• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 26 April 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

As Fup said, splash was causing missiles to do over 15 damage on light mechs, due to hitboxes being smaller than the splash, causing it to hit just about every hitbox on Commandos. As it is, splash is 5 CM, which might even be a cause of the poor hit detection.

And that was with 2.5 damage. We'll never get that level of damage again. Besides, all that damage is spread. 30-40 frontloaded is worth more than 70 spread over 3 hitboxes.

Considering that AC/PPCs projectiles are 1m wide, 5cm seems really small. With doubled armor (and the fact that SRMs haven't gotten an ammo boost like everything else did) makes me wonder why PGI thinks that 2 per missile (TT damage levels) is too much.

#22 Gyrok

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:08 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment. Why should SRMs not be useful? How many medium chassis become instantly viable again with solid SRMs? The logic is mind blowing in many respects.

#23 Kaldor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

4SP or Zombie Cent to start with. Splat Cat, maybe. HGN733.

#24 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

Been running Wolverines and Commandos in anticipation of the bug fix. When they work right, they're a blast to play.... hopefully the fix makes it so all my drops with em are fun.

Edited by Dracol, 27 April 2014 - 09:21 AM.

#25 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

The HBK-4SP with SRM12 and medium lasers is fun.

#26 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

SRM laden SHDs, WVRs, Griffins, and Kintaros will be good bets, if SRMs truly work well. I'm not hoping for them to be OP, but powerful enough the benefits of their damage, match the drawbacks of their range. We need something to punish snipers when we get in close. A good counter that is superior to the PPC/AC build in short range. It would make for more variety, which is always welcome in 12 mans.

#27 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

I'm pretty meh with SRM's at 2 damage. I think it needs to be 2.5 to even begin to really be worth it in the end.

I'm not saying you can't have fun or even do well with 2, but to really shake up the meta, it'll need to be higher. Otherwise it will just be another set of weapons people take because they are just plain bored of PPC/AC.

#28 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

Same SRM using builds I've been using before the change, Awesomes with as many SRM4/6's as I can fit and some big ass lasers to back them up.

Maybe my girls will get a couple extra teeth now.

#29 Varik Ronain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

With the new change it will alter my A1 but not as drastic as others. I plan to downgrade from 2 lrm 15 racks to 2xlrm10 and change 2 of the SSRM2's to SRM6+art leaving the last 2 missile hardpoints as streaks. This will still allow me to reach out with my lrms for direct and indirect fire to keep the enemy head down or deny map area. The main reason will be for sandblasting the mech so as much of that armor can be worn down as possible so when I open up with the dual srm6+streaks that no matter where I hit I plan to bust some components and make them think twice about charging the "missile boat"

Not going to lie, I want to find a nice loadout for my A1 that is balanced and can be used in many situations. LRMS for support, streaks to help deter lights and 2 SRM6 to give me a semi pin point missile option to punch through already weakened armor when I am in within brawling range so I can help teammates. It will be nice to not have to rely on a tag or my BAP to save me from ECM at close range. And now I wont be completely locked down by multiple ECM mechs. it is my hope that this leads to less lurm boats and to more mixed missile loadouts. My mech ideawould come with a sweet spot range of 180M-250M where you are able to use a total of 56 firepower all at once. It wont be a speed demon at 78.1KPH but I should be able to put myself in that position easily with assaults and some other heavy mechs.

Edited by Varik Ronain, 27 April 2014 - 10:15 AM.

#30 DasSibby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

Honestly I'd love to see SRM's become a bit more buffed with damage. They're becoming viable again, and I think with just a bit more of a buff they'd actually become worthwhile.

Overall, I'd love to see close quarter combat become standard again.

#31 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

View PostDasSibby, on 27 April 2014 - 10:10 AM, said:

Honestly I'd love to see SRM's become a bit more buffed with damage. They're becoming viable again, and I think with just a bit more of a buff they'd actually become worthwhile.

View PostDasSibby, on 27 April 2014 - 10:10 AM, said:

If hits start registering, they won't need a damage buff.

Currently, SRMs can be deadly... if they register. Usually they're just kinda ok. In theory, 3 SRM6s should do at least AC20 level damage to one component, and a scattering of over damage to other components. It doesn't usually.

#32 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

If hits start registering, they won't need a damage buff.

Yes they will.

SRM6 = 5 tons, 4 crits, with 2 tons of ammo, does 12 spread damage, has a 270m max range.
ERLL = 5 tons, 2 crits, does 9 spread damage, and has a 1350m max range
PPC = 7 tons, 3 crits, does 10 pinpoint damage, and has a 1080m max range (90m min range)

Its pretty obvious that SRMs need a massive damage buff to compensate for their absurd lack of range.

#33 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

View PostKhobai, on 27 April 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

Yes they will.

SRM6 = 5 tons, 4 crits, with 2 tons of ammo, does 12 spread damage, has a 270m max range.
ERLL = 5 tons, 2 crits, does 9 spread damage, and has a 1350m max range
PPC = 7 tons, 3 crits, does 10 pinpoint damage, and has a 1080m max range (90m min range)

Its pretty obvious that SRMs need a massive damage buff to compensate for their absurd lack of range.

2.5 at a minimum, I think 3 is probably where it will need to be to start stripping down the PPC/AC meta.

#34 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

SRMs will NOT be fixed anytime soon. Why? Because hit detection still has major issues and they aren't going away.

Hit detection is deplorable even in private matches with just a single other person on the server.

#35 Blue Hymn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 294 posts
  • LocationIn an Awesome, blasting you from a distance

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:14 PM

Awesome 8R, Honey Badger.

Somebody has to maintain the reputation for it, after all.

#36 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

TBH, Paul saying that SRMs are going to be nerfed after the fixes while not everyone is even able to enjoy them... is already killing any sort of momentum.

I guess someone would like to be the reincarnation of the Nerf Bat.

#37 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

View PostDavers, on 27 April 2014 - 06:50 AM, said:

Considering that AC/PPCs projectiles are 1m wide, 5cm seems really small. With doubled armor (and the fact that SRMs haven't gotten an ammo boost like everything else did) makes me wonder why PGI thinks that 2 per missile (TT damage levels) is too much.

Because Paul's precious sniper game can't be ruined.

#38 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

View PostCaine2112, on 26 April 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

Still, you know as well as I do FupDup that there will be a number of players that will find ways to abuse the system as much as possible. And I fear SRMs will be next, and once nerfed, be ruined for the rest of us regular players.

You're saying, we may as well save some time by just leaving them the way they are? ;)

Edited by Appogee, 27 April 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#39 ICEFANG13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

Ew that would be terrible, I don't think sniper players, LRM players, or brawler players were unhappy when PPCs worked and SRMs were overpowered (they didn't always hit but they did way too much damage, so it evened out a lot more than now).

Paul, not like you've ever listened to common sense, or the forums, but don't start off with a nerf to SRMs, they really don't deserve it, give them a little love.

#40 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 27 April 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

Because Paul's precious sniper game can't be ruined.

Well, he won't stop Russ's e-sport aspirations!

View PostICEFANG13, on 27 April 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Ew that would be terrible, I don't think sniper players, LRM players, or brawler players were unhappy when PPCs worked and SRMs were overpowered (they didn't always hit but they did way too much damage, so it evened out a lot more than now).

Paul, not like you've ever listened to common sense, or the forums, but don't start off with a nerf to SRMs, they really don't deserve it, give them a little love.

Remember back in the days where "keeping your word" was critical in trust. Of course. many things PGI has done has broken said trust... and I think back when Paul made his "promise" to "keep them @ 1.5 per missile" (remember the vote?)... this is one of those times where he NEEDS to break that promise (staying consistent with "tradition"). Keeping that promise would actually get more people annoyed...

Sheer irony.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users