Possible Bug Or All In My Head? Double Ams Fail

5 replies to this topic

#1 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts
  • LocationOrion's Bible Belt

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

So I got the new free mech and decided to try out double ams for the first time. I had already put one ams system on it and found that to be effective, but just wanted to see how cool two would be. I stick two on and an extra ton of ammo only to find missiles hammering into me constantly. They seemed to protect my allies just fine, but NO protection for me. Much worse than the single ams. I would love to hear other's first hand experience with double ams on the new thunderbolt, pls don't comment unless you have tried it. I really think this is some sort of bug, since going back to single ams made a positive difference in missile protection.

#2 Magos Titanicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSagittarius A

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:11 PM

i'm not 100% sure with the thunderbolt but on my AS7-K it works just fine. I can see (i mean it literally) both firing (one on every shoulder is just nicely visible even more so when firing). What you are maybe experiencing is getting struck by large volley's. look here -> http://mwo.gamepedia..._Missile_System

Theory of Operations

VS Long Range Missiles

If a LRM is moving towards you at a speed of 120m per second and you are standing still, it will take them 1.67 seconds to reach you once they are with in range of the AMS. In that time, the AMS will lock onto and destroy 3 missiles, expending 27 ammo to do so. In this case seven Allied AMS would be able to shoot down a LRM20 volley.
It makes no difference whether four LRM 5s or a single LRM 20 is fired at you. Missiles that are fired in a series of volleys will give AMS more time to destroy more missiles. If you are running away from the LRM launcher, your AMS will have more time to destroy incoming missiles. If a LRM is moving at 120m / sec at and you are stationary, the AMS will ideally shoot down 3 LRMs in that volley. Therefore, 7 Allied AMS should be able to shoot down an entire LRM20 volley.

But you should take into consideration that this post of information is pre-AMS-buff aged. Now LRM's move faster (160m/s instead of 120m/s) and the overall AMS Range has been increased from 200 to 240m (and the AMS Range Module which gives you another range increase of 16m and an overall increase to 272m.)

Edited by Magos Titanicus, 20 April 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#3 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

Played several games with the 9s yesterday and the twin-ams worked just fine. Had several clouds of lrm20 coming towards me and could see them disintegrate. Maybe 3 or 4 missiles hit me.

Edited by Ironwithin, 19 April 2014 - 10:46 PM.

#4 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

I've had this happen to me too. Any AMS fired to defend missiles going for team mates worked. But I watched 5-10 volleys hit me in the face and my AMS do nothing to stop it.

#5 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts
  • LocationOrion's Bible Belt

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

The more I played the more I decided this was some sort of bug. A single ams works better than duals for me. They work fine for my teammates. Would love someone else to test with the new tbolt.

#6 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

I have perceived something similar to this in my Atlas K. It seemed apparent after many drops but I never did any data collection to determine if it was actual or only perceived. My impression was that the double AMS installed in my K did less missile intervention than any other Atlas I own, less than any mech equipped with a single AMS that I own.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users