Rookie

• 6 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBoardwalk, Capellan Confederation

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:09 AM

So, I have managed to download the installer, but when the patch reaches 100%, it simply freezes and does nothing, allowing me not to enter the game or do anything except stare at a bunch of stupid youtube videos and threads that people are posting.
Yes, I have all the necessary system requirements, so do not bother asking me about that. And yes, I have also spent the last two hours restarting my computer in hopes of making it work. Why not just make MWO a browser-based game, like everything else? It would be so much freaking easier than what it is now.

#2 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:14 AM

Did you run the installer under Administrator privileges?

#3 ConRein

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

View Postp4r4g0n, on 08 May 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:

Did you run the installer under Administrator privileges?

How would I go about doing that? (An obvious question, seeing as I know little about computers save the basics)

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:23 AM

View PostConRein, on 08 May 2014 - 07:09 AM, said:

Why not just make MWO a browser-based game, like everything else? It would be so much freaking easier than what it is now.

The game is extremely resource intensive and uses a high end graphics engine to put 'true to size' mechs in fields between 2,000 and 10,000 meters long. A completely non-resource intensive game of a similar nature crashes every five minutes due to browser memory overload, and doesn't even require a fraction of the requirements on here. You'd be even more miserable and the game would be a flop as a browser-based game.

If you have not run it in administrator mode, you probably should as it cannot install the patch without it.

Most antivirus programs scan an install before it allows it to occur. MWO has a problem with three common antivirus programs but I can't recall which they are. You could temporarily disable it for 10 minutes when the patcher nears 100%?

View PostConRein, on 08 May 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

How would I go about doing that? (An obvious question, seeing as I know little about computers save the basics)

In theory it should ask you when it first goes to run. A pop up says "Run in administrator mode?" If it does not do that on its own, right click the program you use to start the patcher, choose "Run as Administrator."

If you do not have access to do that on your own, you may need to ask someone who has that permission (as an obvious thing, you should not be installing it onto a work or classroom computer).

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

Also note that the patcher requires a lengthy "Finalizing" stage. First it has to download until it reaches 100%, then it must apply the patch and finalize. This can take longer than you might expect.

Admin privs can be required since the patcher needs to have permission to add/remove files as well as add entries to the registry- nearly every large game these days will require priviledges either to run the game or at least to run their patcher (even Steam must be granted privs)

#6 ConRein

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

Thanks to all who replied, but it just does not work. I even tried running as administrator, but all it gave me was an option to uninstall the program.
I am going to give up on this game and stick with the books. I think.

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

It probably needs to be uninstalled, run a registry cleaner, and installed again with admi privs right from the start. The installation was likely never completed correctly at all and it would need to be repaired or reinstalled.

THe MWO repair tool is located here http://mwomercs.com/...public-release/

#8 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

I recommend trying out the repair tool.

It would kinda suck if you gave up on the game because of a simple installer error.

#9 Marvyn Dodgers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

And here is the repair tool

http://mwomercs.com/...public-release/

Good luck with resolution

#10 ConRein

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:44 PM

Thank you kindly, all, each of your advice worked and the game is olayable, if not a little bit difficult to understand how to drive them. I guess I will be in the tutorial maps for a few days.

#11 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:56 PM

The community created guides should help you along. MWO has a pretty steep learning curve, so you can expect to blow up a lot early on.

#12 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:00 AM

View PostConRein, on 08 May 2014 - 10:44 PM, said:

Thank you kindly, all, each of your advice worked and the game is olayable, if not a little bit difficult to understand how to drive them. I guess I will be in the tutorial maps for a few days.

Very glad you got your game installed!

Welcome aboard. MWO has a fairly steep learning curve so I absolutely recommend that you 1) ask a lot of questions (you can also browse the help forum for common topics) and 2) don't be discouraged by the rough start.

Stick to your team, don't try to be a hero. Be cautious and support your teammates. Look to collect assists instead of risking yourself to try and get kills.

#13 ConRein

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:04 AM

View PostModo44, on 08 May 2014 - 10:56 PM, said:

The community created guides should help you along. MWO has a pretty steep learning curve, so you can expect to blow up a lot early on.

Cheers, I will check it out now; I found out through first-hand experience that you can get your 'mechshot out from under you in less than 30 seconds, it gives the game a certain amount of realism, except of course that my poor Centurion suffers greatly.

#14 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostConRein, on 09 May 2014 - 02:04 AM, said:

except of course that my poor Centurion suffers greatly.

Hmm I can help (some) with Centurion training.
They can die real easy - but they can also take a beating on par with most assault mechs. :D

#15 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

View PostConRein, on 09 May 2014 - 02:04 AM, said:

Cheers, I will check it out now; I found out through first-hand experience that you can get your 'mechshot out from under you in less than 30 seconds, it gives the game a certain amount of realism, except of course that my poor Centurion suffers greatly.

The Centurion is the only mech I know where I can look at my status, read "40%" and still think "hmm, all systems operational, and I'm in good condition" They're not as tanky as they used to be, So they can't tank more than Atlases, but they can last a looooong time in a fight.

#16 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:05 PM

the only mech out there that takes more LRMs to kill than an atlas is the Centurions. they are still dangerous with both arms missing, both side torsos and having only one leg and reading around 10% health.

The worst part, they nerfed them and they are still tanking but just not as much as before, thank god.

#17 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 09 May 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

the only mech out there that takes more LRMs to kill than an atlas is the Centurions. they are still dangerous with both arms missing, both side torsos and having only one leg and reading around 10% health.

The worst part, they nerfed them and they are still tanking but just not as much as before, thank god.

I personally want them to go back to how they used to tank. Their firepower is decent/mediocre, but their ability to keep on fighting was what really distinguished them.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users