Free Thunderbolt = Energizing The Playerbase

BattleMechs General

32 replies to this topic

#1 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

Anyone else notice that the Thunderbolt is getting more press as a weekend challenge then it ever did as part of the Phoenix pack? They should do this more often with the under performing mechs (ones that are seen little to almost zero playtime on the battlefield).

Thoughts?

Edited by Egomane, 22 April 2014 - 11:43 AM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

If they ever did a free Locust challenge, there would be BLOOD.

EVERYWHERE.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!

#3 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

That smell.... it's called desperation.

#4 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

They should do something like this monthly. A free mech plus mechbay every month, with the only requirement being to win five games, would be the kind of thing that would keep people coming back. Once you get them coming back regularly, they start not leaving in the first place. Bam, more active players.

Plus it builds a ton of good will, and is a classy way to add new variants to existing mechs.

#5 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

Giveaways are always good for stimulating player activity and promotes decent customer relations; People like free things and rewards for their patronage.

#6 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

View Postlockwoodx, on 22 April 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

Nah. It's more like this:

Posted Image

#7 Phromethius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 124 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

Heffay, do you 3D model as a career or something? You always do stuff in 3D animation. Just curious

#8 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

View PostCreovex, on 22 April 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

"Free Thunderbolt = Energizing The Playerbase"

Thoughts?

Free stuff will always draw a crowd, any free stuff.

#9 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

View PostPhromethius, on 22 April 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

Heffay, do you 3D model as a career or something? You always do stuff in 3D animation. Just curious

Just a hobby. I'm just an IT manager in real life. But needless to say, my Powerpoint presentations are *always* the best around! ;)

#10 Phromethius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 124 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

Its good skill to have. I graphic design by trade but my first degree was in 3d animation.

To keep this relevant, I like the additional Thunderbolt. I bought those as my first heavies and I like the way they brawl. Yes I brawl with them. Standard Engines are my friends. Can't boat but then again I always have enjoyed well rounded builds

#11 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

Tbowls are surprisingly friendly XL brawlers, actually. The speed/maneuverability boost for the larger engine works nicely with the robust hitboxes to let you tank a lot of damage before you lose a side torso, if you're careful.

#12 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 22 April 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

Tbowls are surprisingly friendly XL brawlers, actually. The speed/maneuverability boost for the larger engine works nicely with the robust hitboxes to let you tank a lot of damage before you lose a side torso, if you're careful.

Same weight class as a Jager...and 80% of the Jagers you see are crammed full of XL's and guns. Same weight, same benefit to speed, better side torso hitboxes...the T-Bolt can rock an XL just fine...it's just that a bunch of lore has people thinking of them only as squat, urban brawlers.

#13 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

all these mechs feel so redundant nowadays i wish they had sized hard points

#14 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

They should do it every month as mentioned. If they don't want to particularly do a free mech, they can always alternate it with just a free mech bay one month, free mech + mech bay the next. And, to make it more interesting, they can give away under performing mechs for the free ones to get people playing them (or selling them) and buying 2 additional variants.

#15 Phromethius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 124 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

View PostJin Ma, on 22 April 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

all these mechs feel so redundant nowadays i wish they had sized hard points

I feel this way too, which is why I haven't bought anything in my two empty mech bays. I feel like picking up a locust just for something that FEELS different from my Jenner (only light) or Hunchbacks (only mediums) or Tbolts and Cataphracts (only heavies)

Don't have any assaults yet because I can't see myself as an assault player. Not enough practice in the "role"

#16 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

View PostCreovex, on 22 April 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

Anyone else notice that the Thunderbolt is getting more press as a weekend challenge then it ever did as part of the Phoenix pack? They should do this more often with the under performing mechs (ones that are seen little to almost zero playtime on the battlefield).

Thoughts?

I think I would have been playing this weekend anyways, but I liked the T-bolt challenge a lot along with the other sale items they had.(My favorite paint was only 125 Cbills if you put it on a Phoenix mech, which included the freebie T-bolt and the Wolverines I bought this weekend) The T-bolt won't see much play, and I won't be buying into T-bolts to master them, but I'll keep the mech as a novelty for now at least- since it has dual AMS, it at least has one thing that nothing else in my hangar can do.

They should do challenges like this on weekends much more often- I don't think they require a terrible amount of work on PGI's side of things and players love it, even if the prizes they are getting are just s.w.a.g. like mechbays, ugly duckling mechs, paintjobs and cockpit trinkets.

The only downside to a mech giveaway like this is that the PUG meta gets flooded with one mech for a little while- which hey, I had one really cool match where I got to kill like 4 T-bolts in a row....but on the other hand have had at least one match where I've seen more than 4 of them on my team and knew how that was probably going to end before the match even started, lol.

#17 Polignac

• PipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

View Postlockwoodx, on 22 April 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

I hope this isn't the case. It does somewhat worry me that perhaps these promotions are meant to staunch the bleeding instead of growing the player base. Anyone have any real insight into which it is?

#18 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostPolignac, on 22 April 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

I hope this isn't the case. It does somewhat worry me that perhaps these promotions are meant to staunch the bleeding instead of growing the player base. Anyone have any real insight into which it is?

I wouldn't ask that question around these forumites.

Edited by Ngamok, 22 April 2014 - 11:41 AM.

#19 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

Hmm I'm not sure I see more or less thunderbolts but I like mine before and after the free one. ;)

#20 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 22 April 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

They're not XL friendly against someone that can aim :angry:

I'm glad that PGI is doing this. It is a nice lil easter egg for the community and it shows that they appreciate us. They are, after all, losing money with this kind of promotion. So, keep it up!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users