Lrm Hgn 733C (Need Some Help From Lrm Users)

9 replies to this topic

#1 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:49 AM

Hi folks, i need some help with rebuilding my HGN 733C.

I'm getting a bit tired of all my FLD AC related mechs. I'm keeping my Victor as meta jumpsniper and i have more than enough totally minmaxed mechs, so i wan't my 733C to be something "different".

So what i'm trying to do? I was like "you know what you didn't use recently? Lrms!"
Now i'm trying to build a lrm 733C.

I know the 733C is not suited particular well for LRMs, but that doesn't matter. Keep in mind: this mech is not to be used in a competitive environment. It's a fun mech to goof around with.

Now i'm trying to build something along the lines of an "agressive lrm assault", because the 733Cs hardpoints (especially the lack of energy hardpoints for light backup weapons) and tubesize limit him in regards of being a pure boat. So this mech won't be build to sit behind a rock and spam lrms at targets 700m away.

What i quickly threw together is this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c4b619f61f46c1f

Frankly speaking, i don't have enough experience with LRMs to determine what is the best combination of launchers and how many ammo is needed.
I would really appreciate any input on this.

Building limitations:
  • Engine: 280 STD/300STD - 280XL/ 325XL (STD is preferred)
  • A minimum of 30 Lrm per volley
  • Preferably no artemis
  • Ballistic backup weapon (no LBX) is a must
  • Jumpjets are preferred, but not imperativ

Thank you for your input :)

#2 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:10 AM

You actually want Artemis. AC20+LRMs works best when you are looking at people. The AC20 is not a backup, you just start firing the LRMs earlier.

The random launcher sizes will trigger LRM15 ghost heat when alphad. 3xLRM10 has a lower ghost heat penalty. You can always stagger it using chain fire.

Too much back armor and not enough leg armor -- especially with all the ammo in there. Either take torso ammo and add C.A.S.E., or move the ammo outside.

1 JJ is enough for mobility. 1 JJ is also required to move this barn around.

I would go with AC20+3xALRM10+2xML, STD275. You can play around with the engine/Artemis/TAG situation to your liking, of course.

#3 chrx

• PipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWhite Death Mercenary Company

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:16 AM

733P or heavy metal are probably the best choices for a balanced LRM-lander, as you can bring some large or medium lasers as backup. At least you'll surprise a lots of people with LRM-733C...

Artemis is always worth it in an LRM mech unless you are boating LRM5s. Jump jets help incredibly much when shooting missiles indirectly above obstacles, so bring at least one. LRM15 and LRM5 are the launchers you'll want to use as they are more most weight efficient. I'd go either 2 x ALRM15 or without artemis LRM15+ 2 x LRM5, with 5 or 6 tons of ammo. That leaves just enough room for "backup" AC/20.

Your reference build is not bad, but I'd drop the large laser for some more ammo and BAP, which is very useful for LRM mechs. AMS is missing, but you cannot get it all... So I'd try something like http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a009aac066751fb

#4 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:25 AM

You wanted something fun.

Here's something FUN:
HGN-733C Bombastic

No need for Artemis on the LRM launchers, pack more ammo anyways. Yeah you won't lock as quickly as you should, but hey. You got more ammo to throw around. Also, if you ever want to, you can drop a ton of ammo and move some armor around to fit a BAP in there (or just get rid of the AMS and put it there). You have an AC 20 with 3 tons of ammo, and 2 MLs just in case your match lasts long enough for you to deplete all your ammo. You're running an XL 300, which you can downgrade if you really want. Or drop the LRM 15, shave some LRM ammo, and get a bigger engine in there.

#5 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:47 AM

View PostModo44, on 07 May 2014 - 01:10 AM, said:

You actually want Artemis. AC20+LRMs works best when you are looking at people. The AC20 is not a backup, you just start firing the LRMs earlier.

The random launcher sizes will trigger LRM15 ghost heat when alphad. 3xLRM10 has a lower ghost heat penalty. You can always stagger it using chain fire.

Too much back armor and not enough leg armor -- especially with all the ammo in there. Either take torso ammo and add C.A.S.E., or move the ammo outside.

1 JJ is enough for mobility. 1 JJ is also required to move this barn around.

I would go with AC20+3xALRM10+2xML, STD275. You can play around with the engine/Artemis/TAG situation to your liking, of course.

TBH, in all my days since CB i'm running my assaults with around 50-60 leg armor, and i have been legged like 3 times so far. With the JJ nerf, spreading damage to the legs is harder because the HGN slowly raises into the air. Those 50 points are strictly minmaxed and i know they will be enough in the elo i play (whatever that may be). Guys will go full PPC/AC on my torso anyway, lightmechs will be blown apart long before they chew through this 50 points of armor. I'll run with 50 until i'm frequently shown it is a mistake. Up to this day, this didn't happen.

As for the ammo... I stopped using CASE on all my mechs, even if i have ammo in the torso. Why? The explosion chance is like 10% if i recall right? I don't even know when i died the last time due to ammo blowing up. On paper, it is a bad idea to have alot of ammo in legs with reduced armor. But ingame, atleast for me, the benefits far outweight the drawbacks, because i neither lose my legs, nor does my ammo blow up.
Maybe i'm rather lucky on this, but i'll stay with it as long as it lasts.

Didn't know the lrm15 will trigger ghost heat, thanks for the advice :)

Edit: if i don't want to use artemis, are smaller launchers adviced over the bigger ones?

Edited by meteorol, 07 May 2014 - 01:52 AM.

#6 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:52 AM

You do not want to need leg armor and C.A.S.E., of course. It is there in case a good light pilot does a leg check or someone who can aim will look at your torso. Or you meet an Ember. Rest assured, your original build is a death trap in higher brackets. The entire fix costs one ton -- well worth the peace of mind.

#7 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:05 AM

eeewww..
Why try something hard like a laser heavy mech ? Meh..

#8 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:09 AM

View PostModo44, on 07 May 2014 - 01:52 AM, said:

You do not want to need leg armor and C.A.S.E., of course. It is there in case a good light pilot does a leg check or someone who can aim will look at your torso. Or you meet an Ember. Rest assured, your original build is a death trap in higher brackets. The entire fix costs one ton -- well worth the peace of mind.

Yeah i'll switch stuff around a bit and add a CASE just... in case :) my lucky streak on ammo explosions runs out.

View PostShinVector, on 07 May 2014 - 02:05 AM, said:

eeewww..
Why try something hard like a laser heavy mech ? Meh..

Got a Banshee 3M for that. Possibilties to go laser heavy on a 733C are rather limited though.

Edit: I'll try something like this to begin with:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b3d5cfef2427ace

maybe downgrade the LL to ml and go artemis instead. Thanks for the input guys.

Edited by meteorol, 07 May 2014 - 02:26 AM.

#9 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:27 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 07 May 2014 - 02:09 AM, said:

Got a Banshee 3M for that. Possibilties to go laser heavy on a 733C are rather limited though.

Just trolling... Can't say too much else the LRM forum bullies will gang up on me again.. :)

#10 NupetietV

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

You bought the wrong mech, that's why.

The Highlander I run with, stick with the 1st wave and unload.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...07883d5347c25f2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users