- - - - -

Stick With The Atlas?

32 replies to this topic

#1 Swinebeast

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

Recently I bought the Boars Head on sale, I have been piloting a FB exclusively and didn't figure I would use the BH any time soon, but on sale it was too good to pass up.

Now my FB is elite I thought it was time to try another chassis, I was contemplating an Ilya but decided to give the BH a lash since I already owned it.

After some trial and error I found 4 ER lasers, an lrm10+artimus and std350 to be reasonably successful for me, about 1-1 KD not great but could be worse.

Thing is it just feels under armed vs speed/size/heat, it's pretty vulnerable and mistakes compound due to the factors above, I definitely have to pilot it more carefully and timidly than my FB.
I find my damage is ok on average but I'm working very hard each match to get the numbers up compared to the FB.

So how can I maximise the killing power of the BH? Is it worth sticking with the Atlas and saving for the DDC? I think I have been spoilt by the knockout power of the FB, how can I be more effective?
I suppose my real question is, is this experience normal and do I just need more practice to realise the potential of the chassis?

#2 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

Atlas is one of the most difficult Chassis to be good at. A lot of people can suggest you good builds but in the end, you'll have to decide for yourself what works best for you. Also, not every 'Mech can be measured in it proficiency to kill, though that is definitely important. Unlike your Firebrand, the Boars Head is more of a support-type 'Mech for front line combat. As BH, your job is basically to prevent the FB to get under enemy fire. If that's not really your thing, you might have trouble getting into the chassis.

#3 Androas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

Look up the 4 Horseman topic under the mech guides, it covers the 4 atlas variants, it is an OLD topic, but it can give you some good insights.

But yeah, the Atlas chassis really need a lot of forethought in your play, else its just a Giant death trap, but you should keep it and keep working on it, if nothing else, next time you got an atlas on your team, you know his limits and can work together with him :P

#4 Swinebeast

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

Great answer, more practice is in order then, I think my laser skills may be lacking, also remembering I can't go hull down needs practice.

#5 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

As an Atlas fan, I think you may just be running into a normal issue. Atlases? are one, if not the, slowest mechs in the game, so situation awareness is key. While fighting, you actually have to keep an eye on how fast other mechs are closing on you and the location of your other teammates - because you will NOT outrun anyone. LRM's will also ruin your day, because it takes too long to move to cover (which makes the DDC a more attractive chassis). And in a PUG, it's very possible for your team to abandon you to the BLOB who will take your lunch money. But nothing beats 1-shotting a light with an AC20, or being the last one standing with 1LL left. Or being the biggest, stompiest mech :P

#6 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

As someone else said, Atlai are one of the toughest chassis to do well in. I'm personally in the "DDC or don't bother" camp of Atlas driving, having leveled the D and RS as well. Which brings me to my main point: Every mech benefits from having all elite skills unlocked and thus doubling basic efficiencies, but on the 100-ton-slug that is the Atlas, it makes an absolute world of difference. I strongly recommend buying three of any chassis you invest in and leveling them up, even if you only want to keep one.

#7 Swinebeast

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

Thanks will look it up. Definitely need more practice, In some matches I seem to be highly successful and the armour advantage is a life saver, others I'm wiped out in and the armour disappears quicker than my pay check....lol.
Relearning maps to maximise my survival in the larger, slower, no hull down chassis is probably key also, will stick with it.
One thing which is great to know, it's a tough mech to get to grips with, thanks.

Great advice, will save for the ddc and start levelling up, makes sense, the x2 bonus will go a long way with Altai.

#8 Swinebeast

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

You hit it also cowboy, speed is non existent, hard to keep pace with the changing battlefield, will pay close attention to the flow of battle.

#9 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostSwinebeast, on 25 April 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

Thanks will look it up. Definitely need more practice, In some matches I seem to be highly successful and the armour advantage is a life saver, others I'm wiped out in and the armour disappears quicker than my pay check....lol.
Relearning maps to maximise my survival in the larger, slower, no hull down chassis is probably key also, will stick with it.
One thing which is great to know, it's a tough mech to get to grips with, thanks.

Great advice, will save for the ddc and start levelling up, makes sense, the x2 bonus will go a long way with Altai.

So, an Atlas is a big hulking monster that people identify with "Pain train." People know they're slow, take a lot of fire to kill, and can dish out damage. As a result, you get targeted as a priority, and under multiple sources of fire, go down pretty quick. Ironic, eh? Unlike your jagermechs, which have the possibility of escaping if pursued...even if people know you probably have an XL under those guns.

I cut my teeth on the Atlas DDC in this game...levelling up 2 more to master after it. Those were my first 3 mechs. It's a difficult mech to master because you have to pick your timing perfectly. Once you commit, you're going. Strap in, hit the throttle. "Just kidding" isn't really an option.

That said, if you position appropriately, I've found that they are terrifying second-half match flankers. An Atlas with even a single companion to distract focus fire suddenly appearing on a flank is incredibly effective. One on one they can faceroll a lot of mechs...and carry enough alpha to one-shot some in the back (I have a lovely video of a Raven 3L who didn't pay attention illustrating it). They're excellent 2nd string support on a hail mary (but you don't want to be the guy RIGHT in front...your CT hitboxes are too big). You're going to thrive mid-brawl in the thick of it, using your big arm-shields to best advantage.

If you want a couple builds to try, lemme know.

#10 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

On smaller maps with more cover, like the city maps, an Atlas can be great. Close-quarters SRM brawler that doesn't have to expose itself to enemy fire? You betcha.

On the larger, more open maps, however, the hulking silhouette and telltale gait of the Atlas makes you a target of every Gauss rifle on the map. Additionally most of the cover consists of ridges, which the Atlas is not equipped to look over (low hardpoints).

#11 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

As someone who runs Atlases on occasion, the BH is a REALLY weird mech. If you aren't running six lasers in the arms, you might as well be running the RS instead. And once you decide that...

It's a really hot mech, no matter what you stuff in it. Atlases are definitely worth it and can tank like no other mech out there. Usually this isn't obvious because they're also the first mech an enemy team will target for obvious reasons. I already had three Atlases by the time I got the BH, but grinding it up to Master was painful.

Moreso than other Atlases, people see a BH and think "ATLAS WITH AN XL" and go for the easy kill. The end result is that Atlases get targeted more than other mechs, and BH get targeted more than other Atlases (lacking the ECM protection the DDC has). It's a hard mech to do really well in, but I know a few pilots that swear by them.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

On a similar topic, I said how much I was actually pretty unhappy with that purchase.
Until I went with 4 Large Pulse Lasers. Now I'm reasonably content.

:P

#13 Swinebeast

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

Spot on GB that sums up my experience so far, their strength is more than counterbalanced by their speed and size, and the burning desire to catch all incoming fire....lol.
Their speed is why I either find glory or a quick death, I make the right decision all is well, I make the wrong one and it's goodnight.
Will get some hours away to make less of the bad choices and more of the good.

Also Good point on on the second half flankers, in my FB more than once I have seen pristine Altai come out of nowhere further along in the match to devastate the softened up enemy.

#14 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

The Atlas being infamous for being hard to kill is more often than not a team advantage. What is big, stompy and kills half the enemy team? Everyone that is not being shot at because the Atlas has all the attention on itself. I like to joke that all Stalker and Atlas pilots are either masochists or crazy, as a successful push or sweep will often claim your 'Mech (or large parts of it) as a tribute. Being shot at and possibly dieing is one of the first things you need to learn as an Atlas pilot to take as granted and part of the job description (and very difficult to unlearn when you jump into a Medium chassis after a long period of Assault piloting).

#15 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:49 AM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 25 April 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

The Atlas being infamous for being hard to kill is more often than not a team advantage. What is big, stompy and kills half the enemy team? Everyone that is not being shot at because the Atlas has all the attention on itself. I like to joke that all Stalker and Atlas pilots are either masochists or crazy, as a successful push or sweep will often claim your 'Mech (or large parts of it) as a tribute. Being shot at and possibly dieing is one of the first things you need to learn as an Atlas pilot to take as granted and part of the job description (and very difficult to unlearn when you jump into a Medium chassis after a long period of Assault piloting).

Yeah...when I see an Atlas start to enter the Thunderdome on Terra Therma and then I see him back up and block the the entire walkway after getting pegged a few times by an AC2 I resist the urge to reach through my screen and kick him in the ass. You're gonna get shot at. Learn to pilot through it.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 25 April 2014 - 09:49 AM.

#16 Swinebeast

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:00 AM

Good point Rebas, in canyons I found I pretty much planted myself on a flank like a turret, waiting to catch mechs coming around the canyon. Actually I was cought in the craziest LRM storm that way.....I ended up soaking up god knows how much ordinance, couldn't see $##t, totally disorientated! ended up torso twisting while backing up all the way back to base only to get stuck on some rock/turret/map bug, just as I was rounding a high cliff face to safety....lol...I remember looking down and thinking "WTF is that? reverse dammit!"....lol. So happened the lrm boats backed off due to base turrets I expect and I was left alive but a smouldering wreck.....lol we won I think, no help from me tho, I was too cherry red and she'll shocked to peak my one good arm out for a shot....lol

Thanks Koniving, I tried the setup from your other post, I found the short range of the pulse lasers hard to get used to since killing enemy's with gauss in my FB. But now I have a better understanding of Altai I will give it another shot. The Tag recommendation was gold also tho hard to find the space.

Anyway thanks all for the help and advice. Will stick with it.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Swinebeast, 25 April 2014 - 10:06 AM.

#17 The Dreaded Baron B Killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

get the DDC and spend time ninja lurking. I did that on the manifold map just now & took down the spamming lRM Cat.. he didn't even know he was being hit from behind till it was too late... muahahahahhaa

x)

#18 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

The DDC is a no brainer, it's a beast of a mech when piloted well. Hard mech to master but when you do, it's worth it.

I highly suggest burst damage weapons such as large or large pulse lasers, ac20s, and srms (when they work) versus dps weapons or lrms. Use the arms to soak damage, they have tons of hitpoints to soak damage. If you face tank damage, you'll drop your torsos real fast.

#19 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

I'm not sure on the pig head hardpoints but go for the setups that aren't all disco beams and srms, I love picking those guys apart..the ones that kill me have left me nearly dead wondering wtf he hit me with cos I never saw it coming (gausses or ACs?).

#20 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

View PostBaronBastardKiller, on 25 April 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

get the DDC and spend time ninja lurking. I did that on the manifold map just now & took down the spamming lRM Cat.. he didn't even know he was being hit from behind till it was too late... muahahahahhaa

Imagine PGI introducing the Stalker STK-3Fb. Guardian ECM, 2 Artemis IV LRM15 launchers, 4 Medium Lasers, 2 ERLLas and Double Heatsinks. And that's its Stock loadout!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users