Again With The Clicking

4 replies to this topic

#1 DeadlyNerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

So now we get to do an extra click for public/private dialogue. I click more times in the menus to start a damn match, than during that match.

It was already too much we had to constantly confirm we wanted to play the chosen set of game modes.

I don't see where's the problem. The GUI designer has a fetish for checkboxes, so why doesn't he add 1 that lets us skip all the confirmations.
Or even simpler, add a button that says "Launch with present choices".
OR or, wait, here's a better one. Give us a drop down menu(you can do that, can't you? can you?), where we can pick which modes we want to play.

Also, instead of the "choose private match", you can create a separate button that says "Create a private lobby". Doesn't that sound logical? To me it does, because YOU CAN'T JOIN A PRIVATE GROUP, MUPPETS. You said it yourselves.
What is this? Last I remember, the company is called Pirahna Gaming Inc, not Alzheimer's Gaming Inc.

Why do we even have >>>DIALOGUE BOXES<<<<? These are features old Java Swing applications use. Sure, I understand you want to RP and pretend GUI 0.2 is using Lostech, but I don't think the whole playerbase is keen on doing the same.

Why can I think of numerous far more convenient design choices, than your >>GUI DESIGNER<<. He has a >>DESIGNER<< in his title, I don't. There's something very wrong here.

Wanna do us all a favor? Want to FINALLY push a change NOBODY will have a complaint about? Remove the dialogue boxes, all of them, even the ones for confirming one received achievement reward(honestly..., "Here's your money we're giving away no questions asked, but first sign here." Gonna sign your ass with my boot if you keep on asking...).

Create a log we can open to view achievement rewards, place the game mode choices ANYWHERE you want, ANYWHERE. You can place them in the damn mech lab under configure mech, under modules tab, just remove the damn dialogue box, it doesn't belong to this era.
They may look "fun" and "cool" on smartphones, because you can press them with your finger and they take up half the damn screen, and they have cool animations. THESE DON'T, they probably never will, considering your track record for game fluff, and even if they do they'll still be redundant.

Software designers are running away from dialogue boxes, simply because they're tiring to use, and get annoying quickly. Why does MWO have to be a special case? You're not inventing hot water here, you're going against the basic principles of today's software development.

Read the first paragraph(no, not the introductory sentence):
http://blog.codingho...the-dialog-box/

There's a term called "Dialog box fatigue", and your GUI is the prime example of how this term occurs.

#2 RushOutlaw

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 44 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

You are a very angry individual...

#3 DeadlyNerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

View PostRushOutlaw, on 30 April 2014 - 12:51 PM, said:

You are a very angry individual...

No, I've just had a wave of creative cynicism. Dialogue boxes do that to me.

#4 Masterrix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

+1 OP

simple solutions are still too hard for PGI's UI engineers

click-click-clickeldyclick

#5 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

View PostDeadlyNerd, on 30 April 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

So now we get to do an extra click for public/private dialogue. I click more times in the menus to start a damn match, than during that match.

It was already too much we had to constantly confirm we wanted to play the chosen set of game modes.

I don't see where's the problem. The GUI designer has a fetish for checkboxes, so why doesn't he add 1 that lets us skip all the confirmations.
Or even simpler, add a button that says "Launch with present choices".
OR or, wait, here's a better one. Give us a drop down menu(you can do that, can't you? can you?), where we can pick which modes we want to play.

Also, instead of the "choose private match", you can create a separate button that says "Create a private lobby". Doesn't that sound logical? To me it does, because YOU CAN'T JOIN A PRIVATE GROUP, MUPPETS. You said it yourselves.
What is this? Last I remember, the company is called Pirahna Gaming Inc, not Alzheimer's Gaming Inc.

Why do we even have >>>DIALOGUE BOXES<<<<? These are features old Java Swing applications use. Sure, I understand you want to RP and pretend GUI 0.2 is using Lostech, but I don't think the whole playerbase is keen on doing the same.

Why can I think of numerous far more convenient design choices, than your >>GUI DESIGNER<<. He has a >>DESIGNER<< in his title, I don't. There's something very wrong here.

Wanna do us all a favor? Want to FINALLY push a change NOBODY will have a complaint about? Remove the dialogue boxes, all of them, even the ones for confirming one received achievement reward(honestly..., "Here's your money we're giving away no questions asked, but first sign here." Gonna sign your ass with my boot if you keep on asking...).

Create a log we can open to view achievement rewards, place the game mode choices ANYWHERE you want, ANYWHERE. You can place them in the damn mech lab under configure mech, under modules tab, just remove the damn dialogue box, it doesn't belong to this era.
They may look "fun" and "cool" on smartphones, because you can press them with your finger and they take up half the damn screen, and they have cool animations. THESE DON'T, they probably never will, considering your track record for game fluff, and even if they do they'll still be redundant.

Software designers are running away from dialogue boxes, simply because they're tiring to use, and get annoying quickly. Why does MWO have to be a special case? You're not inventing hot water here, you're going against the basic principles of today's software development.

Read the first paragraph(no, not the introductory sentence):
http://blog.codingho...the-dialog-box/

There's a term called "Dialog box fatigue", and your GUI is the prime example of how this term occurs.

Yes, I quoted that whole post. Why ? Because he is so damn right it hurts and it can't be repeated often enough.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users