Gameplay

1443 replies to this topic

#1201 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:17 PM

View PostHeffay, on 18 November 2014 - 06:03 AM, said:

You talking about your hope for Star Citizen? I bought an LTI rear admiral package in the middle of 2013. Hard to believe that was a year and a half ago. At least we have a couple of modules to ... well, I'd say play but meh. I'm sure a ton of stuff is happening in the background, and I know development work takes time, but I have to admit I'm surprised at the pace. Even makes PGI look blazing fast. I've since sold off my Connie (kaching! Play for free for life? Yessir!), but still have my LTI digital pirate and a Ghost Hornet, but to be honest at this point I will probably be primarily interested in the single player game.

nah, talking about MWO and PGI getting their **** together. Still hasn't happened, still seems to be far from happening (Quirkening is a failure, UI 2.0 still a mess, CW 2 years late. Where's info warfare? Role warfare?) and still only 3 game modes, all being derivations of standard deathmatch. I've given up on MWO, it'll never be the game it was supposed to be purely due to a lack of ambition and competence.

In the meantime, Star Citizen added 4 different game modes, all being completely different from one another, is adding more ships that each offer completely different playstyles, will soon be releasing information warfare through heat signature and concealment, already has role warfare implemented. I mean, PGI should be taking notes right now and start doing what they're doing! They are orders of magnitude ahead of MWO and they're still in pre-alpha. I do understand you probably mixed PGI and CIG there for a sec and meant CIG looks blazing fast compared to MWO. Hey, mistakes happen, I once looked at a snail crawling on the ground and thought it was a lamborghini.

Oh and guess what, there are collisions and ramming in SC! Perhaps they should send their magic recipe to PGI, what do you think?

Edited by Sybreed, 18 November 2014 - 05:18 PM.

#1202 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:10 AM

View PostSybreed, on 18 November 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

nah, talking about MWO and PGI getting their **** together. Still hasn't happened, still seems to be far from happening (Quirkening is a failure, UI 2.0 still a mess, CW 2 years late. Where's info warfare? Role warfare?) and still only 3 game modes, all being derivations of standard deathmatch. I've given up on MWO, it'll never be the game it was supposed to be purely due to a lack of ambition and competence.

In the meantime, Star Citizen added 4 different game modes, all being completely different from one another, is adding more ships that each offer completely different playstyles, will soon be releasing information warfare through heat signature and concealment, already has role warfare implemented. I mean, PGI should be taking notes right now and start doing what they're doing! They are orders of magnitude ahead of MWO and they're still in pre-alpha. I do understand you probably mixed PGI and CIG there for a sec and meant CIG looks blazing fast compared to MWO. Hey, mistakes happen, I once looked at a snail crawling on the ground and thought it was a lamborghini.

Oh and guess what, there are collisions and ramming in SC! Perhaps they should send their magic recipe to PGI, what do you think?

Well, seems pretty much like MWO is doomed, right? How can they compete against Star Citizen!

Good thing I have my Star Citizen game packages, so if they ever implement the Fun Module I'll be able to play it. In the meantime, I guess I'll just stick to playing MWO while waiting for SQ42 to be released in...2016? Probably 2016.

#1203 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

Quirkening is a failure...

That's merely your opinion.

UI 2.0 still a mess

Granted. But they're getting to it.

CW 2 years late.

Also granted.

Where's info warfare?

In-game, in the form of no-LOS targeting and related modules, seismic sensor, UAV, ECM (you wanted concealment?), etc.

Role warfare?

In-game, in the form of mechs with varying sizes and speeds, mech quirks, a revamped rewards system, room for specialization, etc.

and still only 3 game modes

We're getting another one next month, which deviates sharply from deathmatch.

I've given up on MWO, it'll never be the game it was supposed to be purely due to a lack of ambition and competence.

PGI has forty people. How many people does SC have? Very interesting how PGI's critics always seem to conveniently ignore that fact.

If you think that said undermanning is simply making MWO too slow and unreliable a product, then that might be a valid stance. But say that. Don't talk about ambition and competence when other factors are clearly responsible.

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 19 November 2014 - 03:26 PM.

#1204 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 19 November 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

PGI has forty people.

PGI also has a game people want to play. Despite having 600k backers, the *total* player base for SC is about 2000 people, based on the size of the combined leaderboards for all the different game modes.

That's not 2000 concurrent. That's 2000 total.

#1205 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:30 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 19 November 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

That's merely your opinion.

Granted. But they're getting to it.

Also granted.

In-game, in the form of no-LOS targeting and related modules, seismic sensor, UAV, ECM (you wanted concealment?), etc.

In-game, in the form of mechs with varying sizes and speeds, mech quirks, a revamped rewards system, room for specialization, etc.

We're getting another one next month, which deviates sharply from deathmatch.

PGI has forty people. How many people does SC have? Very interesting how PGI's critics always seem to conveniently ignore that fact.

If you think that said undermanning is simply making MWO too slow and unreliable a product, then that might be a valid stance. But say that. Don't talk about ambition and competence when other factors are clearly responsible.

and you seem to forget that PGI kept saying in 2012 that they would hire more people to accelerate development of MWO. Oh, they hired more people, that they did, but they worked on Transverse instead.

#1206 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:35 PM

Of course he is - how else would he know what PGI has or has not actually done!

It is just that what SC has is OBVIOUSLY so much better!

#1207 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:39 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 20 November 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

Of course he is - how else would he know what PGI has or has not actually done!

It is just that what SC has is OBVIOUSLY so much better!

Well, SC is certainly ambitious. But it's just a bit unfair that he's comparing the actual game MWO has right now against the planned game SC will be. He really should be comparing what SC is promising against what MWO is promising, such as single player campaign, Solaris arena, UI 2.5, yadda yadda yadda.

Or at least compare the game SC has right now against the game MWO has right now. In which case MWO just blows SC away.

Edited by Heffay, 20 November 2014 - 12:40 PM.

#1208 DEN_Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:39 PM

View PostHeffay, on 20 November 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

So?

How are you finding the gameplay in Star Citizen? Is it anywhere near as fun as MWO? You're still playing MWO, right?

Still championing this thread I see Heffay?

I've this point grown not to care about the opinions of idiots that are offended and disillusioned into thinking that their interests are the best interests for a game. Not that they will ever truly yield to say that their opinions are particularly wrong.

Case in point is that people are right now abandoning and demanding refunds for Elite Dangerous weeks before a new update that would add an slew of new features. They clearly presented WHY they are dropping offline support and while it was promised that there would be offline support that there would be huge technical problems. They don't want to deliver a half baked single player offline experience so they are dropping offline support. It is a reasonable decision and they are giving out refunds still.

It is irrational to be angry when the developers have to make a hard decision instead of wasting resources to try and implement a feature as is. The game as far as I can tell is great but just this one topic, that is insignificant in the grand scheme of things, has caused so much irrational hate.

But hey, Sybreed, if you wanna keep spouting that rhetoric about how MWO is failing so miserable despite recent events there really is no need for you to continue the hatefest here.

Edited by Tichorius Davion, 20 November 2014 - 12:40 PM.

#1209 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:52 PM

View PostTichorius Davion, on 20 November 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

Still championing this thread I see Heffay?

What can I say? I'm a big fan of Star Citizen. It's turning out to be a World of Spacecraft Duty style of game, which is really interesting to me (although I predict an RSI forum upheaval of unprecedented levels once people see what they are getting). E:D will scratch my single player space sim itch (along with Kerbal Space Program for real space-sim action), Star Citizen will fill my MMO itch, and MWO will continue to be my giant stompy space robot Battletech game that I've been pining for for the last 25 years.

It's a good time to be me! Everything is coming up Milhouse!

#1210 DEN_Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:55 PM

View PostHeffay, on 20 November 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

What can I say? I'm a big fan of Star Citizen. It's turning out to be a World of Spacecraft Duty style of game, which is really interesting to me (although I predict an RSI forum upheaval of unprecedented levels once people see what they are getting). E:D will scratch my single player space sim itch (along with Kerbal Space Program for real space-sim action), Star Citizen will fill my MMO itch, and MWO will continue to be my giant stompy space robot Battletech game that I've been pining for for the last 25 years.

It's a good time to be me! Everything is coming up Milhouse!

As much negativity i have about Star Citizen I still want it to succeed but the community that has rallied behind it is really putting me off to be honest. I expect a lot of eEVEes switching over and make the game a tad bit inhospitable but -shrug-.

When it does come out I will take a look at it and see if I put my money in. Til then I have MWO to look forward to, too bad that being reasonable when it comes to fandoms is not a particularly common thing.

I have to admit, I have an intense hatred for League.

#1211 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:00 PM

This thread is neither the place to discuss MWO or PGI, nor is it a place to attack other players.

All this thread should be about, is Star Citizen!

Edited by Egomane, 20 November 2014 - 01:00 PM.

#1212 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostTichorius Davion, on 20 November 2014 - 12:55 PM, said:

As much negativity i have about Star Citizen I still want it to succeed but the community that has rallied behind it is really putting me off to be honest. I expect a lot of eEVEes switching over and make the game a tad bit inhospitable but -shrug-.

When it does come out I will take a look at it and see if I put my money in. Til then I have MWO to look forward to, too bad that being reasonable when it comes to fandoms is not a particularly common thing.

It's so weird to see people take video games as a zero sum game. The Star Citizen vs E:D fights are just mind boggling. I think all this kick-starter and crowd funding stuff is going to take a serious hit, because you have to promise things without knowing if they are even possible. Every single crowd funded game is ending up the same; a vocal minority dictating the discussions on the game. MWO LIED, PEOPLE DIED! DRABEN LIED, PEOPLE DIED! And soon, ROBERTS LIED, PEOPLE DIED!

Star Citizen is going to see orders of magnitude more angst than MWO had to deal with. The Legendary Founder upset about 3PV (as if THAT was even an issue) is going to be a drop in the bucket compared to the Grand Admiral who finds out his Idris gets griefed by a single M50 through "creative gameplay" and has to wait 2 weeks for a replacement.

Edited by Heffay, 20 November 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#1213 CompproB237

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:34 PM

View PostHeffay, on 20 November 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

It's so weird to see people take video games as a zero sum game. The Star Citizen vs E:D fights are just mind boggling. I think all this kick-starter and crowd funding stuff is going to take a serious hit, because you have to promise things without knowing if they are even possible. Every single crowd funded game is ending up the same; a vocal minority dictating the discussions on the game. MWO LIED, PEOPLE DIED! DRABEN LIED, PEOPLE DIED! And soon, ROBERTS LIED, PEOPLE DIED!

Star Citizen is going to see orders of magnitude more angst than MWO had to deal with. The Legendary Founder upset about 3PV (as if THAT was even an issue) is going to be a drop in the bucket compared to the Grand Admiral who finds out his Idris gets griefed by a single M50 through "creative gameplay" and has to wait 2 weeks for a replacement.

That's why you don't make promises you can't keep. Pretty simple.

#1214 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:35 PM

Heffay, what I said goes for you as well! Please stop the discussion about MWO and PGI!

No such incident has yet happened over at Star Citizen and while it might be possibel that it happens in the future it is a point of discussion for when that time comes and not now.

#1215 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:38 PM

View PostCompproB237, on 20 November 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

That's why you don't make promises you can't keep. Pretty simple.

"The Arena Module will be released by end of 2013 no matter what."

View PostEgomane, on 20 November 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

Heffay, what I said goes for you as well! Please stop the discussion about MWO and PGI!

No such incident has yet happened over at Star Citizen and while it might be possibel that it happens in the future it is a point of discussion for when that time comes and not now.

But... I am discussing Star Citizen. Comparing and contrasting is still legitimate, right?

#1216 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

Yes, but please try to not make it a black and white contrast. I do not want this thread to look the same as the MWO thread over at the Star Citizen forums, with back and forth bickering instead of a discussion of the actual game.

#1217 CompproB237

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostHeffay, on 20 November 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

Found the article you're referencing. Anyway, what we ended up with was a 3 month delay into the beginning of 2014. It was still released within 60 to 90 days.

Now it's got the multiplayer that was promised, more ships added constantly, and more features. They've added HUD features, revamped the control systems multiple times, changed weapon systems multiple times, fixed a lot of bugs, held back updates that would have caused problems instead of releasing them and then hot-fixing them out. It's been great to see the vision come together.

Edit: It has single-player VS AI (granted the AI isn't very challenging), Co-Op vs AI, Racing, free private matches, there's a leader board that actually allows you to see how good you are versus other players. They've gotten Organizations up and running... I really see a lot of progress in the game and at a pretty fast rate.

Edited by CompproB237, 20 November 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#1218 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:55 PM

SC is shaping up to be a very deep game. They're going in some interesting directions. Most of hte complaints I see on the SC forums are made from a sense of entitlement regarding things like LTI and equate to "I want it too!" or "I bought it early, you shouldn't be allowed to have it" like it somehow impacts their individual game simply because someone else has the ability to get something like LTI as well or that late comers should get the same amount of stuff that early backers got.

MWO runs into similar arguments with things like "I should be able to buy that pack now because I didnt' get here in time". and similar things.

SC has some very deep options in the game and it will be interesting to see how they implement those. Character death is one of the more interesting things I personally want to test out. From the sounds of it they're gong to run it similarly to how SWTOR does their legacy aspect.

#1219 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:57 PM

View PostCompproB237, on 20 November 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

Found the article you're referencing. Anyway, what we ended up with was a 3 month delay into the beginning of 2014. It was still released within 60 to 90 days.

Now it's got the multiplayer that was promised, more ships added constantly, and more features. They've added HUD features, revamped the control systems multiple times, changed weapon systems multiple times, fixed a lot of bugs, held back updates that would have caused problems instead of releasing them and then hot-fixing them out. It's been great to see the vision come together.

3 months? It wasn't released until May. And then in limited people, and single player only. And it wasn't available to everyone until...what? July? Multiplayer in August?

That's how the joke goes. Arena Commander will be released end of 2013 no matter what first quarter April At PAX 2 weeks after PAX Soon™.

I can't wait for the game to be ready, but it's going to be years before the PU is ready. And SQ42 probably won't be ready in 2015 either. Fortunately there are other games to enjoy while I wait for SC. I'm sure it'll be fantastic when it's done, but right now it pales in comparison to MWO.

Edited by Heffay, 20 November 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#1220 CompproB237

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostHeffay, on 20 November 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

3 months? It wasn't released until May. And then in limited people, and single player only. And it wasn't available to everyone until...what? July? Multiplayer in August?

That's how the joke goes. Arena Commander will be released end of 2013 no matter what first quarter April At PAX 2 weeks after PAX Soon™.

I can't wait for the game to be ready, but it's going to be years before the PU is ready. And SQ42 probably won't be ready in 2015 either. Fortunately there are other games to enjoy while I wait for SC. I'm sure it'll be fantastic when it's done, but right now it pales in comparison to MWO.

It's out now, with multiplayer, and arguably more features and game modes than MWO. Well, assuming we're going to persist in comparing MWO to SC.

If I'm not going to persist in the comparison (feel free to edit my post to what I say after the Colon):
Well, at least it's out now and has the features promised and then some. I've had a lot of fun already just playing with my friends in private matches and managing my organization. Online battle royale, capture the core, and racing are all great. The HSR is even pretty spot on perfect.

Edited by CompproB237, 20 November 2014 - 02:18 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users