"orientation"? Seriously? At This Stage Of The Game?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Ignatz22

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

You're moving from the World o' PUGs to a team, and the choices are abundant! Lots of teams, some Huge, some small, some Competitive, others casual and mixes of these and other qualities are staggering.

Your chosen team now wants you to muster with the other new folks and run the gamut of some sort of "Orientation Program" or "Trial Period".

Really?
You're a grown adult, have been playing and read the information on forums and build-specific posts; you KNOW this stuff! Now you have to go through a couple weeks of orientation??

Allow me to explain; while some balk at starting in the Training Room, please understand we don't know you, and need time and a venue to get you in-game. We'd like as many of our members to greet and get to know you. In part it IS a BASIC evaluation, as all units have some standards that they'll regret not measuring of all new members if they just hand you the keys from day one. You'll want to see if these folks are what you expected. Both you and the unit are testing, "Goodness of Fit" for you as a part of them.

Then there's the "team" thing...

One unwritten goal of orientations I have been in is that the unit, if they're organized ad goal-oriented, know what they need individuals to be able to accomplish. While they like your color scheme and compliment your mechs' fine maintenance record, what they want to know is CAN and WILL you be able and willing to perform in the 12 man teams that Community Warfare is guiding us to. Being the BEST Solaris champion won't mean much to a House wanting to capture a planet if you can't carry the team. Unlike All-Star basketball, teams are more dependent upon everyone being equipped and thinking as a TEAM, not 12 individuals. Orientation Programs often include some means of explaining and mentoring the new pilot to what the team feels they'll need and expect. In some cases this means build standards or preferences. Other units may include movement and communications, some battlefield assessment or the like. Most I have seen offer training if you want or would just like to see what they've come up with that you weren't aware of.

Ask. Don't be quiet, hoping to slide by; this is important to your enjoyment of the game in these teams. These units will have concrete goals now, not just statistics and bragging rights. They want to excel, you want to be a part of it, so find out what they're looking for and make sure you get the proper instruction and guidance.

...And try to have fun. Winning is Fun. Winning as part of a Team is More Fun. Seriously. :P

Oh, and Consider Turning to the Dark Side.

#2 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

I am unsure if you are complaining or saying this is normal to people who have complain when joining a unit.

CGB has a intro "interview" to make sure players are not A-holes and that they would mesh well with the unit. We then have a two week window before you are allowed to take your trial of entry/position for the rank of MechWarrior. We offer a mentor program, advice and whatnot for new players, but none of this is enforced.

People can do what they want in their own unit. They want to bring your through a cheese greater to make sure you fit in, they can. If you do not like it, you obviously do not mesh well with that unit.

#3 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 23 April 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

I am unsure if you are complaining or saying this is normal to people who have complain when joining a unit.

CGB has a intro "interview" to make sure players are not A-holes and that they would mesh well with the unit. We then have a two week window before you are allowed to take your trial of entry/position for the rank of MechWarrior. We offer a mentor program, advice and whatnot for new players, but none of this is enforced.

People can do what they want in their own unit. They want to bring your through a cheese greater to make sure you fit in, they can. If you do not like it, you obviously do not mesh well with that unit.

Huh. That is pretty much exactly the same as us in CNC. Short interview, followed by a two week probationary period which is for both the sake of our members and the cadet (if they do not like us, they can leave no harm no foul), afterwhich they can trial for point commander status.

#4 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

Eh, i guess it is pretty much how it works in most Clan units. our Sibkins often have to wait more than two weeks to join the Clan: they drop with warriors who write reviews briefly exposing skills, weakness, attitude, lore knowdlege and potential issues or promise showed of a sibkin. The warriors aim to train the sibkins to improve their skills. Later they become Cadets and after some time they will fight their ToP.

I have been a bondsman myself for a month at least i recall. This time is needed indeed to verify if they are fit for our unit and if we are the unit they are looking for.

#5 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:23 PM

Actually I am fairly certain he is responding to those that might balk at such a technique and explaining the value behind such an approach. And then ending with another recruiting pitch.

#6 LastKhan

Defender of Star League

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationIn Dropship DogeCafe

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

Posted Image

I dont know if im reading this correctly, but sounds like you have some sort of issue with how things are usually ran. If you're going to join a clan or any group its pretty common to have these sort of things like getting to know who you are.

If you are really about having fun then this shouldn't worry you and you should be hopping down into channels with others and playing the game. Not sitting in a launchpad like an outcast.

Edited by lastkhan, 23 April 2014 - 12:42 PM.

#7 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

View Postlastkhan, on 23 April 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

Not sitting in a launchpad like an outcast.

:unsure:

#8 LastKhan

Defender of Star League

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationIn Dropship DogeCafe

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

See what i did there? :unsure:

#9 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

A trial period is letting someone off easy. Most clans, as I am sure my bothers and sisters will agree, only allow the best and most skilled warriors to join their ranks. Even then, once one is accepted he or she still must spend a long time honing their skills to be on par with the unit.

Quality over quantity.
Then again, one can always join an IS unit or a band of dishonorable pirates.

Edited by CHH Badkarma, 23 April 2014 - 04:48 PM.

#10 _Comrade_

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

An orientation period is needed especially in clans, not every knows what Zellbrigen is nor do they know the culture. Nor do they know how the unit fights. We assume that if you wanted to play as a clanner then you want to go through the experience of ebing a clanner, which means trial of postions and so forth, if you don't want that...well their are a lot of merc and IS units recruiting. I think a clan unit is a lot better with orientation

#11 Ignatz22

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

Sirs;

I've been there and done the extended Orientations and the Casual Interviews.

I was just saying folks need to be aware and understand the need for this, as our unit is just getting started and looking into how this will pay out. Good to know what others think, and the post isn't criticism or complaint but explanation.

...And of course a pitch. :unsure:

#12 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:58 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 23 April 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

Huh. That is pretty much exactly the same as us in CNC. Short interview, followed by a two week probationary period which is for both the sake of our members and the cadet (if they do not like us, they can leave no harm no foul), afterwhich they can trial for point commander status.

my forum material is too edgey for clans... :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users