- - - - -

To Get The Champion A1 Or Not...

17 replies to this topic

#1 MortVent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationother side of the ridge firing lrms at ya

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

Just a question, I have all the catapults right now but the champion A1. should I get it, and simply refit it to match my standard A1 (I do notice the 2x xp bonus is linked to the chassis... the trial and the standard I own both lose the bonus if one is used)

I love my catapults, and can see making the champion a defacto build and use my stock A1 for running test build/splat fun now and then. (or the ever popular 6x launcher troll builds)

#2 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:26 PM

Posted Image

You will thank me later.

Posted Image

#3 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:26 PM

The Champion will give you the XP boost (10%), that's it. Any Xp you gain on it, is also assigned to the A1. So not really worth getting a second mech. Unless you want the XP farm from it. If you are going to have drastically different builds on the A1 chassis, then that would be a feasible purchase.

I would honestly recommend getting a hero mech instead. However, I'm not you.

#4 Bartholomew bartholomew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

I believe you also get a GXP boost as well. At least it seems I get GXP faster when I am using a champion.

But then again i take my cat A1 out for fun when I get frustrated with other builds. Or just too many stomps.

#5 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:42 PM

View PostBartholomew bartholomew, on 03 May 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

I believe you also get a GXP boost as well. At least it seems I get GXP faster when I am using a champion.

Gxp earnings are a boost on top of (or taken from? I can never remember) base XP earnings - so any XP boost will boost both.

#6 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

Yes, the 10% XP boost extends to GXP.

#7 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:14 AM

Don't pay MC for a Champion. Just get premium time with the same amount of MC and enjoy swimming in XP and C-Bills.

#8 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:28 AM

I wouldn't reccomend it. you have an A1, you can earn plenty of regular XP in your existing A1. If you need more GXP, converting as chunk of xp into gxp will cost a lot less than buying a whole champion mech and more expeediant than merely gaining 10% more gxp per match with one mech.

#9 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,676 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:58 AM

Champion mechs are not recommended. The XP boost is marginal and only useful until you have mastered the mech. Then you have a ton of leftover XP and no way to spend it unless you pay MC to convert to GXP. A hero mech does cost more but that 30% cbill boost is SIGNIFICANTLY more useful!

#10 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:10 AM

I love my Cats, but don't even own an A1. I don't think the Champ is worth it at regular price.

I bought the Champ Jenner when it was on sale. I use this mech all the time. It is one of my best performers. I love how people see the (c) and think I am brand new and then I run up behind them and blow out their knees with my 6xSPLs. I love chasing Boomjaegers.

I wouldn't recommend buying any Champ at regular price though, unless you don't mind sinking the money. But the Champ Jenner is better overall then the Oxide. More role flexibility. My Oxide just hugs fat boys and plinks with SSRMs. gets great damage scores but hardly any kills.

Edited by Golrar, 04 May 2014 - 01:11 AM.

#11 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:14 AM

standard A1=champion A1. Don't bother getting the champ if you already own the standard. The champ's gonna cost you MC, which is better spent on heros/mechbays.

#12 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:57 AM

Get something else, the A1 isn't that great, and hasn't been for a very long time now. And by that, I mean since ghost heat was introduced.

#13 MrMasakari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 387 posts
  • LocationThe Kerensky Cluster

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:03 AM

The A1 is a fantastic mech which I love to pieces, the only reason to get a champion mech really is to get the XP(which i think is actually a worthless bonus seeing as the game revolves entirely around C-bills and not XP) but I personally don't think its wise to invest in the A1(C) simply because there are much better champion mechs. The catapult is riddled with lots of flaws + an incredibly easy to hit CT and I think you would actually be wasting your MC if you bought one.

#14 MortVent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationother side of the ridge firing lrms at ya

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:48 AM

Well I may get it once if goes on sale... I've mastered all the cats buy my K2 and Jester. (mainly since I have issues with gunnery... I suck through lack of experince and minor issues health wise with my hands)

View Postsneeking, on 04 May 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

your wrong,,, 2xlrm20 artemus makes you so wrong in saying this...

I run close to the stock build, in the A1 with 2 a15s and 4 streak2s. XL, endo steel, bap, ams and do very nicely (as well as any lrm boat does anyway)

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostMortVent, on 03 May 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

I love my catapults, and can see making the champion a defacto build and use my stock A1 for running test build/splat fun now and then. (or the ever popular 6x launcher troll builds)

If you have the A1...why get the champion? Other than as a backup or test mech, I don't particularly see a point. It will not count as a separate mech, and without a penny spent you can get a second A1 (or wait for it to be given away free as the Centurion champion was).

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

But, when you sit there in your mechbay and look at your Catapults, flipping through them... maybe you'll be like me.

When I browse through my 103 bays, I hear this at the speakers' maximum volume.
The windows vibrate.
I have my own imaginary orchestra playing it. A conductor swinging his arms to and fro.
And enemies quake. Default green on enemies turns into Camo Dark Brown (think about it).

Then everything just goes my way.

#17 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

I too find this odd pleasure looking at the my Catapults, painted all this way and that... Early on I spent a little much on permanent camos for the things. At this point I have a company of CPLT's.

OP, my original reply was off, I thought you were asking whether you should get an A1, in the first place. PGI hasn't given us a good enough incentive to want to squeeze every gxp we can, imho. It may make sense at some point, just not yet. I already have two and I think about it sometimes, but you could (?) get more cbills from premium time to buy more than just an A1 frame. Mechbays should really be the key at some point. I'm sitting on a ton a' cbills though, YMMV. Someone starting off new, PT boost is more valuable.

If you knew you could ride this beast like I do, and knew you were gonna play the sht out of it, you could grind cbills and gxp pretty easy. Really, it's easy enough and beastly enough, it does pretty damn good for component damage and whatnot. If you think of it, you are the ultimate "CHASE ME!" squirrel.

Silly dogs.

#18 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

View PostOrbit Rain, on 03 May 2014 - 09:26 PM, said:

Posted Image

You will thank me later.

Posted Image

I second this build.