- - - - -

Looking For A New Mech, Shadowhawk?

7 replies to this topic

#1 sirjj

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:06 PM

I've been playing mainly my ember and am ready for a new mech though I have 5 other mechs that I don't like.

I'm thinking about buying a shadowhawk as my next mech to try out LRM boating or any other builds that I can do with the shadowhawk. Also because I heard that medium were going to be good in the new patch or something. I've been playing mainly my ember.

I starter like 15 days ago so I don't want to mess up with buying the wrong engine or what ever for my build, what are some good Shadowhawk builds? I'm leaning more toward the SHD-2d2 or maybe something else.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

Shadowhawks are excellent mechs, and one of the best things about them is that they are extremely flexible. LRM boat today, rock heavy ballistics tomorrow, then go all lasery after that.

The 2D2 is great, but really, it's hard to go wrong with SHD's.

#3 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:26 AM

Shadow hawks are amongst the best of the mediums. I even re-bought the 2h i sold (shouldn't have sold it)

edit: lol i thought i saw stormcrow in the title...

Edited by dragnier1, 30 April 2014 - 12:27 AM.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:05 AM

I'm curious as to what your five other mechs you have are, and why you don't like them.

The Shadowhawk is a versatile mech and a great choice for any pilot, good hardpoints and great hitboxes, able to run creative builds as well as popular ("meta") builds including AC5 and PPCs.

The new patch doesn't change medium mechs, but the new system of 3/3/3/3 means every team needs 3 of each, so medium mechs (whuch have been often undesirable) may give you a faster queue time. As of now, 3/3/3/3 has not been implemented yet (it was broken) but it's still nice to have a good Medium mech.

#5 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:45 AM

If you want to use as LRM boat too I suggest the K that has 3 missile bays with 10 launcher, and all in the side torso so as LRM boat you can do something like this :

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...290dea67532e9f2

if you TAG them (great place, in side torso too! and high!) LRM10+A are deadly will basically all go for CT !

If you want to use indirect fire as well you can remove artemis, but I'd not remove it because when you use streaks you're gonna use it for faster locks anyway.Also with this you can actually score kills rather then big but spread damage.

Armor is low, but you are a medium LRM boat, gotta make compromises, if they come close, with only 2MLas as last resort, you're gonna die anyway, armor or not.

Edited by fx8320, 30 April 2014 - 02:50 AM.

#6 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

OP, I believe you know about this already, but if not, you need to know that you need 3 variants of one chassis to master the mech, and also, to save you a burden, smurfy, mechspecs, and other parts of this forum can help a ton. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab http://www.mechspecs.com/ These websites could help you a ton in finding the right build for any mech you desire, and as Redshift has said, what mechs are your other ones? The Ember is a really good mech when used well (as far as I see it) and mastering it would take it to a new level. My personal Shadow Hawk builds are:
SHD-2D: 1xAC10 3xMPL
SHD-2D2: 3xSRM6 1xSRM4 2xML
SHD-2H: 3xMG 3xSSRM 1xLPL
SHD-2K: 1xER PPC 1xTAG 3xALRM5
SHD-5M: 2xAC5 2xML
Hope I helped a bit. :)

Edited by luxebo, 30 April 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#7 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:26 PM

Shadowhawks are probably the best medium chassis. As the others have said, all of its variants (minus 2K) are extremely flexible, on top of the fact that it can jump and roll damage like a champ. The only major downside its boxy cockpit and poor peripheral vision.

Edited by process, 30 April 2014 - 04:26 PM.

#8 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

With the recent addition of 2 new Shadowhawks, you have even more to chose from and you will likely be able to find at least 3 with hardpoints favorable to you. All can use a wide range of engines, as well as jump jets.

Having said that, there are a few disadvantages:
-The left torso is very close to the cockpit, I personally can't pilot these things with a machine gun or AC/2. The muzzle flash will take up a third of the screen and it makes me sick. Some people don't mind.
-The torso twist is fairly limited.
-The cockpit location is quite high compared to the arms, so arm mounted weapons are not good for hill hugging (you can compensate by using jump jets). However, the left torso weapons are right next to the cockpit so if you can see it, you can hit it!

Note that these may affect me more than you, and even with these little things, I still find them very fun to pilot overall, with the 2D2 having my best K/D of all my mechs.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users