Do the old veterans have a chance agains young powergamers?

143 replies to this topic

#81 collosus

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 77 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

I will just leave it here...

Granted, this is battlefield, not mechwarrior, but it shows that vets can be as much dangerous as a young player :P

#82 Atterro

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 39 posts
  • LocationLook behind you.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

Even though I'm younger than most of these powergamers, I would side with the veterans who know what they are doing.
This isn't the average shooter, a lot of people will have a hard time adjusting.

#83 Christian Soleater

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

View PostFelix Davion, on 20 June 2012 - 06:47 AM, said:

I am an EVE player, and I can tell you that while spreadsheeting can significantly help in optimizing configurations, it never makes up for the ability to stay cool under fire or for skill at playing the game.

I pay EVE as well, and can echo this. I also travel the U.S. playing scenario paintball. That's my FPS. In both, you have to find out what you are good at through trial an error, what you find enjoyable, and stick with it. Same goes for MWO. The great part about the game is it's diverse enough to accommodate different play styles.

#84 Noesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

I'm adapting my zimmer frame to have extra buttons for the twitch controls, its in partnership with Razor.

Also at the same time being closer to having to wear "adult diapers" in such close contact situation may help with some of the immersive aspects of today's improved gameplay.

Plus as you get older and things start to drop off or need replacing the use of prosthetic limbs allow us to have a better understanding of the underlying form with mechs.

Been a fan of Battletech since I was 12 and that was around 30 years ago, so Mechs have been in the blood all along its evolutionary path in PC games. As such having Mech Iron in the blood allows us to interface better with neurohelmets.

Sure you young "whipper snappers" will give us a run for our money. :P

#85 Wingit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

View PostMad Pig, on 20 June 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

Anyone with a birthdate in the 90s or later has no chance. You will get spanked silly. :(

How about one with a birthdate of 1948!
That's me Punk! :o

Yes, my reactions are a tad slower than someone who is 1/3rd my age. But I have team-mates who will more than make up for my shortcomings.

So, come on! Try and spank me silly. :P

Edited by Wingit, 20 June 2012 - 09:21 AM.

#86 Wingit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostYuba Frank, on 20 June 2012 - 07:31 AM, said:

Don't bet against older and wiser! Remember the story about the old bull and the young bull....

Oi!
That's my story. :P

#87 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

I'll put any of my old time pilots up against these whippersnappers anyday of the week!

#88 DraigUK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationCardiff, Wales, UK

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

It will be similar to WoT. Generally speaking older people (I'm 40) will be better at leading, organisation and tactics. Young guns will be better at twitch shooting and pulling off some amazing 1v1.

It is a sweeping generalisation,of course, but for certain when I started playing Counterstrike (when it first came out, I have been computer gaming for over 20 years now) I was far better than I am now with reactions, but it balances out because now I'm far more patient and less prone to rage quitting and charging. I'm better at team play than I was 15 - 25 years ago for certain. Easy examples.

So overall. no one generation will be "better" in my opinion, but you may see a trend of being better at certain aspects of the game. Overall it will balance out.

Young guns with not so much disposable income will be more likely to free to play and grind up, old farts like me will probably pay and have premium this and that so we don't have to play 12 hours a day and still progress.

#89 Shr1mp

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNorth West England.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:05 AM

This old fart says that teamwork will be the deciding factor and not age.

#90 TripleHex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOut of range of your weapons

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

Yes, we have a chance... it's likely a snowball's chance in Hell, but that's still a chance! lol

#91 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:16 AM

I've been playing MechWarrior longer than some of the people I game with have been alive. If I'm worried about anyone it's them. :D

#92 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

As we get older our, "twitch"reflexes decline hence the question about younger gamers and being at a disadvantage.

Fortunately this game isn't CoD, with insta-spawns etc. In this game, "Old and Sneaky" has a chance.

#93 Revery

Rookie

• 1 posts

This is one of those areas that I've found in games usually balances itself out.
Older people usually are more patient and have learned more strategy/skill.
I've seen a lot of younger players power through a game then quit it immediately. (Recent example D3)
Some younger people will show skill some wont. We will see out on the field.

#94 DarkAnubis

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

Age, Deception and Patience will always beat Youth, Skill and Impatience! :D

#95 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

Us old farts have jobs, we can pay for more Chinese prisoners to grind C-Bills for us. :lol:

#96 Mad Pig

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 487 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

View PostWingit, on 20 June 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

How about one with a birthdate of 1948!
That's me Punk! :wub:

Yes, my reactions are a tad slower than someone who is 1/3rd my age. But I have team-mates who will more than make up for my shortcomings.

So, come on! Try and spank me silly. :lol:

You misunderstood and I wasn't clear - I'm referring the 20 somethings and younger being spanked. Us old farts got the paddles ready.

#97 Wo0m3rA

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSydney AU

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

For many of us old gamers we've been around long enough to remember programing in BASIC, Datasets, and DOS. Even in my case I was introduced to computers circa 1980 and used to dial-up bulletin boards etc. just for the late 80s version of online gaming - and have watched the hobby grow ever since.

My tabletop gaming experience was alongside my experience with computers and most of my gaming friends (some have passed - R.I.P) were both tabletop mini, RPG, and computer gamers back in the 80s. As for my computers over the years starting with access to my high schools TRS-80s circa 1981 I've been building my own IBM compatible systems since the intel 486 CPU was top of the heap in the early 1990s.

As a younger someone pointed out to me recently I'm of that generation who is old enough to remember the early days of home computing but young enough to feel completely at home at a PC keyboard - as though it's second nature. And I know as a fact that there are many of us older and wiser who seem to have grown up on the leading edge :lol: .

Edited by Wo0m3rA, 20 June 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#98 xSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 20 June 2012 - 05:29 AM, said:

There's a command role ya know, and not many people are willing to follow an 18 year old's orders over a grizzled vet!

How might one know the age of their commander? Unless they willingly (like me) impart you with said information you can't know.

As a 20 year old who intends to specialize in the command role I find the notion that age is directly related to player skill, and knowledge of tactics, to be absurd. I was in a small but successful EVE Online corporation, with members ranging in age from 15-30, that was led by an 18 year old. I personally have had experience not only with chess and real time strategy games, but studying the use of tactics throughout history simply because it interests me.

A good order is a good order, no matter the age of the commander.

I look forward to leading many of you to victory, or following your orders as a scout when the role has already been filled. I'm flexible like that :lol:

View PostShr1mp, on 20 June 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

This old fart says that teamwork will be the deciding factor and not age.

It will be a pleasure to fight alongside you Shr1mp! I hope more players from both ends of the age spectrum share your view.

Edited by xSidewinder, 20 June 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#99 TripleHex

• 1,636 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOut of range of your weapons

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

Look guys, I already answered this: we're screwed... the younger generation has the godlike-computers AND they know how to work them... all hope is lost!!! *sarcastically*

#100 ArchSight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 492 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

Anyone younger than me is more than likely going to get enraged and quite the game when they fight me. Keeping the veteran MechWarriors out of MWO as long as possible might be a good idea so the youngsters A.K.A. Newbie's don't get beat up too hard.

Edited by ArchSight, 20 June 2012 - 01:01 PM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users