- - - - -

These Are My Mechs, What Could I Pick Next?

29 replies to this topic

#21 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

I was thinking, how about getting yourself some mechbays, if you can afford it. You wouldn't need to sell your older mechs that way.

#22 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:31 AM

View Postluxebo, on 27 April 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

Most people with that kind of build say that 2xAC5 1xPPC is best, but I really think that is too situational of a build and once anyone really closes on you, you're likely screwed. I suggest something more balanced and less specialized. If you choose to do this, the mech would be quite slow, and not the best in using this ability. I think if you want to keep that similar role or a build, I would go either one less PPC or go drop AC10 to AC5 and go from there. Also, it's very easily neutered, as the mech's PPCs are on a single arm, so if you keep the build, go for PPCs on both arms, not only one.

thanks this was just an example of min/max but normally I would run something like this :

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f4b64dc9b7444e3

About mech bays, I don't really want the spider 5V, can't find an use, and I don't want another heavy, messed around with the thunderbolt funny and all but I have the jager that for 65 tons can pack much more firepower.

So I just need to sell 1 more, but this is going to be hard since I like the other mechs.

#23 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:43 AM

Take an AC10 for your general purpose build. The shotgun is a sad weapon outside of hugging distance: AC10+3xSSRM2+3xML, XL280
For an optimized setup, you want a standard engine and a linked AC: 2xPPC+UAC5, STD225

#24 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:29 AM

View Postluxebo, on 27 April 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

Maybe try out the nice little 2K, which is nice for energy dependent builds. 2H is the most ammo dependent Shadow Hawk, and while it's nice to have around, it's quite dependent on ammo. 2D and 2D2 are less dependent on ballistics, so really it's up to you whether you like missiles and energy with maybe a small ballistic for helping out. Lastly, the 5M is not bad, but indeed is dependent on ballistics. It's more balanced if anything compared to other Shadow Hawks.
My own personal builds of the Shadow Hawks are:
SHD-2D: 1xAC10 3xMPL
SHD-2D2: 3xSRM6 1xSRM4 2xML
SHD-2H: 3xMG 3xSSRM2 1xLPL
SHD-2K: 1xER PPC 1xTAG 3xALRM5
SHD-5M: 2xAC5 2xML

I went for 2K after 2h and last with be 2D.

Reason is I can replicate many build of the 2D2 on my Jager, with more armor and STD engine. or about same speed but much more firepower, or a lot faster on the Oxide with less firepower.

The K I something I don't have yet and that can do nasty things even with STD engine :

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4daee6eb3d6e8e8

if they actually fix SRM as they told....

#25 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:48 AM

View Postfx8320, on 27 April 2014 - 05:08 AM, said:

I would like a mech that can bring me some new playstile, what would you suggest?
Also what would you sell to free 3 mech bays(well 2, since 5V is pretty much first on the list)?

Assault or LRM boat are the only things quite a bit different than what you've mastered.
Haven't read the whole thread, but I'm guessing many have suggested an assault, THAT is more of a lifestyle change than a playstyle change.
You must be in the assault, think like the assault and die like an assault- become the assault and your lance will follow

#26 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:36 AM

BUY THE MECHBAYS

If there is one thing that I tell people to spend MC on is Mechbays. Unless you hate the mech it can be made to work. You get a % of the original C-Bill cost.

So unless you want to burn C-Bills and NEVER play that mech again, don't sell. 300mc isn't much.

#27 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:58 AM

Thunderbolt would be a fun one for you. That or the Wolverine.

#28 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:24 AM

View Postluxebo, on 27 April 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

Most people with that kind of build say that 2xAC5 1xPPC is best, but I really think that is too situational of a build and once anyone really closes on you, you're likely screwed. I suggest something more balanced and less specialized. If you choose to do this, the mech would be quite slow, and not the best in using this ability. I think if you want to keep that similar role or a build, I would go either one less PPC or go drop AC10 to AC5 and go from there. Also, it's very easily neutered, as the mech's PPCs are on a single arm, so if you keep the build, go for PPCs on both arms, not only one.

That build is the standard poptart build, which can still be very effective when played correctly (many people don't), as it has good range and good pinpoint damage. It's not perfect though, it can be hard to hit very fast mechs, and up close it's difficult to use as well, and if your entire team is them, you can be swarmed by lights, rained on by missiles or brawled to death by a smart opponent.

#29 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:37 AM

Well Cataphracts are in the competitive world with the 3D. So if you want a solid go with that chassie and keep the 3D. Other wise I would say master out your free Thunderbolt if you want. Other good mechs are Shadowhawks and Hunchies for a medium weight class which also get used in competitive. Now if you are not even for any of that just pick the coolest looking mech to you.

#30 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

View PostBront, on 29 April 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

That build is the standard poptart build, which can still be very effective when played correctly (many people don't), as it has good range and good pinpoint damage. It's not perfect though, it can be hard to hit very fast mechs, and up close it's difficult to use as well, and if your entire team is them, you can be swarmed by lights, rained on by missiles or brawled to death by a smart opponent.

Yeah, exactly what I meant by this one. Generally, if any team consists solely of poptarts, they're screwed in any fashion, no matter how good they are. Theres just so many ways to counter them, and especially the Shadow Hawk with it's torso twist issues will heavily result in losses.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users