Loadout

122 replies to this topic

#41 Jabilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

View PostCoralld, on 27 April 2014 - 06:37 AM, said:

My Cicada-X5, Shawk 2D2, and Victor 9S, all can't wait for the patch.

Been running my X5 with 2 x ASRM6 today. Hilarious fun because it only has 2 tubes in each shoulder ;) Try it for yourself and chain fire them for extra fun!

Seriously though, I have been running a lot of SRMs since the last patch and hit detection has seemed improved dramatically.

There are two more fixs to come - the explosion frame tweak and another "major bug" they have traced.

I have been pulling 500+ damage games fairly easily with the X5 and with an SRM flavoured Cent CN9A so I think we have the potential for SRMs to be highly effective.

If this is the case, as per Paul's comments in a recent NGNG podcast, you can expect to see SRM damage reduced. Will it be as low as 1.5? Will it happen this patch or the one after?

We will have to wait and see!

Edited by Jabilo, 27 April 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#42 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 April 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

Well, he won't stop Russ's e-sport aspirations!

Remember back in the days where "keeping your word" was critical in trust. Of course. many things PGI has done has broken said trust... and I think back when Paul made his "promise" to "keep them @ 1.5 per missile" (remember the vote?)... this is one of those times where he NEEDS to break that promise (staying consistent with "tradition"). Keeping that promise would actually get more people annoyed...

Sheer irony.

The one time he listened to us was when he listened the poll that said, overwhelmingly, that 2.0 should be in, at least while the hit detect sucks. I hope it stays so badly, if its at 1.5, its going to be pathetic.

#43 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

I got so bored running laser and AC builds, or running LRMs and SSRMs as my only missiles, that I went back to SRM builds on quite a few of my mechs a couple months back. It's been unpleasant from a performance standpoint but enjoyable nonetheless. Now that I can actually see what my SRMs are doing (I can watch as only a third of a volley explodes and the rest fly through the target) I can get a much better feel for what's really going on, and when they start exploding the way they are supposed to I can only imagine that I'll start seeing results more in line with what should be expected.

Assuming the extra bug that PGI found that will hopefully see a fix in the patch after next really does essentially fix SRMs, I expect brawlers to be back with a vengeance. They'll still have to run the gauntlet of snipers, pop tarts, LRM boats, etc., before they can bring their weapons to bear, but once in range brawlers might actually be better than snipers at knife fighting (heresy, I know; can't have brawlers do better in their specialized zone than anyone else).

#44 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

View PostKhobai, on 27 April 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

Yes they will.

SRM6 = 5 tons, 4 crits, with 2 tons of ammo, does 12 spread damage, has a 270m max range.
ERLL = 5 tons, 2 crits, does 9 spread damage, and has a 1350m max range
PPC = 7 tons, 3 crits, does 10 pinpoint damage, and has a 1080m max range (90m min range)

Its pretty obvious that SRMs need a massive damage buff to compensate for their absurd lack of range.
You forgot heat generation (SRM6 generates 4 points of heat, ERLL generates 9.5, PPC generates 10) and DPS (SRM6 has a DPS of 3, ERLL has a DPS of 2.12, PPS has a DPS of 2.5)

Again, they'll be fine if all hits start registering.

#45 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

I wouldn't put much weight on what Paul said or didn't say, rather than what is getting done. Remember his message on soundcloud to effect of "you still won't get your freaking Madcat"? Now look where we are headed ... Madcats for everybody LOL

I'm also of the opinion that SRMs need a little something to make them worthwhile compared to streaks. Back in MW4 Mektek beta, the team settled on consolidating SRMs with Inferno SRMs, giving standard SRMs the benefits of both without the disadvantages. Admittedly, it was a cheesy move, but it gave a practically useless weapon new purpose. Now I'm not saying this is the way to go, but the general idea of adding beneficial side effects is worthwhile.

Another option is to give SRMs access to special munitions, similar to the discussion that surrounds ACs/LBX in general.

Edited by CCC Dober, 27 April 2014 - 12:48 PM.

#46 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

I would do it with my Griffin. It's the only Mech I currently have that uses Missiles as it's primary weapon.

#47 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

I really hope we're aren't all lining ourselves up for a major dissapointment come Tuesday... Viable SRMs would be so, so nice but from what I saw on the test server hit detection was still iffy. However, if it is truly solved on Tuesday and if we can get SRMs adjusted (if necessary) to be a brutal counter to the PPC/AC combos I will be very happy.

#48 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

This is what I've been doing with my SP; http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e273f21e5ae76fb.
when the SRM gods smile its fine, hoping Tuesday makes it more consistant. Might even go back to A 6s and drop the PPC then.

#49 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

Posted Image

#50 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

I never stopped using SRMs. What are you trying to say?

#51 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 27 April 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

I never stopped using SRMs. What are you trying to say?

That they may no longer be a liability and waste of tonnage?

#52 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

Well, I took the hit or miss issues with them in some instances. SRMs have always been mostly a Medium mech weapon anyway. My Mediums span all of the Cicadas, BJ1, Hunchy 4J, Centurion A, Griffin 1N, Shawk 5M, and the Wolverine 7K. Of those 11 mechs, only the Griffin and Wolverine use SRMs and that is mostly because I find, personally, the use of Streaks to be lame and also find it difficult to get a lot of bang for my buck on arm mounted Md Lasers with those builds. So, using a torso mounted ASRM w/ TAG (I run LRMs on my Griffin so it is there for both) is very beneficial and has been for a while.

I also run SRMs on my Jager A to supplement my Gauss Rifle. But, I won't put them on any of my other Heavies or Assaults because, as you gain weight, your torso twisting gets iffy which messes with your ability to hit faster targets (Lights) which then means that I've wasted tonnage and space for a limited weapon. And, in that case, other weapons are generally better because all Lights, except for the Jenner, are so spindly that you're not going to get the bulk of your missiles on them. That could be cause I suck at using SRMs on Lights and I accept that. ;) Regardless, I'd rather nail a Light with something else that I know that I can ensure a greater to-hit efficiency.

Edited by Trauglodyte, 27 April 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#53 The Dreaded Baron B Killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 27 April 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

SRMs have always been mostly a Medium mech weapon anyway.

I also run SRMs on my Jager A to supplement my Gauss Rifle. But, I won't put them on any of my other Heavies or Assaults because, as you gain weight, your torso twisting gets iffy which messes with your ability to hit faster targets (Lights) which then means that I've wasted tonnage and space for a limited weapon.

Is it not common for people to put 2-3 SRMS on an Atlas DDC? I thought that was pretty much a given for a brawler build.

#54 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

Depends on how you like to build it, I guess. I don't build my D-DC like that so I can't speak to it.

#55 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

I mean this sincerely... always use Artemis whenever you can.

The different between "lol SRMs" and "LOL SRMs" is significant.

#56 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

Death speaks the truth even if he is always on the opposing team. Btw, Artemis with a TAG is pretty freaking sweet too. 75% spread reduction is absolutely bad ass.

#57 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 27 April 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

Death speaks the truth even if he is always on the opposing team. Btw, Artemis with a TAG is pretty freaking sweet too. 75% spread reduction is absolutely bad ass.

...Tag and NARC only affect LRM spread, no?

#58 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

Nope, affects SRMs too.

#59 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

You forgot heat generation (SRM6 generates 4 points of heat, ERLL generates 9.5, PPC generates 10) and DPS (SRM6 has a DPS of 3, ERLL has a DPS of 2.12, PPS has a DPS of 2.5)

heat generation is irrelevant to sniping weapons because of how theyre used. you move out of cover, fire, then move back into cover and cooldown. you dont fire sniper weapons nonstop so heat generation simply doesnt matter when comparing weapons like the PPC to weapons like the SRM6.

heat generation is only relevant when youre firing your weapons nonstop. So if you were comparing two brawling weapons then heat would be an important factor. Like an AC20 vs an SRM6 would be a good example of when heat matters when comparing two weapons. PPC vs SRM6 not so much.

When comparing the PPC to the SRM6 the most important factor is range. The PPC absolutely dominates the SRM6 in range. Because of the insane range difference, the SRM6 should significantly outdamage the PPC and currently it doesnt. SRM damage should be at least 2.5 per missile (possibly even 3.0 per missile).

Edited by Khobai, 27 April 2014 - 03:44 PM.

#60 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

Given the choice, I'd actually take the faster ROF over the hit detection fix.

With such a short range, SRMs (and pulse lasers and flamers, but that's another topic.) should be fairly terrifying. I like the ability to fire 300 missiles per minute when I need to, even if those missiles are only useful against assault mechs.

Back on topic though. As far as SRM builds I'll be playing next patch? The same ones I've always used.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users