When Is Hit Detection Going Server Side?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Jolly Llama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 457 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

Does anybody have a hard date that hit detection is going server side? I mean, the game scoring hits should be pretty important. We are shooting each other.

#2 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:52 PM

If I had to guess, I'd probably say some time between never and lolno.

#3 AntharPrime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

They built it from the ground up with server side hit detection. That's why none of the aimbot hacks work in MWO.

#4 SolCrusher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

View PostAntharPrime, on 11 May 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

They built it from the ground up with server side hit detection. That's why none of the aimbot hacks work in MWO.

You my friend you are wrong, there are Aimbots for MWO. I won't elaborate on the subject just know they exist.

Edited by SolCrusher, 11 May 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#5 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

View PostSolCrusher, on 11 May 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

You my friend you are wrong, there are Aimbots for MWO. I won't elaborate on the subject just know they exist.

Are they not very poor?

#6 AntharPrime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

Oh there are aimbots, they just don't work. Hit and damage calculations are done server side, there is some stuff that is done client side but everything is verified server side. That is why you see tiny lag sometimes at the end of a match where your team is firing on the last enemy mech. Sometimes you are not the last one to hit the mech but you end up getting the credit for the kill because the server checked and calculated who exactly did what in which order.

Edited by AntharPrime, 11 May 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#7 SolCrusher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:43 PM

Radar not dependent on distances, AA for lasers which snap you directly to an exposed mech part any part and combine that with AC5/AC10 or Gauss and you have effective killing machines. Especially when they are ran in a 4 man with everyone using the tool. I've seen it done and you can tell when you're spectating what's going on. I've spectated a suspected hacker, and been slaughtered by them. Laser fire for a split second followed by Dual Gauss blasts. I've seen a 4 man walk into the water on Forest colony and roll an entire team. What is usually easy pickings turned into a blood bath and a match that lasted less than 2 minutes. With their lance getting all kills on the battle report. People dying before they were hardly exposed.

#8 Grimmrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

View PostAntharPrime, on 11 May 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

Oh there are aimbots, they just don't work. Hit and damage calculations are done server side, there is some stuff that is done client side but everything is verified server side. That is why you see tiny lag sometimes at the end of a match where your team is firing on the last enemy mech. Sometimes you are not the last one to hit the mech but you end up getting the credit for the kill because the server checked and calculated who exactly did what in which order.

?

what a aimbot simply knows where your opponent is, not server sided, but where your client puts the model of your opponent.. and this is where the aimbot will aim at. simple as that. Serversided calculated damage just prevents health and damage hacks which is a good step to prevent the worst hacks from happening.

#9 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

View Postgeodeath, on 11 May 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

Does anybody have a hard date that hit detection is going server side? I mean, the game scoring hits should be pretty important. We are shooting each other.

Umm...server side hit detection is already implemented, and has been in the game since day 1. Where are you getting the (incorrect) information on which you base this question?

#10 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

Nawp

#11 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostSolCrusher, on 11 May 2014 - 03:43 PM, said:

I've seen a 4 man walk into the water on Forest colony and roll an entire team. What is usually easy pickings turned into a blood bath and a match that lasted less than 2 minutes. With their lance getting all kills on the battle report. People dying before they were hardly exposed.

You realize that in many cases, the water is the strongest position you can hold in Forest Colony?
Lots of folks don't really understand that for some reason.. partly because in early beta there was no boat there for cover, but mostly because folks don't really understand firing lines.

#12 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

View Postgeodeath, on 11 May 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

Imagine if this was like MPBT 3025 and 100% of your shots did 100% of their damage exactly where you aimed...

#13 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

Hit detection is server side, and has always been server side.

However, Host State Rewind does try to reconcile client viewpoint with server authoritative hit detection, and while it drastically improves gameplay from the point of view of the firer, it makes things a good bit worse for the one being shot (especially lights who get one-shot through cover because the other guy had a lag spike and saw you linger in the open and the server decided to agree with him). All told it's better to have HSR than not (by a huge margin), but it certainly can be frustrating when it screws you over.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users