Windows 7 Uac Prompt Solution

26 replies to this topic

#1 Kylere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Okay, I HATE clicking okay everytime, I know it is petty, but I work in IT and have better things to do with my time, like, you know, PLAYING.

You can turn of the User Access Control, That would work for me, but not something I recommend for everyone.
- http://windows.micro...ntrol-on-or-off

You can kill that specific policy in secpol to stop that particular part of UAC, but that is like cutting your dogs throat to stop him from barking.
- http://answers.micro...48-f395bf1c519d

[redacted]

Note from staff:
Please note that this is a Windows OS level change that completely at the user's risk.
We've removed the third solution as we cannot support third party scripts that can potentially harm a computer system.

Edited by miSs, 21 May 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#2 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

I would recommend turning it off before recommending downloading a 3rd party app that messes with what is essentially a security aspect of your computer. You have granted a 3rd party control the permission to interfere with UAC without knowing what else it might have in it. This is effectively WORSE than disabling UAC, at least then you know you are not protected and not assuming you are while installing a potential malware.

#3 Kylere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Mercules, you are entitled to your own opinion. I know what else it has in it, before I recommended it to anyone I checked it out deeply. It does not alter UAC and offers an alternative to turning it off completely which is only for professionals and fools.

#4 Aesaar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

View PostKylere, on 30 November 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

...turning it off completely which is only for professionals and fools.
Wat.

Seriously, in what world is this true? UAC is only for people who have no idea what an antivirus is.

#5 SmilingBandit440

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

I'd still have to give my password for my admin account. Always run least privilage. :)

#6 Gregore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

I thought this thread was about the UAC 5, I was really confused for much of it.

#7 Snib

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostAesaar, on 01 December 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

Wat.

Seriously, in what world is this true? UAC is only for people who have no idea what an antivirus is.

It's the other way around but don't think too hard on it.

#8 HTTP Error 400

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

View PostAesaar, on 01 December 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

Wat.

Ahh, yes. I take it that in your world you have a single antivirus application that detects all known and unknown vulnerabilities and exploits. Please could you let me know where to get this, as I know some governments that would like to use it on the systems.

#9 Snib

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

Since this was bumped again, the better solution is to start MWOClient.exe directly with the -nopatch option. Find it in your MechWarrior Online\Bin32 folder and create a shortcut to it (right click -> create shortcut or right click drag -> create shortcut here). Then right click the shortcut -> properties and add -nopatch behind what's in the Target field. In my case:

"E:\MechWarrior Online\Bin32\MWOClient.exe" -nopatch

That bypasses the patcher and any UAC prompts. Run your old shortcut with the UAC prompt for when there's a patch (if you forget that the client will tell you it's out of date, so don't worry).

Edited by Snib, 21 December 2012 - 05:40 AM.

#10 MrLiNcH

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Thank you Snib!!! So much better!

#11 elde

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:43 AM

Weird, my client still wants a confirmation from Windows UAC. Perhaps it's been changed since the 8th January 2013 patch?

#12 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

thx snib, works like a charm.

#13 odd bird

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

The -nopatch solution doesn't work for me (maybe because I'm running Windows 8?). But actually I don't get why the game does need administrator privileges to run at all since I installed it in an alternative directory. And I really hate that because it keeps me from using some of the functionality of my mouse (my standard user account has no administrator privileges).

#14 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

I thought this post was about Ultra Auto Cannon. :)

#15 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

View Postodd bird, on 24 January 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

The -nopatch solution doesn't work for me (maybe because I'm running Windows 8?). But actually I don't get why the game does need administrator privileges to run at all since I installed it in an alternative directory. And I really hate that because it keeps me from using some of the functionality of my mouse (my standard user account has no administrator privileges).

It is possible that the request for AdminPrivileges is now embedded in the executable. That would be the correct approach normally, since it is expected you do indeed store the game in the Program Files directory ,and if they didn't do this, by default the system would fail.

It could be there is still an executable in the installation folder that launches the game itself but doesn't require admin privileges. I haven't checked this out so far.

#16 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:28 AM

the -nopatch still works fine here. If it still whines for admin rights try to go to properties and see if it's got the box ticked.

#17 odd bird

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Nothing in the properties of the shortcut or of MechWarriorOnline.exe in the game directory that explains why it doesn't work for me. But like I said before, I'm running Windows 8, maybe that's why.

When I was playing Knights of the Old Republic I used some developer's tools from Microsoft to make the patcher think it had admin privileges while it didn't - but I haven't been able to do the same with MWO under Windows 8. (I was following instructions, otherwise that would have been beyond my horizon).

#18 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

View Postodd bird, on 24 January 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

Nothing in the properties of the shortcut or of MechWarriorOnline.exe in the game directory that explains why it doesn't work for me. But like I said before, I'm running Windows 8, maybe that's why.

When I was playing Knights of the Old Republic I used some developer's tools from Microsoft to make the patcher think it had admin privileges while it didn't - but I haven't been able to do the same with MWO under Windows 8. (I was following instructions, otherwise that would have been beyond my horizon).

Hmm. There is one way that Microsoft suggests software developers to handle UAC or AdminPrivilege, which can be accomplished via two approaches.
Key to it is a manifest file. This gives various information about the program, and one of them can state whether it needs elevated privileges or not. THe file can be deployed side-by-side (that meanst here is a .manifest file ro something like that in the same directory as the executable, with the executable name), or it is embedded directly into the executable.

You could see the manifest file if it was deployed side-by-side, but the usual way would be to embed it in the executable, and you cannot see this via the properties dialog or similar tools. You'd need something that would look inside the eecutable and tell you what is embedded.

#19 odd bird

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 24 January 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

Hmm. There is one way that Microsoft suggests software developers to handle UAC or AdminPrivilege, which can be accomplished via two approaches.
Key to it is a manifest file. This gives various information about the program, and one of them can state whether it needs elevated privileges or not. THe file can be deployed side-by-side (that meanst here is a .manifest file ro something like that in the same directory as the executable, with the executable name), or it is embedded directly into the executable.

You could see the manifest file if it was deployed side-by-side, but the usual way would be to embed it in the executable, and you cannot see this via the properties dialog or similar tools. You'd need something that would look inside the eecutable and tell you what is embedded.

Yes, like that. I was using the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.6, but that doesn't work with Windows 8 either. (With Windows 7 it worked like a charm, though.)

Edited by odd bird, 25 January 2013 - 01:04 AM.

#20 MountainCopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationUU, Ankh-Morpork

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:28 AM

This solution thread to the UAC notifications under Win7 should be "pinned" along with other possible program switches.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users