The Battlemaster

31 replies to this topic

#21 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:13 PM

View PostThe Great Unwashed, on 02 May 2014 - 12:39 AM, said:

@ Takashi Uchida: interesting to see people do well with a build so far meta removed... (which is not a bad thing per se... ;) )

Well hey, it's obviously not going to be as good as a AC5/PPC Victor lol. But, the 1D build it's based off of is something that I have personally tried and can vouch for. Really easy to use, too. I've seen others do well with it too. Probably won't do you much good in premade 12v12, but will serve you pretty excellently in PUGs and 4-mans.

#22 Roachbugg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:09 AM

I must say the extra speed of the xl360 made this mech feel far better on the ground but i still don't like the loss of survivability.

I think the battle master just isn't tanky enough for me don't think I will elite the chassis but i will keep the build on my pheonix one to run occasionally.

#23 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostRoachbugg, on 03 May 2014 - 07:09 AM, said:

I must say the extra speed of the xl360 made this mech feel far better on the ground but i still don't like the loss of survivability.

I think the battle master just isn't tanky enough for me don't think I will elite the chassis but i will keep the build on my pheonix one to run occasionally.

The BLR runs an XL better than any non-Victor assault. In fact, since the BLR isn't really all that meta, people often aren't sure how to deal with them. People usually just go center-mass when they shoot at them, not considering the likelihood of an XL. The BLR isn't really good for tanking, you put a big engine in there and run it as a super-heavy skirmisher. A BLR with a 400XL and Speed Tweak goes 83.9kph, that's stupid fast for something that size.

#24 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

I have yet to run an XL in any of my Battlemasters, but I feel as though I lose at least one side torso in 50% or more of my matches. I certainly feel I have more staying power using a standard. It's how I got all those near death achievements.

#25 Zigeunerskat

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

My current 1G.

I used to run it with an LRM 20, 5 MLs and two AC2. This build is a straight improvement, I cut down on the LRMs due to the tube size but gained a Large Laser. The AC5s really shine as you can pump out lots of DPS with them and you will cool down while doing so, which matches very well with the laser arsenal.

My current 1S:

A heavy missle boat with BAP and TAG, 40 LRMs per salvo, plenty of ammo, decent close range defense and some long range direct firepower. This is the most relaxed to play, stay in the back of your team and unleash hell onto anything on which you get a steady lock. Or help yourself with the TAG. It is just slow; I recommend cutting the PPC for something smaller and run a bigger engine until you unlock speed tweak.

I broke 1000 dmg with both of these and that was with less optimized builds.

I mastered but sold my 1D because I run better with Mechs that have direct and indiect fire mixed together. But it looked something like this.
It runs pretty hot so use your agility to get back into cover and cool down. Or simply shoot enemies which cannot shoot back because you outrange them so heavily. Direct fire potential is huge on this one.

In general I agree that Battlemasters do best with high mobility, which means a big engine. They arent really tanky, especially not with an XL Engine, but your agility allows you to use cover and pop out at places which are really uncomfortable for the enemy. Your high torso energy mounts allow you to shot over hills with ease (seriously, they are about cockpit-high) or you can just stick your left arm out for some heavy ballistic fire. The Mech is best played, as others said, a super-heavy skirmisher and a flanker.
Avoid prolonged uncovered firefights because this energy-heavy Mech runs hot at some point. When enemy attention is focused elsewhere, pop out and bring in the pain.

Lastly: New variants of the BLR were recently released. I did not buy them yet, but I did also not see any real reason to do so.

#26 RedEagle86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

I've got 3 very different Battlemaster builds.

First, in the 1G, a Supernova-esque build. Two or more of those ERLL's can be swapped for normal LL's, and 2 heat sinks dropped for AMS. Or 1, and take another half-ton of ammo off the legs to 41 points each.

On the 1D, putting the 400XL engine I got with the Boar's Head to use, 4ERLL, 3 MG (2 tons ammo), AMS.

On the 1S, it varies. I generally use (2) LRM15, (2)SRM6, 4ML, AMS. If I want pure LRMs, I'll bring either LRM50 (2*20, 2*5) or LRM40 (2*15, 2*5), and 4 ML. STD 300 Engine too, IIRC.

#27 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:35 PM

Yep - run a big XL and realize how highly-mounted those shoulders are. Feel free to put MGs or something in the arms, but this guy isn't a brawler (unless you can get a tbolt or phract to stand in front of you and shoot over them).

#28 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:36 PM

View PostRedEagle86, on 05 May 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

On the 1S, it varies. I generally use (2) LRM15, (2)SRM6, 4ML, AMS. If I want pure LRMs, I'll bring either LRM50 (2*20, 2*5) or LRM40 (2*15, 2*5), and 4 ML. STD 300 Engine too, IIRC.

You're better off with 2*15 and 2*10, the refresh rate on the LRM20 is too slow. EDIT: Unless you're trying to avoid ghost heat penalties.

Edited by Escef, 06 May 2014 - 12:36 AM.

#29 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:40 AM

The Battlemaster 1G is one of those mechs that's driven me nuts. The fused spine on the mech makes it pretty lousy as a brawler. Doesn't matter how fast you're going, or whether you're carrying XL or standard - it's an easy mark at close quarters. The build I've settled into is more of a mid-range/striker with that in mind. Group the GR together with the LLs and separately with the MLs/SRM6 (and by itself on a third group) and you're in business. It's heat efficient enough to alpha strike with the kitchen sink several times in a row when necessary, and hits hard enough when it does that it'll definitely force targets to have to twist defensively.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a774b91fdc42cf8

#30 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:48 AM

View PostBanky, on 06 May 2014 - 05:40 AM, said:

The Battlemaster 1G is one of those mechs that's driven me nuts. The fused spine on the mech makes it pretty lousy as a brawler. Doesn't matter how fast you're going, or whether you're carrying XL or standard - it's an easy mark at close quarters.

Easy? No. Almost as bad as a Stalker? Yeah. I run it with a 400XL, and while it may be fast, it still starts, stops, and corners like a truck. Still, didn't stop me from circle strafing an poorly kitted out BlackJack once. It was hilarious, dude must have been running the stock engine.

#31 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

A few Battlemaster builds submitted for your approval:

BLR-1G : The ER is for tagging and poking. Lay off it in close combat unless you have a lot of heat to spare.

BLR-1D (1) : The dakkamaster. Just lay on the ballistics and off the lasers. Most people have trouble targeting the correct locations on your mech (left shoulder) through the hail of bullets. The build is a lot of fun but becomes lack luster as your opponent's skill increases. Eventually you'll have to move on.

BLR-1D (2) : My attempt to replace the venerable dakkamaster. I haven't had much luck with it but so far that has been more due to people being able to easily hit the Battlemaster's cockpit than the weapon loadout.

BLR-1S (1) : For when SRMs fix goes in. Also note that you can pick up the XL400 for this build if you want. It even frees up some weight.

BLR-1S (2) : If LRMs are your thing. Never run this myself but I've seen it out there plenty of time. Not sure of the exact build most use but this is a version with a standard engine. It would probably be safe to pick up an XL for more heat sinks & ammo for this build.

Haven't tried the two new variants but they look very similar to existing ones so you could probably run one of these builds with a little twist to it.

Edited by Rouken, 06 May 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#32 Blue Frog

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 89 posts
  • LocationWhere You Least Expect...

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

My 1S has 4xLRM15s with 10 tonsof ammo and 4 MPLs. I run an xl300 in it so it's a little slow, but since it's for indirect support that works ok. I routinely get 600-700 dmg. His name is Chikn Little 'cause when he is on his game, the sky is falling. :)

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users