Artillery Strike Rework:

8 replies to this topic

Poll: Options: (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick an option-

1. No change: (It's fine) (6 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Option A: (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

3. Option B: (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Option C: (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

Problem: Artillery Strikes hit in rapid succession. (I don't see the damage as a problem, it's supposed to hit hard.)

Proposed solutions
A: (The easy-to-change route) Keep the consumable; Up the Global Cool-down to a minimum of 1 minute.
B: (The harder but, IMO, better route.) Ditch the consumable, make it a property belonging to the Command Console (that 3-ton paperweight)
30% Harder hit- larger splash range, higher damage.
Deploy-able from the battlemap, with a 13 second delay.
Audio/Visual warning of incoming 10 seconds before impact. (not location, just that it's happening)
Startup Cool-down of 1 minute.
Global Cool-down of 45 seconds
Team Cool-down of 2 minutes
Personal Cool-down of 5 minutes.
C: Other- If you have a (realistic- gamewise) suggestion: Please post below.

#2 Dan Nashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 606 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

A. make it require command console. No other changes.
Air strike too.
Yes, they are that good. I have no trouble doing 100 damage with one.

B. replace the consumable with a 6 million cbill module that refills itself.
It's dumb that having more in game currency (often through premium time) or lack of interest in new content (mechs) results in a serious. Significant advantage in game play.
This will also mean the balance telemetry will reflect how good it is. The only reason there aren't 24 strikes in every match is the economic balancing. Even poptart a were never that popular. 12 mans still brought lights!

C. double the duration, double the total number of shells, halve the damage per shell. Make it a battlefield control weapon, not just the free damage it is now. Breaking up groups is something it does, but right now it is really just a direct fire weapon with benefits that costs no tonnage.

Alternative to C for variety:
Arty: barrage: as per c above.
air: twice as many shells, half damage per shell, double AREA (NOT radius). Same duration as current.
So instead of being 40 by 20 (or whatever) it would be 50 by 32. (800 v 1600 square units).

#3 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

On using the Command Console, my concern is that it is rare in-universe and technically only mountable on Heavies and Assaults, but a longer global cooldown should definitely work for strikes.

Also, I was looking at BT weapons the other day regarding a different topic and got to thinking about how Artillery Strikes would be delivered as we see in MWO.

The most damage a single Artillery shell can do is 25 damage from a Long Tom, so I would have that be the max damage from a single shell and increase the number of shells fired and possibly provide more tiers and so on.

Current MWO Strikes fire six shells at 40 damage (240 damage total) then 10 shells (400 damage) when upgraded. So having different Artillery pieces firing different strikes, there could be more variety for strikes with the greater damage having a wider area of effect and different projectile velocities based on what's best for how they feel. For example:
  • Long Tom Strike -
    • Level 1: 05 shells - 25 damage each - 125 damage total
    • Level 2: 10 shells - 25 damage each - 250 damage total
  • Sniper Strike -
    • Level 1: 10 shells - 20 damage each - 200 damage total
    • Level 2: 20 shells - 20 damage each - 400 damage total
  • Thumper Strike -
    • Level 1: 20 shells - 15 damage each - 300 damage total
    • Level 2: 40 shells - 15 damage each - 600 damage total
  • Arrow IV Strike -
    • Level 1: 05 missiles - 20 damage each - 100 damage total
    • Level 2: 10 missiles - 20 damage each - 200 damage total
  • Carpet Bomb Strike -
I guess some can remain as LOS, or have some available through the BattleMap.

#4 Bashfulsalamander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Locationnot looking at forums

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:08 AM

how many of you have been hit by arty? it does damage to the head quite well, which at most has 18 points of armor. You want to make it stronger though? I can understand wanting to use it through the battle map, which would be a lot more realistic, but it would be greatly OP even if they kept it how it is now with reaction times. Now that said if they gave the player an audio and mini map warning that would help especially if the red smoke is behind the player. This would also work for air strikes being able to co-ordinate the direction of the impact area. once again I like it, I understand it, but it is a game and some things are better off not being realistic.

Edited by Bashfulsalamander, 10 May 2014 - 03:09 AM.

#5 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:16 AM

I made a thread about my own idea on how to fix artillery strikes, but that's because I mostly think they're not balanced for different reasons.

#6 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:43 AM

View PostDanNashe, on 09 May 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

A. make it require command console. No other changes.
Air strike too.
Yes, they are that good. I have no trouble doing 100 damage with one.

I think that is worth 1 Crit & 3 Tons.

#7 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:35 PM

TAG should be required.

Make it it's own Equipment Slot like AMS and ECM, and then cut the range down back to 450 M. Could then choose what mechs can take TAG or have available to all.

Here's a snip of why I think this type of tweak could work in MWO and is lore-friendly.

Spoiler

#8 Adamski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:25 AM

I like the idea of increasing the delay. Also, maybe increase the number of smoke markers to 5, arranged in a pentagram at the outside of the target area so people have an easier time seeing where it will drop and get out.

#9 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

Strikes are the second greatest fun-killer in the game currently, after ECM. Right now I'd favor removing them entirely, though the Command Console option is a good one - three tons and then you're allowed to mount the consumable module.

I also like the suggestion to bring the arty strikes into line with the lore artillery, though the number of tubes is too high. The average battery varies from four to six tubes, and really the same battery is probably supporting your entire company. Each strike you've purchased is another fire mission from that battery.

Of course, I also think you should have a counter-battery module that represents your artillery silencing the enemy artillery, cutting or removing the power of their strikes (or just greatly increasing cool-down).

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users