11 replies to this topic

#1 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

I'm done with hunch backs I mastered and saved two striped and drooped one so im starting on lights commando 2d what would be the best modules for missiles ?

#2 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

Target decay and 360-degree retention, I think.

#3 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Nope.

If he's talking Commando, he's talking SRMs. 360 retention, sure, but Target Decay doesn't do him a lick of good. I'd go with either Target Info Gathering or Cap Accelerator myself, or save the slot for consumable strikes if you're one of those who uses them. There aren't really any modules that scream "SRM LIGHT 'MECH"; honestly, something small and fast like that could likely get better angles to place strikes than fatter 'mechs. Might want to think about going that route instead of fixed modules. If you enjoy spending all your winnings on more strikes, anyways.

#4 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 482 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

View Post1453 R, on 26 April 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

Nope.

If he's talking Commando, he's talking SRMs. 360 retention, sure, but Target Decay doesn't do him a lick of good. I'd go with either Target Info Gathering or Cap Accelerator myself, or save the slot for consumable strikes if you're one of those who uses them. There aren't really any modules that scream "SRM LIGHT 'MECH"; honestly, something small and fast like that could likely get better angles to place strikes than fatter 'mechs. Might want to think about going that route instead of fixed modules. If you enjoy spending all your winnings on more strikes, anyways.

Actually, the Rabbi might well be right. I understand where you are thinking, 1453R, but not everyone does the commando SRM thing. Streaks gain benefit for the target decay module, so many running a Commando 2d will in fact do the 360 retention module and the target decay module, so that they can maintain streak lock as their target dodges and weaves and passes behind ridges trying to break said lock. It prevents you having to take the time to REACQUIRE lock each time they manage to get behind a hill, or building or just out of the view of you and your allies, for even a split second. 360 helps keeping that target too if they get behind you, so that you can more quickly home in on them again, realizing they are behind you, rather than losing your target simply cause they put on the brakes or you zigged while they zagged.

But yes, if using normal dumbfire SRMs, Advanced Target Decay is pointless. Target Information Gathering is more useful for SRM builds because it allows you to know faster what area to TRY to unload your SRM at, since you can at least aim them somewhat, compared to streaks where it's just more or less random targeting.

#5 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

yeah I have seismic unlocked and I didn't think I needed Ad. zoom its all close combat My goal is to be a spotter then fall back and defend the atlas type classes

#6 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

Target Info Gathering and Cap Accelerator sounds good but I noticed players waiting tell are side start to cape then home in on us I been trying to hold back then strike when this happiness I have ECM im coming out of nowhere :) it gives are team a chance to tun and fight .

Edited by dr lao, 26 April 2014 - 01:10 PM.

#7 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

View PostMad Porthos, on 26 April 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

Actually, the Rabbi might well be right. I understand where you are thinking, 1453R, but not everyone does the commando SRM thing. Streaks gain benefit for the target decay module, so many running a Commando 2d will in fact do the 360 retention module and the target decay module, so that they can maintain streak lock as their target dodges and weaves and passes behind ridges trying to break said lock. It prevents you having to take the time to REACQUIRE lock each time they manage to get behind a hill, or building or just out of the view of you and your allies, for even a split second. 360 helps keeping that target too if they get behind you, so that you can more quickly home in on them again, realizing they are behind you, rather than losing your target simply cause they put on the brakes or you zigged while they zagged.

But yes, if using normal dumbfire SRMs, Advanced Target Decay is pointless. Target Information Gathering is more useful for SRM builds because it allows you to know faster what area to TRY to unload your SRM at, since you can at least aim them somewhat, compared to streaks where it's just more or less random targeting.

While I don't believe the OP is using LRMs, if he using LRMs with the Commando (I've seen it done before), then target decay and 360 retention are probably the better modules for LRMs, though it's not likely the OP is using LRMs on the Commando. Possibly for the Hunchback though.

#8 KnowBuddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

I want to check because it seems I might be missing something... Why would someone take target decay and 360 retention? Granted I haven't acquired 360-retention, but my experience with target decay is that it keeps lock when something runs 360 degrees around me. Is there some benefit of doubling up on these that I'm not seeing that overcomes the redundancy of function? I'd say Target Decay and Sensor Range if LRM-focused, and Target Decay and Capture Accelerator otherwise.

#9 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:54 PM

360 retention doesn't seem to actually retain 360.
Target decay (for SSRM/LRM), target info gathering, possibly seismic (but it's not a no-brainer like it used to be), sensor range, arty/air, and/or uav.

#10 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

360 really isn't all that useful since it doesn't maintain your locks, just your awareness.

Adv. Decay is the module for a Streakmando. Beyond that, dealer's choice.

#11 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 482 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 26 April 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

360 really isn't all that useful since it doesn't maintain your locks, just your awareness.

Adv. Decay is the module for a Streakmando. Beyond that, dealer's choice.

360 does not maintain the locks, but it's damn fine for getting back on them when they loop behind you. Too often people don't realize someone has done an immelman on them and need to turn the tables back to get streak lock again.

#12 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

I had SSRMs or LRMs in mind with the target decay suggestion, but I agree it's unlikely one would run LRMs on a COM chassis. Might be interesting, but not playing to the chassis's strengths.

Typically, COMs run SSRMs and MLs. As regards the missiles, those two modules play best to SSRMs, and can be a big help to other friendlies in support.

Early game, anyone with LRMs tends to unload on any enemy mech that's been targeted for half a second. We then get pretty ticked off when the lock disappears as soon as the LRMs leave the tubes, and there goes another wasted salvo of missiles. Among the reasons for lost locks are hill humps (decay module helps here, if only a little bit) and circling (360 module helps a LOT). A spotter that can keep those targets a little longer for friendly missiles? BIG plus to the team.

And they're helpful to the COM pilot himself, as well, if he's running SSRMs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users