Spare Atlas Build

8 replies to this topic

#1 Rowanas

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:38 PM

I'm currently trying to master my main atlas, the DDC, but to do so, I have to run a couple of other bloody atlai. I'm just levelling, I'm not wasting cash on giving it shiny upgrades because I'm going to just sell this spare asap. As such, I'm not buying any expensive weapons, FF, endo or double sinks. Given these restrictions and based on using the weapons I've already got, would you kind forumites mind looking over this build (the starting point, as it's outfitted so far) and tell me if you think this might be a superior loadout, or if there's anything else that might work better.

I got the AC/20 from the K I managed to level and scrap earlier, so the only thing I'm buying here is an LRM10. The decrease to 10 (to fit the tubes for a single round of fire) allows me to swap to my AC/10 for the much more CC-focused AC/20, which in theory should make me less of a close combat liability. To account for the worse ammo capacity of the AC/20 I'm swapping out to one set of LRM ammo, two of AC, all of which still fits within my pre-bought weapons restriction.

A slight variation would be something like this, which trades in more of that range for better heat management in close combat and a very small bump to DPS. Swapping a heatsink for another med laser under the PPC is another small tweak. I'm undecided myself.

I'm trying to keep a bit of long range going (counter to my DDC ur-brawler build), because the Atlas is so very slow, and this build will give me something to do when we're just hillhumping and waiting for the LURMspam to stop, but an Atlas is not a support mech, and it needs to face down any heavy/medium in a toe-to-toe gunfight

So, any constructive criticism?

#2 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,900 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

The first thing you must understand as an Atlas pilot is that "atlai" is not a word:
Posted Image

Feel free to steal that - I did.

Moving on, however, I'll tell you right away what I'd do - buy double heat sinks at least. They're not that expensive, and you will spend a -lot- less time grinding up your exp. Ditto with ammunition - or you can just pull that off other 'mechs you might own. The amount of time you save will be worth the relatively small investment in Endo-Steel and DHS, not to mention the quality of your life while grinding out matches - considering that you will get part of that money back when you sell the chassis. Similarly, you'll be keeping any engine you buy, so if you don't have a 325 or 350, it's worth your time to pick one up.

As for builds, hrm. As I'm sure you know, these are all rock-bottom awful builds. There's not much to choose from between them. I think I'd go with the first AC/20 variant (with the Large Laser) if I lost a bet and had to drop in one of them. What I'd recommend, within your design constraints, is something like this:
  • Long-range Combat: Only use the streaks for anti-light harassment, as you will overheat fairly quickly in close-range combat. The medium lasers, coupled with judicious use of the Gauss rifle, will allow you to fight fairly well before overheating at close range - normally you'd have SRM6s, but you can't support the heat. The Gauss Rifle is an expensive weapon - but you want one, or will eventually, if you don't have it.
  • Close Combat: Or you can simply consign yourself to the fact that the Atlas sucks at hill sniping, so there's no use equipping it with long-range direct-fire weapons - and one LRM isn't going to bother the enemy all that much. With this 'mech, your goal isn't to fight at range - instead, just be waiting around the corner whenever they chase your lights, or push into your sniping teammates, then wreak havoc.
Of course, either of those designs will be a substandard build, acting as a sort of dredge anchor that your team has to pull along behind them on the road to victory. If you want to actually contribute your share of the effort, You can spring for Endo-Steel and DHS, and use:
  • This: The LRMs are there to farm assists for the experience, and to make people duck for cover instead of charging you. Not really enough throw weight to rely on the LRMs, but that's why you brought the Gauss Rifle and the medium lasers for close combat.
  • Or This:Again, not an optiimized build, but one designed to farm assists with the missiles, then move in for the kill with short-ranged weapons. It's a bit hot, in part due to the weight spent on LRMs, but it will still last for 19 seconds of heat-neutral close combat from a cold start, and you can lay off the lasers and just hit the AC/20 while torso twisting to cool down.
I personally kept my RS - its extra arm hardpoints allow me to do things with it that I simply cannot do on my Atlas D-DC. Even if you choose to sell yours, however, you can still make use of the extra weapon systems I've included here on your other BattleMechs.

Edited by Void Angel, 11 May 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#3 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

Wouldn't it be Atlas', being adding es to a word ending with s isn't the done thing?

He should have a Gauss rifle from the K at any rate.

You could even try the RS(C) build, just without the double heatsinks: AS7-RS(C)
It should do, reasonably well.

#4 Rowanas

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

Hmmm. A couple of potential adjustments. Unfortunately a lot of your advice, void angel, seems to be "spend more cbills". I can make some tweaks based on the builds that have been posted though. I already accept that I'm a giant 100ton waste of space in the spare atlas, but I'll make it up to everyone when I've mastered my DDC.

Ovion, it would be Atlas' if it were possessive, not plural. The RS(C) is pretty much boating LURMs, which I will never do, but yes, I have a gauss, so it's something I could look at swapping out.

#5 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,900 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

View PostOvion, on 11 May 2014 - 02:29 PM, said:

Wouldn't it be Atlas', being adding es to a word ending with s isn't the done thing?

He should have a Gauss rifle from the K at any rate.

You could even try the RS(C) build, just without the double heatsinks: AS7-RS(C)
It should do, reasonably well.

No, that'd be the singular possessive - and you certainly do add "es" to words ending in 's,' or most consonants, really. Cactuses, syllabuses, er, buses... The list goes on. Sometimes there are variations, because unlike other languages, which developed by alterations in common usages and borrowing from other languages, English developed by beating up other languages in a dark alley, and shaking down their pockets for loose grammar.

Edit: hah! Rowanas beat me to it!
Edit again because spelling is hard.

Edited by Void Angel, 12 May 2014 - 10:16 AM.

#6 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,900 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:37 PM

Rowanas, you have to spend money to make money - virtual currency is little different. In this case, it's simply a matter of how much you are willing to pay in C-bills to buy experience faster - or save time grinding, depending on how you look at it. My first two suggestions are within your asked-for design constraints, however. The only major purchases would be the Gauss Rifle - which is a good weapon to have for certain builds - particularly if you want to snipe.

#7 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

Budget Atlas?

AC-20(21 rounds), 2x mlas + LRM30(20 + 10). Optional TAG.

Edited by Spheroid, 12 May 2014 - 04:26 PM.

#8 Roachbugg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:49 AM

One does not simply sell an atlas shameful idea. But if you want builds you are going to have to spend money you may as well keep the RS and the D they are great mechs and play a little different from the DD-C. Also you will not have an easy time leveling without the added speed of atleast a 325 engine the 300 is garbage for this mech.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...73569abb914cc69 Tenacious D

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1e8749087684ad7 Terminator

And i thought Atlas was a plural of itself. IE: "The Clanners were Crushed under the might of a lance of Lyran Atlas battlemechs"

Edited by Roachbugg, 14 May 2014 - 07:51 AM.

#9 Zelumbras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:38 AM

I understand that you don't want to spend anything on 'the other Atlas' but have to agree with Void Angel and Roachbugg. At first glance the RS might seem inferior in every aspect - if you try to use it the same way you would use the D-DC. You can basically do two different things with it now:

1. Just get it over with:
Field whatever spare parts you have and hope the matchmaker gives you strong teams (or weak opponents) that will let you quickly unlock all basics without having to do much. Sell it afterwards or go to Point 2.

2. Invest and make something only the RS can do: use those energy hardpoints in the arms!
The Terminator build Roachbugg posted is a solid machine and similar to the first idea i had when i set my eyes on the Atlas some time ago. Having 30+ laser damage in the arms allows for high pinpoint damage if you have good aim and can wreck Lights/Mediums quickly. Once the big mechs get close, hammer them with the AC-20 but always watch your heat.

Or do something crazy like the AS7-RS Wublas. The RS is the only mech that can use four arm mounted LPL with good heat efficiency which was the main reason why i even bought the Atlas mechs a few days ago. It runs insanely hot without basics but is so much fun to pilot that i mastered it even faster than the easy mode D-DC. Lights and all mechs wich XL engines will melt in seconds if you have good aim with the Pulse Lasers. just imagine having an AC-40 JM with fully articulated arms, unlimited ammo and the armor of an Atlas ;).

Edited by Vulcan888, 15 May 2014 - 05:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users