Leagues With Real Arena Style And Weight Classes

12 replies to this topic

#1 Xorv

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:45 PM

because when a griffin in caustic valley is just running from your VTR and you can't catch it because you're a damn assault and all he is doing is just spamming lrm just speaks to the complete abyssal nature free for all 1v1 league presents when it comes to presenting real competition and skill. I mean the guy could of popped out in a damn spider with the glitched hitboxes, who the hell considers that a competitive 1v1 in a league with rankings?

so yeah if you know any, other than martial olympiad, please tell me.

Edited by Xorv, 14 May 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#2 Domoneky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

well he does have to keep you at least 180 meters away. Also try using the terrain more. yeah I know caustic is abit open but hey there are some hills and such. You could have also tried to hit him from a different angle. Remember he need Line of Sight to get a lock. You could either get a faster engine for your Victor to help close the distance, get an ECM mech and use that, use the terrain more to your advantage, or simply not use an Assault.

#3 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:43 PM

I did more damage to you with the ERPPC than with the LRMs. Also, I told you a day in advance that the map was Caustic, and you took a brawler anyway. That's on you.

#4 Xorv

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

View PostStillRadioactive, on 14 May 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

I did more damage to you with the ERPPC than with the LRMs. Also, I told you a day in advance that the map was Caustic, and you took a brawler anyway. That's on you.

I agree but next time someone picks caustic, i'll know to at least bring an ECM atlas minimum.

Edited by Xorv, 14 May 2014 - 08:45 PM.

#5 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

View PostXorv, on 14 May 2014 - 08:44 PM, said:

well next time someone picks caustic, i'll know to atleast bring an ECM atlas minimum.

Make sure you build it with some long range weapons. I'd been practicing with that build against 2xPPC/2xAC-5 Victors on Caustic for the past couple days, and I was shocked to see you running AC-20/2xML/2xSRM-6. The fights are generally much closer against the PPC/AC builds.

Oh, and for anyone interested:

Edited by StillRadioactive, 14 May 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#6 Xorv

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

View PostStillRadioactive, on 14 May 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

Make sure you build it with some long range weapons. I'd been practicing with that build against 2xPPC/2xAC-5 Victors on Caustic for the past couple days, and I was shocked to see you running AC-20/2xML/2xSRM-6. The fights are generally much closer against the PPC/AC builds.

Oh, and for anyone interested:

yes thats a city mech and and i bring it to caustic, but i was hoping you were gonna bring one of those type of assaults, but next time someone pics caustic i have to remember two things 1) long rage weapons 2) lrm counter or lrms or both

Edited by Xorv, 14 May 2014 - 08:52 PM.

#7 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

View PostXorv, on 14 May 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

yes thats a city mech and and i bring it to caustic, but i was hoping you were gonna bring one of those type of assaults, but next time someone pics caustic i have to remember two things 1) long rage weapons 2) lrm counter or lrms or both

Yup. That's part of the game... the defender picks the map that's best suited to the 'mech he's going to bring. The attacker has to guess what that 'mech will be, based on the map, and come up with a plan to defeat it.

Every 'mech has strengths and weaknesses. That Griffin will stomp a brawler on Caustic almost every time, but it has a hell of a hard time against an ECM light sniper (the only counter-ECM I bring is the ERPPC). I just thought the odds of running into a brawling assault were higher than the odds of running into an ECM sniper. I was right.

Anyway, good luck in your future matches.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:41 PM

Just to mention it the large lasers on the victor could have done something.

Now, for the Victor that was simply a failure to build for contingencies. Try an LB-10 + AC/5 combination, 2 streaks, and 2 or more medium lasers. You'd be amazed at what a difference you'd have had in that fight. At the very least the LB and AC/5 would have brought the Griffin to a crawl by the time you got orange. The rest is in what you do once you catch up.

Even with the AC/20, you could have fired it and with double the range (so 540 instead of 270) still do 10 damage. Chasing the enemy directly was pretty foolish. Flank. Maneuver. Cut off. As a close range mech you were screwed the moment you got yourself spotted. You need to sneak up on them.

Stealth is everything. Here's an example. Soon after I begin I learn of a 6 PPC stalker; back when they could instant kill most mediums. Now I am in a SLOW Hunchback for close range combat. It's a chase cam so you can watch it from outside of the mech.

In this ANCIENT video, I'm in a Flamer Stalker. The entire enemy force had my team completely stalemated in a poptart fest. So I went a long way around, snuck up on the rear most enemy and began attacking. Video starts just before I fired.

Everything is in the approach. Now if you're fighting with a sword, do you rush directly at the enemy with the Gatling gun? Or do you suddenly appear behind him when he least suspects it?

Edited by Koniving, 14 May 2014 - 10:14 PM.

#9 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

View PostKoniving, on 14 May 2014 - 09:41 PM, said:

failure to build for contingencies

Precisely why I brought the 2xSSRM-2 and ammo for it. On a 55 tonner, 4 tons of weapon space is a fairly significant investment, but I couldn't bear the thought of just rolling over and playing dead for the first Ember to come along. If I could have guaranteed that I'd only meet assaults and heavies, I would have gladly put in a bigger engine, an additional jumpjet, and a third LRM-5 launcher.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

My own Griffin runs an LRM-20, 3 Streaks, an MPL (I don't have good luck hitting lights with ER PPCs, but an MPL never misses) and a TAG along with bap and various other things. Griffins are dangerous.

My Victors vary from variant to variant, but LB and AC/2 or 5 combinations have worked incredibly well for me on Victors, Atlases, Highlanders and occasionally Orions. This was on May 4th, 2 streaks, 3 ML, AC/2, LB, XL 330 engine and lots of ammunition.

Different match, same setup and 6 kills for 600-ish damage, multiple mercenary premades announcing their presence.

#11 Kurkotain

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 76 posts
  • LocationOmnicron persei 8

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:25 PM

This thread (and video) is a beautiful example of why combined weapons are so important in CBT. you never know what the enemy might bring and you need to plan ahead for it.

In pug land its a different story since its poptarts or lrms all the time, but in a duel, that large laser might be the difference between mounting an effective resistance or doing 14 dmg.

No offense to Xorv, you did the best you could do given the build you decided to bring.

#12 Xorv

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:48 AM

how can i flank a mech that can run away so fast? even if i did i would probably only get a few hits before out of range.

#13 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:12 AM

It's tough, ESPECIALLY on that map... but there are terrain pieces you can use to force a 'mech into a closer-ranged fight. Since this is one of my go-to mech and map combinations, I won't tell you exactly where they are... but they do exist.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users