Artillery Smoke Screen Drop.

8 replies to this topic

Poll: artillery smoke drop. (13 member(s) have cast votes)

smoke drop by arty?

1. YES! (10 votes [76.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.92%

2. No! (3 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

3. maybe.... (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Yes but with modifacations. (plz post in topic) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:47 PM

atm on alot of maps it can be really hard for a brawler to close, especially in situations where theres large numbers of longrange mechs all parked together in a blob, arty strikes are one answer but they merely need to step apart and regather aferwards.

So i suggest an arty drop that leaves a smoke cloud, that can't be seen through with nightvision and lowers visual range to say.. 90 to 150 meters inside it, and also gives the effects of ecm inside of the cloud.(both negative and posative effects for both sides, ie neither can lock for missiles, or be locked, or be seen on map.)

I feel something like this could somewhat revive brawling tactics, and allow shortrange mechs to have a practical chance of closing on more open maps.

It'd be nice as it would be capable of changing the situation tactically, good for closing or escaping, or merely off a portion of the enemy force from the battle.

Edited by zortesh, 07 May 2014 - 01:53 AM.

#2 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:29 AM

I like this idea.
Although some things could be different here and there, at its core I think it'a a good idea.
A cloud originated by the explosions that lasts at least 30 seconds sounds really good.

Good idea man, hope people get together to discuss the details around the idea and make a good solid suggestion to PGI.

But don't forget about the users who play at low settings, they can't see the JJ's smoke so they wouldn't probably see that cloud either (I really don't know, just letting you think about this option).

#3 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:10 AM

I didnt actully know jumpjets made smoke, but we can all see the smoke in the caldera on cuastic, so i assume something like that would work.

Thou possible preformance issues are a big problem.

The way i see it working is sortof like this.

A bunch of pellets rain down, pour out smoke for a few seconds and then from a large cloud of smog/fog like on frozen city during a blizzard, only heatvision/nightvision can't break through it, this covers say a 200 meter round area, and slowly dissipates over say the next 30-40 seconds.

Just enough time to rush to the next section of cover or make a clean break away.

I just have the very rough idea thou, and im open to suggestions/improvments.

You could even have air dropped version that did a line instead of a circle.

#4 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

Quoted myself from a similar thread just a minute or two ago...

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 07 May 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

Graphics cards have difficulty rendering smoke, and have for years. It's worse than normal for this unoptimized game. Performance dips from acceptable to slide show on a lot of systems, just with the smoke that's already in the game.

Highly exploitable. Therefore, it's a big no-no.

#5 Bashfulsalamander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Locationnot looking at forums

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:13 AM

I voted No, but I do understand why you might want this. Firstly thermal vision would make it useless, unless used at more then 600 meters. Maybe adding a CHAFF arty round would be plausible, but it should effect both team and enemy. Once again though Thermals would see through it, but at least missiles could not lock on. Secondly even if it did block thermals and lock on you would not be able to see through it either, making it only good for moving short distances. Lastly most People spread out in this game at least enough not to be wiped out by 1 arty strike or surrounded easily, so even if you blind spotter one another person could still spot you making it almost pointless.

#6 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

^ Nothing say thermal vision has to see through the smoke, these would afterall be specalzied smoke rounds expressly for blinding mechs.

It would depend, i can see a 200 meter smokescreen allowing you to cross from cover to cover in alot of places, expecailly in a map like tourmaline, without gettiung wtf instagibbed by multiple gual guass enimies.

certianly it would kmake breaking from a pinned position much easyier.

Edited by zortesh, 09 May 2014 - 02:27 PM.

#7 Bashfulsalamander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:43 PM

View Postzortesh, on 09 May 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

^ Nothing say thermal vision has to see through the smoke, these would afterall be specalzied smoke rounds expressly for blinding mechs.

It would depend, i can see a 200 meter smokescreen allowing you to cross from cover to cover in alot of places, expecailly in a map like tourmaline, without gettiung wtf instagibbed by multiple gual guass enimies.

certianly it would kmake breaking from a pinned position much easyier.

A 200meter smoke screen that blinds the enemy of Thermal and Lock on capabilities. So what your saying is that if I shoot a smoke round AT or between the enemy it creates a smokescreen that covers 200 meters, which would block LOS and Lock. Or I could us the smoke screen on myself to go 200 meters in any direction unnoticed? Well if that happens then I guess my team cant see the enemy when I shoot the smoke screen at the enemy. If I shoot it between us again I could be ****** my team over if they are shooting near me, but not getting hit. and if I use it on myself nobody can see anything within that 200 meter smoke bubble enemy or team. on a side note if you make it something like airstrike then you have to be looking in the direction you want the smoke to go, but it would not be able to get rid on lock on unless you were in that small stream. You could make the stream expand as time goes on like a smoke grenade does, but a smart person would just light it up with lazers and ballistics especially if you were within 200 meters. Well at least it would be effective against Guass builds, but PPC and all lazer builds don't have ammo so they would just take pop-shots. Hell within 200 meters I could use a TAG or some lazer just to find out when you are running through then time the guass shot, who knows I might get lucky.

#8 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

Im talking artillery dropped smoke round not a single smoke ac round, and taking the odd bit of blind fire into the smoke cloud is much preferable to pinpoint damage.

Even having people fire blindly at the red squares would give the person who used it greater chance of survival, it wouldnt be terribly powerful or foolproof, but would still be useful in changing a tactial situation.

Dump it on there lrm boats, and then charge there line before they can break free from the smokecloud, heck it could make charging over the lip of the dropship on frozen city practical, you could even bluff with it, throw one down somewhere and let the enemy stare, or throw shots into it while you manuvre in a completely different location.

On teammates misusing it and screwing over there own team, well teammates can misuse arty or airstrikes or every single weapon in the game to do the same thing.....

#9 Bashfulsalamander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:16 AM

This game does not even have an arty system to it, they would have to implement a new system, which they would then use on the actual arty and air strikes making them also a lot more effective if not OP. Secondly there is plenty of cover on frozen city, so it is not hard to do a bounding over watch, or suppress then move. If you are talking about blinding LRM......REALLY? I guess ECM and AMS are not good enough for you. Even Alpine peak would have been a better example due to it being a mountain assault with little to no cover besides giant hills/ mountains. The problem with that example is though the hill and mountains already give plenty concealment and cover. Thirdly you think its better that it shows a red box? I can judge where your torso is, so it wont be anything like a blind shot it will be like river city at night shooting targets at 600+ meters while NVG is turned on. Lastly you want to dump a smoke screen on a LRM boat....... it only has rockets, so if it still maintains a lock what's the point? Besides that you cant see the enemy either, who of which already had fire superiority and are probably working as a team sticking close together behind cover from your last known position waiting for your red box of death to show or watching seismic sensor. That all said lets not count the scouts already tagging you and spotting you showing your position to their friendly forces. Sorry but smoke unless it has CHAFF inside of it and is used like arty drop is 100% useless in this game. Even then it would stil suck because you don't have a perfect LOS on them. Oh and team misusing arty, airstrikes and every other weapon? I have not seen that once are you sure its just not you?

Edited by Bashfulsalamander, 10 May 2014 - 02:17 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users