Clan And Is 'mechs Mixed: Maybe This Will Help You Sleep At Night!

4 replies to this topic

#1 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

Time and time again I've read grumbling about mixed Clan and IS 'mech teams. I would love to see Clan vs. IS fights. (I can't see why that couldn't be a separate game mode. Either make it 12 vs 12 and call the Clan force a light trinary, or make it 10 vs 12 and give the smaller Clan force a tonnage bonus to equalize things, but that should be for another topic...).

So I've read that storyline-wise, the Clan 'mechs that will be dropping with IS 'mechs are considered salvaged units from the invasion. That doesn't sit well with some people. Sure, it happened in lore, but I propose this which also happened in lore.

As the Clans conquered worlds, they left planetary garrisons, made up of Solahama troops. These troops were generally poor warriors by Clan standards (I think they're equivalent to regular IS mercenary mechwarriors), or good warriors who have aged out of active duty without acquiring a blood name (like Pytor from the BattleTech Cartoon in the early 1990s).

Being at the status they were, they didn't get the best in omnimech technology. In fact, they got a lot of older Star League-era 'mech types, like the Atlas, Orion, Kintaro, and Jenner (and likely the rest of the chassis available to us right now in MWO). Many of those 'mechs probably weren't refitted with Clan weapons, and kept the IS weapons they've had for the past few hundred years. They also used Clan-built second-line battlemechs, like the Hunchback IIC, Urbanmech IIC, and Commando IIC.

With that being said, I do believe that the Solahama commanders might've gotten omnimechs. So if you please, you can pretend you're leading a bunch of Solahama warriors into battle from your state-of-the-art omnimech to a glorious death :P

If you hate to think you're in a Solahama unit, I think standard Star League-era battlemechs were also used on the front lines during the Clan Invasion, but I imagine their numbers were few compared to the omnimech. But if you lead an invading Clan and didn't have enough omnimechs in the touman, you still wouldn't pass up the change to invade the IS and conquer Terra, so it probably wouldn't matter to you anyway!

Any thoughts?

#2 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 28 April 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

Any thoughts?

There are many many ways to allow just about anything we wanted within the lore.

I liked your write-up, but I hope you've got your flameshield up. :P

#3 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:34 PM

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it :P

I need no flameshield. I am always on fire :P

Edited by TELEFORCE, 28 April 2014 - 02:34 PM.

#4 Grimmrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

Well there is hardly lore in the game atm. Tbh the game is just a 3 mode team deathmatch game.
Anythign esle, like factions, no matter if clan subfactions or inner sphere subfactions is just meaningless.

it would really be great if factions have some features, like getting Ranks in a specific faction allowing special perks to unlock in this weapons categories. Or just having some faction vs faction wars and ranks in them. The game feels really just ike robo jokey skirmishing.

So why not allowing some 4vs4 matches for factions? it would be a lot more interestign and still not giving the matchmakr a hard time since finding a 4vs 4 should be easier than trying to make 12vs12 faction wars.

#5 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

The Inner Sphere used captured clan mechs all the time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users