11 replies to this topic

#1 Spawnsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:25 AM

Hi folks!

I've just uploaded my first MWO video tutorial, here's hoping this helps at least one new player get to grips with playing MWO!

Any feedback from players new and old would be greatly appreciated and if people like what they see I will try to put out a couple more on other topics.

Cheers!

Edited for new youtube link...

Edited by Spawnsalot, 11 May 2014 - 11:31 AM.

#2 qki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:07 AM

Feels a little text-heavy at times. If you're not doing a voice over, consider making your text a bit more condensed, so people can realistically read it without pausing the video.

Great work otherwise.

#3 Spawnsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:50 AM

Thanks! Yeah there is quite a bit of text to chew through - I slimmed it down where I could without losing information or dragging the video out, but unfortunately you may need to cosy up to the pause button occasionally.

I'll try to slim it down on any future vids though I don't think anyone wants to listen to my voice droning on for the duration. ^_^

#4 The Ninja

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between the Inner Sphere and the Imperium of Man

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

Awesome tutorial, keep them coming ^_^.

However, you forgot to mention the LB10X-AC in the part where you explain autocannons.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

Watching it now. There are people who prefer to be told things, and people who prefer to read things (because people talk too slow or unclearly). So it's important to have tutorials that suit every learning style.

A physical science teacher taught me that. In fact, every day for a week from Monday to Thursday, he'd go over the same thing again and again but in different styles. First day, lecture for those who learn by listening. Most people went to sleep, but I learned it instantly (and slept every other day). Next day, visual demonstrations for those who learn by watching. Next day, vocab. (For those who learn by knowing what things mean). Day after, written questions and answers (for the people who learn by reading and writing). Followed by spoken questions and answers (for those who learn by two way communication). And finally the test. I'd sleep Tuesday through Thursday and Friday I'd be done with the test in 3 minutes or less depending on how much I had to actually write. Typically my test scores were in the 94 to 100 range and my lowest score ever was 90; I refused to write a full question in response to an answer provided because it was too much writing. (I don't like writing by hand.)

Good information. You may condense it but it's hard to pick and choose what to condense. Don't delete the current video just retitle it; as some people may prefer the word-heavy version. And yes, the LB-10 was nowhere to be found.

However, I would keep your information on weapon systems generalized or even separate it into a different video. Here's why, weapons change. Not frequently but they do change. Ultra ACs are going to be burst fire, and the LB weapons for Clans will have switchable ammo; a first step in ammunition toggling. We may see inferno SRMs, armor piercing AC rounds, the list goes on.

Edited by Koniving, 30 April 2014 - 09:10 AM.

#6 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

View PostKoniving, on 30 April 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

We may see inferno SRMs, armor piercing AC rounds, the list goes on.

If we see that day, Unicorns will burst out of my chest amidst rainbows and skittles and I will explode into a puff of funfetti from joy.

EDIT: I just hope it's soon.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 30 April 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 30 April 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

If we see that day, Unicorns will burst out of my chest amidst rainbows and skittles and I will explode into a puff of funfetti from joy.

EDIT: I just hope it's soon.

One shutters at what inhuman thoughts lay behind that mask.

#8 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:51 AM

View PostKoniving, on 30 April 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

Yes, more like that, with less lollipops. XD

#9 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 01 May 2014 - 05:51 AM, said:

Yes, more like that, with more lollipops. XD

Fixed that for you. :rolleyes:

#10 Spawnsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:24 PM

Back in the country again! I think I'll remake the video and try to crowbar the LBXs in there somewhere... Will post it up in a day or two!

#11 Spawnsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

Did I say 'a day or two'? I totally meant several days... *cough*

Anyhoo, re-released the tutorial with the bits I missed the first time round - updated the link in the OP.

Enjoy, hope this helps!

#12 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

Nicely done, like it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users