Salvage

14 replies to this topic

Poll: Salvage (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see actual salvage become part of the game

1. Yes (8 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

2. Yes, but with modifications (10 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

3. No (4 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Supersmacky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 239 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

Idea:
Allow salvage to be a reward for winning a match (you controlled the battlefield at the end). The salvage would be based on the mechs (from the other side) involved in the match. It would also be restricted to items not thoroughly destroyed during the match. Salvage would be awarded to the winning players involved in the match at random and would be added to their inventory. From there they could do what they want with the salvage (use it, sell it, stockpile it).

#2 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

There would be no fair way to allocate salvage.

Plus, there's the fact that nobody ever loses anything in this game ... so where would the stuff we gain be coming from?

C-Bills are the best way.

#3 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

I think you underestimate the value of things that would be left on the field (BAP 400k, AC\5 250k, even a single DHS is 12K). I think it would be so much they would have to do away with any cbill payouts, then the problem of being on the losing team and getting no cbills would arise.

#4 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

The idea sounds nice as a fluff addition, but remember that a certain level of grind is what keeps the game alive. The prices of parts awarded as salvage would need to be subtracted from the overall match reward, or they would need to be unsellable/resellable for next to nothing.

#5 Winterdyne

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

What about mechs with hands being able to 'loot' downed mechs for a 'salvage point' (only one per mech per match).
At the end of the match, the winning team gets a bonus (split amongst all mechs, hands or not, alive or not) based on the number of salvage points accrued by their team, or possibly surviving members of the team.

Edited by Winterdyne, 21 April 2014 - 09:22 AM.

#6 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

I would personally LOVE to have itemized salvage. How much armor/ammo, which weapons, etc. Chassis salvage is too much, gotta leave something. Slowly build my inventory of stuff.

On another note, I'd like Repair and Rearm back in the game too. "Oh, I lost my PPC in that match, but I got an ERLL in salvage, lets slot that puppy in and see what happens...."

#7 Basilisk222

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 288 posts
  • LocationElmira Heights

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

What about a randomizer where you could exchange c bills earned in the match to "search" for loot.

At the end screen you could sacrifice your payment to search for parts.

The amount of money you paid to search gets you more rolls (lets say 50K per roll)

This nets you a randomized set of parts from weapons to mech pieces that can be sold (junked) for a low cbill amount, or repaired to working condition for a fee.

Mech parts include the head, torso, left arm, and right arm. Over time, You could salvage together entire mechs and weapon systems. It'd be really meta.

#8 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostKilgorin Strom, on 21 April 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

What about a randomizer where you could exchange c bills earned in the match to "search" for loot.

At the end screen you could sacrifice your payment to search for parts.

The amount of money you paid to search gets you more rolls (lets say 50K per roll)

This nets you a randomized set of parts from weapons to mech pieces that can be sold (junked) for a low cbill amount, or repaired to working condition for a fee.

Mech parts include the head, torso, left arm, and right arm. Over time, You could salvage together entire mechs and weapon systems. It'd be really meta.

Make this into a mechlab mini-game! Spend Xk for a random "roll" of Xk work of stuffs.. I LIKE IT!

#9 Osric Lancaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

Salvage would be cool, but only if it's highly abstracted with limited economic impact. If you're wining/losing XL engines every match things would get old rather rapidly. Here's how apply a salvage mechanic without breaking the game -

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3309364

Edited by Osric Lancaster, 21 April 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#10 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

I'd have to say no unless salvage could only be deleted, but not sold for C-Bills. Salvage that could be sold for C-Bills would cause MWO to be inundated with Gold Farmers leveling accounts to sell online.

#11 Basilisk222

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 288 posts
  • LocationElmira Heights

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

View PostGrizzlyViking, on 21 April 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

I'd have to say no unless salvage could only be deleted, but not sold for C-Bills. Salvage that could be sold for C-Bills would cause MWO to be inundated with Gold Farmers leveling accounts to sell online.

I doubt it. Depending on the way it is implemented, a salvaged part could sell for like 1/4 or 1/8 of the part it could be fixed to represent, and could cost 1/2 to "Return to condition" Meaning a PPC could be found for like 200,000 K cbills for a workable part. Labeled "Salvaged PPC" as well.

The title applies this: The salvaged working part does not accumulate sell value after restored. it's still only worth 50,000 Cbills. Bam, fixed.

I mean would YOU buy a used particle cannon a crack team of mech mechanics frankensteined together with duct tape and elbow grease?

Edited by Kilgorin Strom, 21 April 2014 - 11:29 AM.

#12 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

View PostKilgorin Strom, on 21 April 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

I doubt it. Depending on the way it is implemented, a salvaged part could sell for like 1/4 or 1/8 of the part it could be fixed to represent, and could cost 1/2 to "Return to condition" Meaning a PPC could be found for like 200,000 K cbills for a workable part. Labeled "Salvaged PPC" as well.

The title applies this: The salvaged working part does not accumulate sell value after restored. it's still only worth 50,000 Cbills. Bam, fixed.

I mean would YOU buy a used particle cannon a crack team of mech mechanics frankensteined together with duct tape and elbow grease?

Since they have already removed repair and reload, which salvage would significantly affect, I do not think salvage is something we will see soon, if at all. I do not see how they could justify implementing salvage that can be sold without re-instituting repair and reload costs. There are too many other things that they need to devote resources to right now.

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 21 April 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#13 LordSkippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

Why limit it to equipment, why not stripped 'Mechs. You've won the match, and now have a 1 in 12 chance of getting some salvage. Maybe not 1 in 12 chance, but weighted on match score. Now let's say you're lucky enough to have won the salvage reward against the other 11 players, and you win either a piece of equipment (may with Kilgorin Strom's "cost 1/2 to return to condition") or the RT of an Atlas D-DC. Manage to be lucky enough to collect all the pieces of an Atlas D-DC, and you can put together the chassis, minus all equipment, engine, and armor. The Atlas D-DC is just an example, the random parts could be of any standard variant (one match you get the RT of an Atlas D-DC, another you get the LL of a Jenner F).

I would take you quite a while to actually put together a full chassis of any given 'Mech, and you'd still need to add the equipment, which is a large chunk of the costs of a 'Mech anyway. However, it does add a little flavor.

#14 LordSkippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

View PostGrizzlyViking, on 21 April 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

Since they have already removed repair and reload

Theoretically, R&R is still in the game. The C-bill earns were adjusted to not only compensate for the removal of R&R, but to also simulate having to pay for R&R.

What they need to do is give extra c-bill rewards for taking lighter 'Mechs or lower level tech, to better simulate the difference in R&R for cheaper 'Mechs compared to more expensive 'Mechs.

#15 Fiaura The Tank Girl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 107 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

I would say yes to some degree in which players have 30 seconds to bid on salvage based on contribution to the team:
So players doing 400+ damage and multiple kills would receive a chance for higher rewards like engines intact or pieces of mechs they could use to assemble a whole mech or high end weapons.

But the point here is at the end everyone receives something so there would always have to be 12 items, no more no less, and players would have to bid, if someone outbid them and no one could beat it they would rebid till they got something at the end of 1 minute with rebids every 10 seconds.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users