• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 178 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

Ok, my two bits as a TT veteran:

Assault - Awesome AWS-8Q

It's in use by the Lyrans as well, and it's arguably the best Level 1 tech base assault mech, certainly in the box set. Excellent firepower and range, very heavily armored, very heat efficient. Keep it at medium-long range and just pour fire out. If stationary, you can fire all 3 PPCs three rounds, then 2 PPCs one round, and then go back to 3 for three more, without incurring any accuracy effects. Resist the temptation to move any more than necessary, and walk instead of run when you can, particularly if you intend to fire on the move. Still, you can fire two PPCs while running without any fear of overheating. One or two hexes inside minimum range is not the end of the world if you're not on the move, but remember that at point-blank ranges, an AWS can be a monster with physical attacks. A 16 point kick can leg lights and some mediums in a single hit.

Heavy - Grasshopper GHR-5H

It's rare enough in the time period to make an equal argument for any faction. If you're using the AWS for ranged firepower, the GHR would be your in-fighter. It's an efficient energy-based brawler with good armor and is jump-capable. Jump-capable heavies can be devastating in in-fighting if you're taking proper advantage of your initiative. If you get it into a melee under the cover of your longer range mechs, and move it last or next-to-last, you can jump over behind the mechs you are close to and constantly be facing their backs at point-blank range, minimizing their ability to return fire or hit you with physical attacks, and constantly positioning yourself to take advantage of the very powerful physical attacks that a 70-ton mech can dish out.

Medium - Trebuchet TBT-5N

There are actually many very good options to use for this weight bracket that are justifiably Lyran. If I was using the GHR above, I would probably give one more mech with long range striking power to complement the Atlas, which is why I'd probably opt for the TBT-5N. Two LRM 15s with three medium lasers is good firepower at all ranges for the weight class. If you want to sacrifice one launcher for jump jets, you could also go 5J. Alternatively, it's hard to go wrong with HBKs, as there are many great options. If you want to bring another brawler, the 4P is Godly in tabletop as long as you can get it into range. I'd be more inclined to take the 4J (2x LRM 10 and 5 M Las) or possibly 4H (AC/10 and 4 M Las) to, again, have another long range mech.

Light - Jenner JNR-7F or Commando COM-1B

You want one fast harasser in your lance, and from the box set, nothing is better at that than the JNR. The Lyrans have fought the Kuritans enough in the era to say it's salvaged. 7F specifically because it has significantly better armor than the D. If not, and you really want to go for a more Lyran design, at least take the 1B instead of the default record sheet they use in the box. 1B has a large laser, medium laser, and SRM 2; you can at least TRY to stay out of harm's way and poke with the large laser somewhat. Alternatively, you could flip this on it's head and use a CDA as your fast harasser in the medium slot and a Panther as your light for range support. That little jump-capable PPC sniper is handy.

#22 Craig Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

View PostLoPanShui, on 23 April 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

This is all great stuff, but I am gonna have to go with the 'Mechs I have models for currently. The Intro Box Set doesn't have a Marauder, Centurion or Archer, sadly, or I would have definitely picked up the Archer. I love that sucker.

The Intro Box Set has:

Atlas
Awesome
Banshee
Cyclops
Zeus

Catapult
Dragon
Grasshopper
Jagermech
Quickdraw

Assassin
Cicada
Clint
Dervish
Enforcer
Hermes II
Hunchback
Trebuchet
Vindicator
Whitworth

Commando
Jenner
Panther
Spider

I need one of each weight class, and because I wanted a Lyran theme I'm using the Zeus and the Commando already. I was thinking of using the Hunchback (4G) and the Quickdraw (4H) to finish off my lance, but I'm still not 100% on the Quickdraw. My choice between two rear facing medium lasers or a rear facing SRM4 is kind of making me question it. I like having the lasers pointing forward, but I hate having a ton of ammo I'm not likely to ever deplete just sitting there waiting to explode.

If this is your mech choices, Lyran flavour is going to be the 2 mechs you alreayd have.

You could swap the Centurian for an Enforcer and a Catapult for the Archer and play the same tactic, thats going to be OK although you'll have to watch the Enforcers side.

However from this selection of mechs I would choose

Zeus, Grasshopper, Whitworth Dervish and Commando.

In the formation, your front line is the Zeus and the Grasshopper, with the Whitworth Dervish in the rear and the Commando flanking as before.

Use your jumpjets only to manage terrain if required, stay in the open as before with the Zeus always having clear waypointing.

Edited by Craig Steele, 23 April 2014 - 07:28 PM.

#23 CMetz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 289 posts
  • LocationCortlandt Manor, NY

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

I figured I would join in here and add my $.02.

1.) Make sure you guys are matching based on BV.
2.) If you are a weaker player try taking units that seem under-gunned but have HIGH armor. This will allow you to make a mistake or two on positioning and live to tell the tale.
3.) Mech suggestions:
Assault: Banshee 3S, Awesome 8Q
Heavy: Grasshopper (5H or 5N), Thunderbolt-5S (GREAT all-around unit in TT)
Medium: Wolverine 6R (good at all ranges, durable, great for kicking off legs, SRMs for crit seeking) or Kintaro 18 (tons of armor)
Light: Locust 1E (move fast to stay alive) or Wolfhound (the downgraded 3025 version)
4.) Never, EVER, EVER use sub-optimal movement. Know your movement modifiers. This is a game of dice, but you can tip the odds in your favor by not letting your opponent have easy to-hit numbers. You must create an advantage. Remember- 3 hexes is +1 for him to hit you, 5 is +2, 7 is +3 and 10 is +4. You must, whenever possible, at least make the modifiers match. (ie you run 5 hexes, so his modifier is +2, as is yours for running) To WIN you use your modifiers to your advantage. (example, walking 5 with a wolverine causes you a +1 because you walked, but your opponent a +2 because you moved 5 hexes) If you can't move fast enough to create an advantage use cover. If you're in a light woods hex your opponent gets an additional +1 modifier, and you get no modifier to hit him. These are light examples, but by making his modifiers higher than yours you create the advantage for yourself.
5.) If you are using different skilled pilots, put your better gunners in your most ranged units.
6.) Direct fire support (PPC's, Large Lasers, AC5's) are usually better than LRM's. LRM's only have 1 hex where they are at short range (7 hexes away). This makes it difficult to hit your opponent and often puts you at a disadvantage.
7.) Most importantly- be patient. Don't make a crazy rush on your opponent until you KNOW you can kill something in one turn and then get to cover in the next.

If I think of more, I'll post it... but HAVE FUN.

#24 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

Take the HBK-4G only if your entering close quarters fighting. Its too slow for longer ranged engagements. With the Quickdraw, take the rear Medium Laser variant. Your right about having that ammo sitting there.

That said, i would be inclined to take the Catapult as it is a good fie support Mech and it can handle itself close in as well.

As has been said above, the Enforcer is a good choice.It has enough range to be able to start hitting early on and hits well enough to hurt the foe. The lack of a minimal range is also a bonus.

#25 LoPanShui

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 456 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

Ok, so the one on one game went fairly poorly.

My Phoenix Hawk was setting the pace for the game, but despite consistently having one less to-hit than he did he hit me three times as many times, twice with his big old AC/10 and once I miscounted some Hexes and he got me with his hatchet. There was a whole lot of jumping around and tons upon tons of misses, but when I set myself up for good shots (6+ in his rear arc) I couldn't ever roll higher than a 4 to save my life. Both of his AC/10 hits on me were on a 10+, which I couldn't make to save my life.

With four out of his six hits smacking my arms over the course of an hour, and all my weapons being on them, I ran out of time (I had other stuff to do that night) so I DFA'd him needing a 12, missed, fell and considered it a suicide.

I guess sometimes dice are just jerks. I rolled boxcars four times in that game, but all four times were on initiative. Thanks a ton for all the help, guys. I'll probably be looking for more help in the future!

#26 Spokes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

Yeah, one-on-ones really leave you at the mercy of the dice. Thanks for the after action-- even if the match didn't fall in your direction, it was nice to hear how things went. ;)

#27 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

View PostLoPanShui, on 28 April 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

My Phoenix Hawk was setting the pace for the game, but despite consistently having one less to-hit than he did he hit me three times as many times, twice with his big old AC/10 and once I miscounted some Hexes and he got me with his hatchet. There was a whole lot of jumping around and tons upon tons of misses, but when I set myself up for good shots (6+ in his rear arc) I couldn't ever roll higher than a 4 to save my life. Both of his AC/10 hits on me were on a 10+, which I couldn't make to save my life.

With four out of his six hits smacking my arms over the course of an hour, and all my weapons being on them, I ran out of time (I had other stuff to do that night) so I DFA'd him needing a 12, missed, fell and considered it a suicide.

I guess sometimes dice are just jerks. I rolled boxcars four times in that game, but all four times were on initiative. Thanks a ton for all the help, guys. I'll probably be looking for more help in the future!

I feel your pain. I have had this happen to me many times. I would suggest that next only do a DFA as a last resort.

#28 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:08 AM

Hatchetman vs Phoenix Hawk...hm interesting mix....
one of the reaons i dislike small engagements....company size action last hours or even days but luck is far lesser concern (although your line may crumble - when a luck shot takes out one of your mechs)

#29 Craig Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:35 AM

View PostLoPanShui, on 28 April 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

Most often 1 vs 1 come down to initiative rolls, win initiative and you get optimal ranges and angles of targetting.

But it sounds like you lucked out all round, next time then :D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users