• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:59 PM

Which would you buyBlackJack or Griffin
Why ?
What load out ?
What type?

Note: I am a medium pilot Love the hunchy and already use a BlackJack -3.
I use it as a poptart sniper.

Thanks for the help MechaBrahs! :o

#2 KableGuy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 229 posts
  • LocationThe left armpit of the United states

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:02 PM

View PostFEK315, on 13 June 2014 - 10:59 PM, said:

Which would you buyBlackJack or Griffin
Why ?
What load out ?
What type?

Note: I am a medium pilot Love the hunchy and already use a BlackJack -3.
I use it as a poptart sniper.

Thanks for the help MechaBrahs! :o

Wait for clans
they are better

#3 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:42 AM

Griffin if you like missiles and speed, Blackjacks if you like anything else.

The Griffins non-missile direct fire capabilities are completely dependent on that spindly right arm, and everyone knows it.

#4 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:16 AM

also if you already have the BJ-3 you may as well get two more Blackjacks so you can unlock all the elite abilities for them

#5 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

I like the "get a Black Jack" Idea because I have 24,350 experience points just sitting waiting to be used on my BJ-3.
I also like waiting for the Clans because I want the Nova and the Puma and I want to max them out, that will be a lot of CB.

I was only thinking about the Griffin because I see a lot of people use them and say they were good. However when I did the research, I was never impressed with the load out let alone the right arm liability. I like missiles but I like I like stabling and shooting way more. TNX MechaBros! ;)

#6 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

If you have a BJ, keep getting more of them. They're more durable than they get credit for if you use a standard engine, and while they aren't amazing, they're quite solid and have nice high hardpoints.

Don't bother with the Griffin, honestly. The Wolverine does essentially everything the Griffin does, has the same tonnage and engine cap, has the same jump jet cap, has a variant with a ballistic mount (which the Griffin doesnt), has a head weapon (which the Griffin doesn't), and has its missiles opposite the weapon arm (which the Griffin only sometimes does).

#7 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

Blackjacks are great fun. If you have the -3, pick up the -1 and -1X. (The -1DC stinks). Haven't played GRFs.

#8 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:50 AM

I like them both, but between my BJ-1 and by GRN-3M I would favor the griffin, its faster and can pretty much twist around to check out its own ass.

#9 Greyrook

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

Much as I hate to admit it, the Griffin makes a better poptart sniper than the blackjack if you use the variants with both PPCs in one arm. It's a glass cannon (or...glass...rifle, not really powerful enough to be a cannon, you see) since if that arm goes, you're pretty much out of commission but it's doubling your damage potential on every shot; where the blackjack's separate PPCs are more likely to impact different geometry. HOWEVER, I vastly prefer the blackjack as a mobile sniper, it's much more versatile and less...cheapshot-feeling. The BJ-1 is easily my favorite medium chassis, both as a mini K2 sniper (2xPPC, 2xML + jump jets) and as an AC20 skirmisher.

#10 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

While both are medium mechs, they are really different.

Given you have one BJ and like it, I'd get 2 more and master them up.

#11 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:48 AM

Why try a BlackJack

- to play a 'JagerMech Light,' cheap way of seeing if you want to try a JagerMech later (if you do not have them)
- for the ability to peek over ridges with arm mounts without exposing at least half of your Mech
- practice with a 'Light' version of current Meta builds, BJ-1 can poptart with 1PPC & 1AC5 combo, BJ-1DC same thing minus JJs

Why try a Griffin ( I have done all 3 to Master)

- for the sheer mobility advantage of using 7 jump jets in various ways, the places you can reach and combat tricks are amazing
- to try different types of Sniper/Brawler/LRM Boat builds, Griffins are flexible with 3 roles to choose from
- learn to use torso twisting to protect the vulnerable Right Side of 2 of the variants, a skill that carries over to other Mechs

Note: I have Mechs in all weights (all Locusts, all Hunchbacks except Champion, all Griffins, all Awesomes except 9M, 1 Centurion, 1 Thunderbolt currently).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users