Idea For Pilots And Role Warfare

6 replies to this topic

#1 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

Every other mechwarrior game has pilots. So why not MWO? Anyway heres my idea to add pilots to MWO as well as implement role warfare at the same time. From an immersion standpoint its silly for one pilot to own 50+ different mechs, so its reasonable to believe each of our mechs has a different pilot.

Pilots would be purchased just like any other item and would be equipped in the cockpit slot of a mech. Mechs with command consoles could have two pilots. Players could own any number of pilots and pilots could be swapped out of mechs anytime between games. All mechs would require a pilot to launch into a game. Just like how mechs require an engine. If you dont have a pilot it wont let you launch the game.

Pilots would have hitpoints. Pilots would take damage from headshots, ammo explosions, overheating with a damaged life support system, etc.. If a pilots health is reduced to 0 he dies and that pilot is deleted from your inventory permanently (have to buy a new pilot). Pilot death should be a fairly uncommon occurrence. There should also be a way to eject to ensure your pilot doesnt die (an eject sequence is something players have been asking for since closed beta). In the event a pilot does die or eject your mech would effectively be destroyed.

There would be 6 different pilot classes (command, support, assault, strike, recon, and pursuit).

Command- artillery/airstrike, satillite uplink, uav/drones, commanding friendly mechs
Support- indirect damage, utility, sniping
Assault- tanking, sieging, leading the charge
Strike- direct damage, brawling, flanking
Recon- sensors, stealth, detection, spotting
Pursuit- speed, harassment, hit-and-run, evasion, capturing

Each pilot class would have its own unique skill tree and access to its own class modules. The skill tree would contain passive/active skills related to that class. As pilots rank up their mech would gain class module slots that can be used to install modules specific to that pilot's class. Since pilots can be swapped freely in between matches, changing a mech's role would be as easy as changing its pilot. Also as I mentioned earlier, the command console would let you have two pilots. Obviously this would have to be balanced somehow by limiting what skills/modules you gain from the second pilot. But the command console would now have a use.

Players would spend GXP to level up their pilots, so the whole pilot idea is monetized by GXP and PGI stands to profit from it, especially since pilots can die. There would be 20 levels divided into 4 ranks (green, regular, veteran, elite). Each level would give you 1 skill point to spend in the pilot's skill tree. Additionally, every time you max out a rank (i.e. every 5 levels) you would gain an additional "class" module slot for your mech. For a maximum of +4 class modules at level 20.

Mechs would also have "affinities" with certain types of pilots. For example, an Atlas would have an affinity with command pilots and a Catapult would have affinity with support pilots. When a mech equips a pilot it has affinity with it would gain a unique power (like Catapults might gain the ability to hotload LRMs and fire LRMs without a minimum range at risk of the LRM Launcher exploding if it gets critted).

Overall this would be fairly easily to implement in the current framework of the game. The hardest part is the creation of skill trees and class modules for each of the pilot classes. But it will add some much needed variation to the game. The addition of affinities would also help differentiate mechs a lot more by giving them unique bonuses when used in their canon roles.

Thats about it...

Edited by Khobai, 10 May 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#2 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

In previous games you hired NPC pilots for allies I thought in MechWarrior it's suppose to be where YOU are the pilot?

That said, I would like to see a more robust skill system which allows you to specialize in certain skills rather than buy a bunch of the same 'Mech and level up the same skills for each of them to master the one variant you are actually going to use.

#3 Chihuahuablend

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:13 PM

I am against pretty much everything you've said for pilots. But, not against classes.

Classes could/should be a module. Gives you bonsus, obviously. Once you get XP, you can level up that module, you get more bonuses. Limited to one class module equipped per mech.

#4 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

What if you had to choose a new persona when starting a character in a faction?

You play a "command"-character for Davion.
When you have maxed the Davion-loyalty, you start leveling a "support"-character for Marik.
When playing for Clan Ghost Bear, you use an "assault"-character.
When playing for Clan Wolf, you use a "strike"-character.

Maybe you find out that playing a "strike"-persona in Clan Wolf isn't your thing. Then you reset your Wolf-character, loosing all Wolf-bonuses, and start it anew as a "pursuit"-persona for example.

#5 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

I thought in MechWarrior it's suppose to be where YOU are the pilot?

You are still the pilot. You would just be able to play as different personas to get different class abilities. It seriously breaks immersion to have one pilot to own dozens of mechs so it makes more sense to have multiple pilots in your employ. And then the player just assumes the role of those pilots.

As far as immersion is concerned, changing personas makes more sense than your pilot forgetting an old skill set and learning an entirely new one. Having different pilots makes respecing much more immersive and intuitive. It also adds an element of risk with your pilot(s) dying, which was always a constant threat in the other mechwarrior games; your pilots/lancemates could die in most of the other mechwarrior/mechcommander games. This idea brings pilot death back to MWO.

It would also make headshots a hell of a lot more gratifying when you kill someones pilot lol.

Edited by Khobai, 11 May 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#6 SICk Nick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

DUUUUUUUUUUDE, AWESOME IDEA. I LIKE IT A LOT.

#7 Vandul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

Hmmm, maybe take a look at the thread in my sig?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users