Failed Creating The Direct3D Device.

19 replies to this topic

#1 Braidel

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

Greetings Mechwarriors.

Today I installed Windows 8.1 and installed Mechwarrior from 0. When I started it for the first time it worked perfectly, went to options, lowered them all (everything to minimum + 1024x768 resolution) and restarted the client. When I tried to play it again, right after I hit the PLAY! button an error message appears, saying: Failed creating the Direct3D device. Anyone has an idea why is this happening? I've been searching via internet for people experiencing the same (none in this game I belive), and there are a lot of possible solutions, one of them regarding to the resolution of the screen while ingame (when I lowered the resolution ingame it looked like if it were in 640x480). By the way, any other game works just fine.

I would add an screenshot of the error, but I can't seem to find the button to add an image to this text :/ (I've done it in the past in this forum, I can't find the option atm)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Braidel

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

Problem solved folks, the issue was related to DirectX. Whenever I changed in Video options the DirectX to 11 or AUTO and restart the client, it wouldn't start and I had to reinstall the client to be able to enter again.

#3 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

please note you do need to install Directx 9c. Vista/7/8 comes with DX 10/11 and a base version of dx9. The issue is that MS does not include all the latest modules for dx 9c, nor are the DX10/11 backward compatible. Even a fresh XP install will require DX 9c installation for those updated modules.

DX 10/11 and DX 9c are located in their own subfolders, they do not overwrite each other. Programs and games are set to locate the necessary files from their respective location.

MWO currently utilizes ONLY dx9c files, thus the need to install dx 9c with either the dxsetup.exe (small file that downloads everything from MS) or the redistribution file (large file but useful if installing on several machines or need to reinstall to replace possible corrupted files).

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=8109

Or

http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35

You will notice that it supports more than just XP.

Most games that come on a CD/DVD will also have a setup to install the updated modules by using one of the paths. For other games that are download only, they direct you to MS to download (using that site's bandwidth instead of their own) and perform the installation, from a trusted source

#4 Thango

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

This is bs, I am having this issue and no matter what I can't get it repaired. I have to reinstall on another location and re-patch? Guess I will not be playing this game for a while. Now I remember why I do not drop any real cash in this game.

Edited by Thango, 21 June 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#5 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

Have you tried installing directx 9? http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35

#6 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:40 AM

I've also gotten this error if certain other 3D software is running when I launch MWO.

#7 Nefertum

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

hi i know this is probably unimportant but i got this error 40 minutes ago. I was seting specs to minimum cuz my fathers PC isnt that great , so that the game woud be playable . After setting the minimum setting game asked to restart so i did and then came the dark age of 3d error so i tryied your method and it didnt work so i tryied out my self , in the end i tryed to delete profiles and it stil didnt work , so i deleted " sistemoverride " and went to try again and i went . the game launched - file is found in " MWO-> Mechwarrior online " cheers!

#8 Mighty Virtus

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

So tell me again how to fix the direct x settings...is it the game client settings or direct x on my pc???

#9 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

View PostMighty Virtus, on 29 July 2014 - 05:55 PM, said:

So tell me again how to fix the direct x settings...is it the game client settings or direct x on my pc???

1. Make sure Windows is up to date and that dx9c newest modules, (links posted previously) have been installed.
2. Change Directx selection in game options. Once change you will need to log out completely of game then back in.

#10 Zoltan

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSaint-Petersburg, Russia

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostNefertum, on 05 July 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

hi i know this is probably unimportant but i got this error 40 minutes ago. I was seting specs to minimum cuz my fathers PC isnt that great , so that the game woud be playable . After setting the minimum setting game asked to restart so i did and then came the dark age of 3d error so i tryied your method and it didnt work so i tryied out my self , in the end i tryed to delete profiles and it stil didnt work , so i deleted " sistemoverride " and went to try again and i went . the game launched - file is found in " MWO-> Mechwarrior online " cheers!

This worked fine for my friend. Just delete systemoverride.cfg from MWO directory and launch the game

#11 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:57 AM

Going to move this over the Workarounds... tad more appropriate there and hopefully will help out anyone else having these issues...

Carry on...

#12 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:18 PM

Greetings all,

For those that have migrated over to Win8 or higher.

As stated this 'newer' version of windows does NOT arrive with any of the older Dx items installed.
- Many programs and games that were designed for XP, Win7 32bit depended on having some items from Dx9c installed in the D3D library.
Win8 and Microsoft chose not to include any of these older drivers in there latest offering. This has caused many problems and issues when attempting to 'reuse' programs that 'used to work'.

- The solution is to locate the Dx9c install from the Microsoft site (don't use a 3rd party installer) and install these few files necessary. Don't worry, as none of these new files overwrite anything that is installed, and everything Dx9 and 10 is forward compatible.
- Don't blame MWO for not working as Microsoft is the culprit here.
(similar to them choosing to eliminate the default media player from any new Win install.)

Find Dx9c here:
http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=34429

And the update for Dx9c here:
http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35

You should be logged in as an administrator to eliminate any install problems.

Once this/these files are downloaded, and you select the file/s,
- your computer will tell you it has more up-to-date drivers installed and won't want to install them.
- Select ignore or install anyways
- After the install you may need to reboot the computer.

(The DirectX end-user installation includes the D3DX, HLSL Compiler, XInput, XAudio, and Managed DirectX 1.1 components.)
- This install should install items listed in your 'windows/system32' location.
- to confirm the installed correctly there should be files that look like this:
(the items with x9 and x10 after them)
Posted Image

And if your also running the 64bit win install there should be additions files in the sysWOW64 folder like this:
Posted Image

As a final note here, if you have the 'MWO Beta Public Test Server' installed, the Dx9c files are there in the install directory.

See here for there location and files included: (why didn't they do this for the Live install?)
Posted Image

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 12 September 2014 - 04:53 AM.

#13 elitewolverine

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:35 PM

This plagued me for freaking months it seems.

I uninstalled, reinstalled, installed directx9c god knows how many times.

Systemoverride.cfg file, removed, and now works like a charm thanks for the TIP.

#14 TheMarshmallowMan

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:28 PM

http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35 allowed me to run the game again. would recomend installing it first

#15 Meat21Guns

Rookie

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:43 AM

where is the file
systemoveride/cfg

Edited by Meat21Guns, 07 July 2015 - 10:44 AM.

#16 Phrasing

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:44 AM

Cant find this file to remove i am having this problem too after i switched from dx9 to 10 in settings

#17 Saphrus

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:45 PM

If anyone else stumbles across this issue:
go to C:\Users\[your account name]\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online
and delete the config file. viola!

#18 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:15 AM

I have found installing Catzilla is a pretty easy way to deal with MWOs' DirectX and C++ dependencies …

#19 Cobra Kai

Rookie

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:28 PM

View PostSaphrus, on 16 September 2015 - 02:45 PM, said:

If anyone else stumbles across this issue:
go to C:\Users\[your account name]\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online
and delete the config file. viola!

This was the solution for me. I'm running Win10. This occurred after I set the directx setting to AUTO. The config file will be recreated once you make any changes.

This is what mine looks like after deleting it.

; DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE!
r_Driver="DX9"
d3d9_TripleBuffering=0
r_txaa=0
r_msaa=0
r_postaa=1

Edited by Cobra Kai, 21 January 2016 - 01:29 PM.

#20 Cobra Kai

Rookie

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:58 PM

Anyone seeing this error again like I did after the latest patch (2/16/16) Please see http://mwomercs.com/...ing-d3d-errors/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users