Your Role As A Light 'mech

22 replies to this topic

#21 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:11 PM

I've been running my Locust-3M lately (4 ML, TAG, 190XL), and I think I'm finally starting to find it's place.

In the beginning of the match, I tend to jump around at the fringes. I try and spot for the rest of the team without getting noticed. I'll TAG any enemies I see, but don't shoot - that's just a sure fire way to say "hi, juicy target here!" Most people don't notice when they're getting TAGged - they're too busy worrying about the missiles coming.

As the match moves on, I'll start looking to vulture the stragglers. Find wounded mechs (the ones that are smoking are the best) and try and distract them or finish them off. And after that, you are the guy that sweeps the map looking for stragglers.

My damage numbers aren't super high, but I'm getting a lot of XP for it. ANd better yet - I'm not dying all the time!

#22 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:56 AM

My role in my locust is to run around the enemies flanks and drop missiles on them from angles where missiles should not be coming from. Fast repositioning and being constantly mobile will keep them on their toes.

#23 ReXspec

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 502 posts
  • LocationOrem, Utah

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

Pretty spot on. Here is an excerpt from my own guide that essentially matches your description of what a Light 'mech's role should be:

"Light 'Mechs

Because of the speed and manueverability light 'mechs offer, these small 'mechs are usually relegated to the positions of scouts and harrassers. As a light 'mech pilot, both your lance and your company will expect you to be able to offer valuable data on the enemies position, and may even expect you to draw the attention of the opposing force while the rest of your teammates exploit this, and engage your foes. As far as direct combat goes, however, there are a few of these 'mechs that rely on their manueverability and speed in addition to some measure of durability to keep them from being crippled in the midst of a heated duel, but such light 'mechs are rare as most light 'mech rely on just speed and maneuverability to keep from being destroyed.

The Jenner (JR7-D)

Much like the Commando, the Jenner excels at close-range ambush because of the devastating firepower this little 'mech's alpha strike can potentially bring. However, what makes the Jenner particularly devastating is it's additional ability to be a front-line duelist. This is made possible by certain variants missile slots, and compensates for it's lack of electronic warfare capabilities for it's huge speed potential. If you are most comfortable in a high-risk-high-gain situation where you weave in-and-out of the front line while harrassing opponents at close range, then this 'mech is for you.

The Firestarter (FS9-H)

The Firestarter's dueling capability comes from it's whole focus on acting as a forward, counter-ambush, incendiary 'mech (hence it's name). The Firestarter is a hardy Light 'mech and 'mech pilots who are dueling against rival Jenners will find themselves comfortable in doing so, as the Firestarter is fitted with five tons of armor, has a large amount of ballistic slots and energy slots, is fast, and can take some greivous hits before having to retreat. It's only downfall (much like the Jenner) is it's lack of Electronic Warfare equipment."

Obviously, a light 'mech should never lead the charge, or attempt to create the front lines, but a skilled pilot can (and usually does) fight on the front lines while avoiding damage to himself.

Basically, you have to play like a coward: Prod someone with a knife, run away, and then come back to do it again. It does take a certain amount of intuition and awareness, however, to know when to walk away.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users