Lyran Guard. What should I take for my Medium and Heavy? I was thinking a Quickdraw and a Dervish, but I feel that might make me way too missile heavy, plus when I tested it out in Megamek I got my butt kicked by a Locust, Vindicator, Warhammer and Stalker lance. I would love to bring a Hatchetman, but I don't have a model for it!

OK, well a Lyran lance on pure 3025 standard production tech, now you can explore some tactics.

Ideally you want to try and match the speed of most of you lance, so you don't get strung out, but you still want some speed for turning the enemy and rear attacks.

Heres my recommendation

Zeus, Archer, Centurian, Commando

This lance has no jump jets so you need to make sure your waypointing is through open terrain as much as possible so you don't get slowed down.

Set your med + mechs in a triangle formation, the base to your enemy with the Zeus and Centurian in the van. Your Archer sits behind these two in the middle and back say 4 - 6 hexes. Your Commando sits on whichever flank the enemy position dictates initially level with the van mechs.

Every turn, your main body should be moving 5 hexes at least, thats running speed with one turn. Your Commando should be moving full speed to, 8 hexes with one turn. (Turns are optional, but you should never be making more than one hex turn to keep your speed up)

Over the first few turns, your Commando will creep in front of the main body, watch this, don't let him get isolated. Plan out your moves so that terrain blocks line of sight from his mechs from time to time, it will reduce incoming fire.

As your main body comes into range, you should be firing max weapons without over heating, keep cool at this stage. Keep your formation and keep your speed up. Concentrate your fire on one enemy mech at a time per phase, but if he doesn't go down dw, just keep your speed up and keep moving.

As the enemy closes, he will no doubt try and get rear shots, now is where your formation pays off. You should be able to torso twist any mech to put fire on any his trying to get into the rear sectors. The Archer will add massive short range fire from its position against any flankers and has 2 ML in the rear to take care of itself.

By now every turn your should be hitting with 4 LRM launchers and probably the AC's with some effect. Concentrate your fire on his slower and less armoured mechs, your goal is to reduce his numbers and start steamrolling. Push your heat up to ride the curve and maximise your damage output when shooting conditions are favourable (any roll of 8+ is a good benchmark).

Use your Commando to come across his rear quadrant threatening back shots to force him to torso twist (reducing fire on your main body) or better yet, spend more MP manauvering slowing him down and making him an easier target.

By now ranges should be short, its time to pour it in. Pick off any mech that is damaged or weak, but your priority targets are anything thats slow and short range. Its your best shot and if you pushing the heat, make every shot count. If conditions are favourable and he is not in your rear, you might be able to take a few heat adjustments in safety knowing he cannot turn quickly enough to engage you while you cool down.

Ideally this is when your Commando shines, coming back in to pick off any slowed and damaged enemies under the covering fire of your main body. Keep your Commando's speed up and get close (3 hexes) before firing with this tactic, fast strikes and let your momentum carry you out of range are the order of the day.

Execute a slow turn (one hex per phase) and rinse repeat.

Your worst enemy in this type of engagement is dense terrain, don't go in it. Wait for him to come out if he is hiding in there (or engage his other mechs) unless you have a clear superiority in mech power.

Good luck

#18 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:06 AM

Your taking a lance *grins slowly*
Now is the time to take that Marauder out and consider it.

My usual choice is the stock 3R for this era. It can run very hot on the alpha strike, but i tend to stand back at range, using the AC5 and one PPC to deal a steady stream of damage. If needs must then the second PPC can be brought to bear, but this causes heat issues. This Mech is best a longer ranges, where it can deal a steady stream of damage without over heating or worrying about minimal range. It makes an ideal fire support mech.

The 3M is another good choice, and is probably better for you. The swapping of the PPC's for Large Lasers and the addidition of 4 SHS make this Mech a far cooler runner. Although it lacks the hard punch of the PPC's it can now afford to fire off both its primary weapons together without the risk of overheating. Whats more, due to the lack of minimal range on the Large Lasers this unit can close with the enemy without fear, allowing it to fulfill dual roles, that of the fire support Mech and that of the brawler Mech.

The 3L attempts to be the best of both worlds, and it can be good. That said, it is not as cool running as the 3M or as hard hitting as the 3R, so i dont advise it.

The 3D adds in a large lase and so reduces heat efficiency still further, not a good thing with this Mech. Do not touch.

Based off what we can tell about you, the Marauder MAD-3M is by far the best for you, it requires very little heat managment but still retains the hitting power. Protection comes from 11.5 tons of armour, which while a little low, is FF and is respectable for a Mech of this role. The 3M is also very flexible, either giving direct fire support or closing or the kill. It functions well at all ranges and most terrains.

After that i would add in an Atlas, either a D if you like the ability to blow opponents off your back or a D-DC if you want sneaky ECM coverage. The LRM-20 functions as the long range weapon but the reals strength comes in up close in the form of an AC20 and an SRM6. If possible get hex-to-hex with your opponent. This will allow you to punch instead of firing those Medium Lasers. Your punches deal more damage and generates no heat.
An RS can also be considered, although this unit isnt always preferable.

Now for a medium. Go for a Hunchback and fulfill the data sheets for all. That way you can decide on the day. The 4G is a great choice for close quarters, is not a hot runner and mounts an AC20.

The 4N increases the range slightly but can run hot. However, its a good trade off for maps with open areas.

The 4J excels at longer ranged maps and packs almpost as many missile tubes as a Catapult. With its lasers it can still brawl albeit with less efficiency as the 4N/4G.

The 4P is not a bad unit and can fire all but one of its Medium Lasers without overheating. Even if it alphastrikes, it will only be on 1-2 heat.

The 4SP is a breach exploiter Mech. With its 2 SRM6's it syenergies well with the Atlas, with the Atlas opening up targets with its AC20 and the Hunchback launching salvo's of missiles to exploit the inevitable armour breaches that result. If the target needs a little more can opener applied then the 4SP can use its 4 Medium Lasers. As a note, when close enough to punch do so rather than firing the lasers.

The 4N is another fire support Mech, with its AC5 and 2 LRM5's. It isnt a bad mech.

The final choice is up to you, but choose wisely.
I would probably suggest a Cicada CDA-"A or 3C.

Good luck, i/we hope this helped

#19 LoPanShui

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 456 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

This is all great stuff, but I am gonna have to go with the 'Mechs I have models for currently. The Intro Box Set doesn't have a Marauder, Centurion or Archer, sadly, or I would have definitely picked up the Archer. I love that sucker.

The Intro Box Set has:

Atlas
Awesome
Banshee
Cyclops
Zeus

Catapult
Dragon
Grasshopper
Jagermech
Quickdraw

Assassin
Cicada
Clint
Dervish
Enforcer
Hermes II
Hunchback
Trebuchet
Vindicator
Whitworth

Commando
Jenner
Panther
Spider

I need one of each weight class, and because I wanted a Lyran theme I'm using the Zeus and the Commando already. I was thinking of using the Hunchback (4G) and the Quickdraw (4H) to finish off my lance, but I'm still not 100% on the Quickdraw. My choice between two rear facing medium lasers or a rear facing SRM4 is kind of making me question it. I like having the lasers pointing forward, but I hate having a ton of ammo I'm not likely to ever deplete just sitting there waiting to explode.

#20 a rabid chihuahua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 378 posts
  • Locationat top of jump arc ..and out of fuel!

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

Just rememeber what ever you pick he will pick the same weight class or abou the same. A medium mech will give you the most armor,speed, and fire power combination in a good balance of all classes. JJ's are great to have ,use them as mentioned. A good mech for 3025 basic is Wolverine,Thunderbolt,and or ShadowHawk. Griffin is allright ,but restricted to PPC and LRm's for th most and they have the "dead zone" minimum range issues,so be warned if you go for this.Use the trees' if you have them, if not lite em up if he's hiding in them.You can start a forest on fire and heat up your opponent.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users