26 Losses In A Row

64 replies to this topic

#21 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

View PostModo44, on 17 April 2014 - 09:01 PM, said:

Frankly, if you are having such bad losing streaks, I would wait for the next patch. The matchmaker is pretty bad, and often puts players of vastly different skill levels against each other. You are not the first to notice it. MWO is getting a major matchmaker overhaul with the first step hitting on April 29th. Yes, you can improve a lot as MWO has a steep learning curve, but why take the early frustration.

To the OP, the next patch will include what Modo has said, specifically from these posts:
http://mwomercs.com/...ate-apr-112014/
http://mwomercs.com/...and-team-sizes/
http://mwomercs.com/...-–-feb-27-2014/

The Launch module might help you have more balanced games, but don't count on it. Generally most things have been covered, except maybe two things. Mechspecs if you have trouble building mechs: http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/ Also, you need 3 variants to master a chassis. All I can say right now.

#22 grimunk

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:41 PM

Generally I use a free mech - the Victor. 1xSRM, 2 AC5, 2 MP laser setup. Seems to do good damage when I can flank.

I'm usually sticking with my company mechs and helping with a direct assault. It seems that the first part of the game is spent using PPC/ACxx/Gauss/HLasers to harass and hide. Both sides play this for awhile, then either the other side suddenly shows up at close range and steamrolls, or we advance together and get steamrolled.

#23 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

keep playing and your ELO score will probably balance out more, then things will work out. It's ok, I've been playin' for quite a while, then the other day, I had 12 losses in a row. I feel it's more chance. Funny though, I had fun even though I lost. Lately I'm less interested in winning and more interested in doing my part to help the team. If my team looses but I perform well, I feel it's the same as a win to me personally. :)

#24 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

Even as a veteran myself; yesterday and today i have over 20 matches as a defeat aswell. Pissing me off. I was seeing familar names all along. Alone PUGing is bad in this game.

I really try, but most of the teams dont care about a Atlas...

Edited by Sarlic, 17 April 2014 - 10:24 PM.

#25 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

View PostStingray1234, on 17 April 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

Lately I'm less interested in winning and more interested in doing my part to help the team. If my team looses but I perform well, I feel it's the same as a win to me personally. :)

My point exactly.

OP, maybe try rolling with some of the other trial mechs? Assaults aren't for everyone. This particular batch of trials looks pretty good.

Also, you might want to try joining a group. you could check out the Comstar or NGNG Teamspeak servers and get on voice comms with your lance in chat rooms. The ability to communicate while shooting really does help. <_<

#26 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

ADD ME AS FRIEND. I will make you good.

#27 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:00 PM

just played with um he lost #31 I wish I was on his side I would of felt better trying to keep us alive keep trying my friend.

Edited by dr lao, 17 April 2014 - 11:10 PM.

#28 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,615 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

View Postgrimunk, on 17 April 2014 - 09:41 PM, said:

Generally I use a free mech - the Victor. 1xSRM, 2 AC5, 2 MP laser setup. Seems to do good damage when I can flank.

I'm usually sticking with my company mechs and helping with a direct assault. It seems that the first part of the game is spent using PPC/ACxx/Gauss/HLasers to harass and hide. Both sides play this for awhile, then either the other side suddenly shows up at close range and steamrolls, or we advance together and get steamrolled.

Yep, that's typical. That's what I meant about people being hesitant to take fire. Long-range firepower was/is so strong right now that people feel punished for stepping out of cover - so everyone finds their favorite rock and starts exchanging desultory gunfire whilst getting liquored up for the end-game. It's not the best way to play, but the punishment for stepping out of cover at the wrong time/place (being melted down into commemorative ingots) is immediate, while the reward for better tactics is deferred.

It'll be better once the 4x3 weight class restrictions come in, because the overall amount of firepower available to the enemy team will be less in many cases (I have seen teams with 8 Atlases.) Despite a certain amount of alarmist screeching about how premades will squeeze the rest of us out of all the Assault slots, I anticipate that the new weight class restrictions will be better for everyone overall.

Likewise, the recent nerfs to the longest-ranged autocannons haven't really been felt much yet, and those were major participants of the Long-Range Whack-a-Mole problem.

Edited by Void Angel, 17 April 2014 - 11:14 PM.

#29 grimunk

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:23 PM

I won game #33. I barely survived it, 1 kill, 8 assists, 400 or so damage. In most of my games, it seems that once close range combat starts, my team meets the enemy team, and my teammates just start falling. If I'm not one of the first, I quickly find I'm alone and surrounded. Almost all the enemy mechs are in good shape too. It's not just a loss, it's a stomp. So sry for those I get teamed with: I'm your ultra bad luck charm.

#30 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:27 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 17 April 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:

Yep, that's typical. That's what I meant about people being hesitant to take fire. Long-range firepower was/is so strong right now that people feel punished for stepping out of cover - so everyone finds their favorite rock and starts exchanging desultory gunfire whilst getting liquored up for the end-game. It's not the best way to play, but the punishment for stepping out of cover at the wrong time/place (being melted down into commemorative ingots) is immediate, while the reward for better tactics is deferred.

It'll be better once the 4x3 weight class restrictions come in, because the overall amount of firepower available to the enemy team will be less in many cases (I have seen teams with 8 Atlases.) Despite a certain amount of alarmist screeching about how premades will squeeze the rest of us out of all the Assault slots, I anticipate that the new weight class restrictions will be better for everyone overall.

Likewise, the recent nerfs to the longest-ranged autocannons haven't really been felt much yet, and those were major participants of the Long-Range Whack-a-Mole problem.

I still rack kills in my Dual AC/10 cataprhact. it is still my best mech. Like i said, if you add me, i will know when you are on and help you best i can. Im a really good pilot, that doesnt mean the battle always goes my way. It doesnt mean that i sometimes cant be killed early but i got experiance; Which i can give too you and show you first hand how to handle certain situations. Sometimes we need more than the best mech builds.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 17 April 2014 - 11:28 PM.

#31 The Dreaded Baron B Killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:41 PM

you know the other day I had a superb match and got 5 kills when we were outnumbered and won the match.

felt so damn cool...

then yesterday.... I lost pretty much all my matches... died a ton, didn't do much damage or net any kills...

What was the cause? lack of concentration, bad team work, bad aim, etc etc..

just an off day.

as someone said, just chill and revisit and hope for a better day.

#32 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:58 PM

I'm a light pilot so i can't give much advice when you're using assaults. But here i go.

Listen to Koniving. His advice is always spot on and rocksolid.
I often see those who peek out of the same piece of cover over and over. They are just begging to get a full alpha blast to the center torso without being able to retaliate because the enemy will have disappeared.

Variate where you appear. An assault mech is slow so you might not be able to follow this advice though....but it's something to keep in mind.

#33 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:10 AM

If you get kills and more than ~300 damage, you are pulling your weight quite well -- especially as a new player in a trial mech. There are veterans who do worse on a regular basis. The bad results are really mostly the game's current randomness.

Edited by Modo44, 18 April 2014 - 12:10 AM.

#34 PACoFist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 270 posts
  • LocationThe Eye Of Chaos

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:24 AM

View Postgrimunk, on 17 April 2014 - 09:41 PM, said:

If you are new to the game, I would suggest taking a medium or even a light mech. Many new players take the biggest mech they can get, because they think, they will survive longest in a heavily armored assault. That is an erroneous belief.
When you face 4 enemy mechs no amount of armor can save you. The speed of a light or medium mech however can save your ass. You are harder to hit when moving fast and you can get into cover much quicker. If you are in an unfavorable situation you can run away and fight later. With an assault mech, almost every time you meet the enemy, it is a make-or-break situation, because you are to slow to run away.

#35 Straylight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 535 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Outreach

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:11 AM

View Postgrimunk, on 17 April 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

I won game #33. I barely survived it, 1 kill, 8 assists, 400 or so damage.
It sounds like your performance is fine. It was months playing before I posted a score like that. However:

In most of my games, it seems that once close range combat starts, my team meets the enemy team, and my teammates just start falling. If I'm not one of the first, I quickly find I'm alone and surrounded. Almost all the enemy mechs are in good shape too.

What's happening here is your team is not focusing fire. They're coming at the enemy either piecemeal (as Kon said upthread, this happens when you get flanked), or they're getting distracted shooting at whatever is in front of them rather than coordinating.

Other than "play more, get better, improve your Elo to get matched with better players", or "join a team", there's not much you can do about this. That said, you can at least make sure you're not contributing to the problem.

Best way to do that is a trick you've known since about the second grade: the buddy system. Find another 'mech on your team with similar speed and weapons capability who looks like he knows what he's doing (I'll explain that in a moment), and be his shadow. Move with him, staying within a couple hundred meters (if he has ECM, stay in the bubble); watch his back, always try to be looking wherever he isn't so you cover each other's blind spots; shoot what he shoots. If you're good enough and have the angle, shoot where he shoots, too; focus your shots on the same parts of the enemy as he is for a faster kill.

It's often a good idea to let him know you're doing this. A simple "playername, I've got your back" or "on your six, playername" in chat is usually enough. Particularly if he's faster than you, if he knows you're trying to stay with him, often he'll slow up or orbit you. More importantly, he knows he's got backup when the shooting starts, and can act accordingly.

Once you've decided you're sticking with somebody, stick with them. Sometimes circumstances will force you to split off, and sometimes the chaos of battle with cause you to drift apart, but you need to make sure you don't wander off, and that includes when you're chasing a Light. In fact, head TOWARD your buddy when you've got a Jenner/Ember/Spider/whatever nipping at your ankles; you might be having trouble hitting the little pest, but he probably won't. A lone Assault is easy prey for a wolfpack of Lights. Two is a problem. Three is a suicide run.

Now there's at least two of you focusing fire. Even if the other ten yahoos on your team spend the whole game firing blindly into the sky, even two Assaults concentrating fire will take down a target in a hurry. I've seen many games that ended 12-10 where the two guys left alive had all 12 kills between them. When that happens, it's almost always because they were working together, focusing fire, and watching each other's backs.

And by the way: all of this is applicable no matter what you're piloting. Two or three Lights working together can bag an Atlas in under thirty seconds for nearly no return damage. Two Mediums on a flank can break up the enemy formation almost instantly. Two Heavies or Assaults can smash holes in an enemy line... or stop the other team from exploiting a hole in yours.

#36 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:35 AM

I'm a bit late to the party, but I expect IE is eating all your excess letters. Happens to me at work, too. IE no longer adheres to many internet standards and the forum does not play well with IE, I would recommend Chrome.

As for losing so bad? The game does have a steep learning curve and can be brutal at times. It's hard to soy what you're doing "wrong" without seeing you in action, but some general tips for every new player can help:
  • Stick to your team. One mech alone is an easy target.
  • Don't be a hero. You can't be a one-man killing machine in MWO.
  • Think about playing with a group of players who can lend you advice as you play
  • Read about mech builds and tactics for specific mechs (ie, read a light mech guide and grab the trial Jenner)
  • Ask questions and don't get discouraged

#37 Garegaupa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:39 AM

grimunk, your experiences sound quite familiar to me. I had a miserable MWO day yesterday. It wasn't so much that I lost many games in a row as that I seemed to be completely unable to contribute much to anything... Either my team would get stomped early on and lose, or we would win with me either getting killed in the first encounter or getting left behind unable to do anything useful.

As some people have suggested, I think the only cure is to just leave the game for a while. Go get a cup of coffee, take a walk, play another game - whatever gets you in a better mood. Then try again. I'm certain my bad day yesterday had quite a bit to do with the matchmaker and unbalanced teams, but it probably also had a lot to do with me getting into a spiral of negativity, preventing me from doing my best.

I posted a thread on this a while ago, and got some useful input. Here it is, if you are interested: http://mwomercs.com/...36#entry3259536

Finally I just want to say this: Don't give up on the game! Sure, it's frustrating when things like this happens, but behind every cloud is a silver lining! :)

Good luck! <_<

#38 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

View PostGaregaupa, on 18 April 2014 - 05:39 AM, said:

grimunk, your experiences sound quite familiar to me. I had a miserable MWO day yesterday. It wasn't so much that I lost many games in a row as that I seemed to be completely unable to contribute much to anything... Either my team would get stomped early on and lose, or we would win with me either getting killed in the first encounter or getting left behind unable to do anything useful.

As some people have suggested, I think the only cure is to just leave the game for a while. Go get a cup of coffee, take a walk, play another game - whatever gets you in a better mood. Then try again. I'm certain my bad day yesterday had quite a bit to do with the matchmaker and unbalanced teams, but it probably also had a lot to do with me getting into a spiral of negativity, preventing me from doing my best.

I posted a thread on this a while ago, and got some useful input. Here it is, if you are interested: http://mwomercs.com/...36#entry3259536

Finally I just want to say this: Don't give up on the game! Sure, it's frustrating when things like this happens, but behind every cloud is a silver lining! :)

Good luck! <_<

Good post. When i get stomped all the time i quit for a while and try again. Or i play PlanetSide 2! (I recommend this to anyone) also very fun to play and free.

#39 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:26 AM

I played the trial victor a couple of times. I was having bad games too. I guess either I can't play assaults well or it desperately needs pilot skills unlocked and a different loadout.

#40 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

I won game #33. I barely survived it, 1 kill, 8 assists, 400 or so damage. In most of my games, it seems that once close range combat starts, my team meets the enemy team, and my teammates just start falling. If I'm not one of the first, I quickly find I'm alone and surrounded. Almost all the enemy mechs are in good shape too. It's not just a loss, it's a stomp. So sry for those I get teamed with: I'm your ultra bad luck charm.

Nice dude, solid match! Make sure you play ALL of the trials to see what your style is...it's okay if you lose. As you play you'll start to get "the vibe" and you'll start to identify when the tipping point of a loss is...that helps you on the flip side to know which minimal actions to take to start pushing the tower over until it falls under it's own weight.

Matches in this game kind of have two halves...a war of attrition and then the brawl.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users