Cpu And Gpu Opinions / Questions

15 replies to this topic

#1 Imminent Goblin

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationDon't look now, but I'm right behind you!

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:37 AM

Hi Mechwarriors,
Its quite possible that this has been discussed but.... since most technical computer jargon is like a foreign language to me (spent hours searching and reading but all that did was get me more confused) so I'll ask anyway and hopefully get some advice from people whom know better than I.

I'm looking at a new desktop rig and I have a couple of questions. But first perhaps a little background. I'm not a fanatic gamer, I only play a couple times a week, couple hours at a time. I use one monitor. I pretty much only play two online games, MWO and Dungeons and Dragons Online (ya, I know. I'm an oldschool game geek). Just started MWO about 2 weeks ago and I really dig it but I have issues playing well, some because of my current rig me thinks.

My current rig sucks, I get like 10-15 fps on low settings (even so the game looks smooth, but whatever) and I can't hit crap half the time when I'm in heavy combat. Its a 6 or 7 year old generic Best Buy special, dual core i5 650 processor, some old arsed integral or whatever video card thing and 8 gigs ram. Time for some new junk.

1st: On the new rig I'm looking at either Intel i5 4570 or i5 4670? Is the 4670 going to get me much better fps for the extra $120? Does overclocking them make a really big difference to game play? (fps increase I guess right?)

2nd: Nvidia GTX 750 Ti or GTX 760 or GTX 770? Is the 750 good enough and will it run higher or maxed graphics settings in MWO? Or is the 760 or 770 so much better that they justify the extra $100 to $175ish bucks over the 750?

My main goal is to get my fps up to something pretty good so I can actually kill guys better but if I can also run pretty graphic settings that's a nice perk. I know some of this obviously depends on the cash I want to blow, but I'm hoping for some experienced advice about game performance improvements with the upgrades. Like will the game really run that much better with the 'fancy stuff'.

Thanks in advance and see you on the battlefield perhaps. o7

Edited by Languedoc Daung, 16 May 2014 - 12:38 AM.

#2 BladeXXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:45 AM

Hi,

here some of my tipps:
You will go fine with a GTX 750 - but please take a good brand to avoid bad surprises. I'll recomend MSI or ASUS - those brands a mostly slightly overclocked so you'll be happy with.
With the upcomming new Drivers (oriented on Mantle) and DX12 you can save your money for a better CPU and MoBo!

And this is where your cashe should goto:
In view weeks Intel will push out the CPU-refresh for Gamers called "Devils Canyon"
The CPUs should be provided with improved TIM (Thermal Interface) for better overclocking or even less heat.
Here you have the choice between i5-4690K and i7-4790K.
i7 should get 4.0 GHz base clock and 4.4 turbo (500 MHz more then actual version 4770)
i5 will be 3.5 to 3.9 GHz (100 MHz more then actual version 4670)

I would recommend the new i7 - if it holds the promizes!
MWO can already use all 8 Threads of i7 while i5 offers only 4 threads.
You don't neet to overclock anything here - it's fast enough!

Don't be tight-fisted with you motherboard - don't take the cheapest one - You will keep it for around the next 5 years.
Take one of Asus bests (Gamer-editions?) and be happy.
Same for RAM .. I'll recommend G-Skill or G.E.I.L

#3 Dreambreaker

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:40 AM

Hello.

I can help you first by describing how the game runs on my PC.

Specs are:
Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.4 Ghz, goes up to 3.8 GHz
MSI GTX 760 GPU (TwinFrozr OC model)
12 GB Corsair XMS3 RAM

I run the game at 1680*1050 resolution and everything at very high with no AA. Usually I get around 50-60 FPS, with occasional dips to low 40s. Overall the game runs smoothly and I have no problems shooting people :)

The point I'm trying to make is you don't need to spend large amounts of money to play this game. Judging by your post, you're not an enthusiast gamer so I think it doesn't pay to spend money on enthusiast gear, unless you're interested in future-proofing.

That said, IMHO you could buy an i5-4590 processor, GTX 760 GPU (or AMD equivalent R9 280), and as BladeXXL said a good motherboard. 8 gigs of RAM shoud do just fine.

Hope I helped.

#4 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:06 AM

Dude.. 10 to 15 fps is standard for this game. You will be fine with your first choices of GPU/CPU. No, it isn't worth the extra $120 for the faster i5 chip with the purposes you are describing. I agree with Blade. Dont skimp out on the motherboard, a good mobo allows for better upgrades in the future if you decide to do so. Also, overclocking is a no no!! You don't know how to do it right and it voids the warranty on the chip. You ultimately shorten the life of the chip and run the risk of having a very unstable system that wont work optimally at OC voltages.

I dont know what the GTX750's capabilities are. However I do know that Mechwarrior is CPU heavy. So if you can go for the i7 models that Blade was mentioning.

My rig:

FX8350
GTX770 4GB OC Edition

I get 40-70 fps at 1920 x 1080p maxed out!!

#5 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:28 AM

You shouldn't be paying an extra $100 for a single step up on the processor, even if that 4670 is a K-series (unlocked) CPU. The performance level between the two at stock clocks is going to be negligible. That's just the manufacturer digging into your pocket a little bit. The GTX 760 is the GPU I would go with if money is a concern. The 770 will obviously be faster, but the 760 will still net you a good experience.

What's the price range and manufacturer you're looking at? There's a good chance a more fair deal can be had.

#6 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:17 AM

First off, you do not need a i7. MWO only uses four processing threads, so the extra 4 processing threads the i7 has over the i5 will only net you a couple FPS. I actually own three i7 rigs, trust me when I say MWO does not need a i7 CPU.

Only if you plan to OC is the price of the 4670k justified over the 4570. The difference between stock speeds is negligible. But, under no circumstances should a 4670k cost $120 more than a 4570. The 4670k costs around $220 and the 4570 costs around $195. That a $25 price difference between the two CPUs.

http://pcpartpicker....-bx80646i54670k
http://pcpartpicker....u-bx80646i54570

In MWO, OC'ing can net you a large performance increase. MWO loves straight processing power, the more MHz you give it, the better it will run. I highly suggest you research OC'ing whatever CPU you get before attempting to OC. It's not as "hardware deadly" as DJPush makes it out to be. It does not void your warrantee unless you tell Intel that it was OC'ed (seriously, they can not go back and check the speed a CPU was running when it fried). And I've been running my 2600k OC'ed to 4.5ghz while running at full load crunching numbers for over 2 years now. Before the 2600k, had a Q9650 which I ran OC'ed to 4.25ghz for 3 years and then sold. It's still in use by the person I sold it to. Keep the voltages within recommended specs and keep the temperatures below 70'c and you will not hurt your CPU by OC'ing it. But make sure you get a motherboard that can handle the extra voltage requirements of OC'ing. I fried my first motherboard (Gigabyte Z68 AP-D3) for my 2600k in 3 months of running the 2600k at 4.5ghz.

As for the GPU, just get the best you can afford. I have no suggestions as to what GPU to get without knowing the resolution you game at.

Edited by Barbaric Soul, 16 May 2014 - 05:21 AM.

#7 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:43 AM

to add to my previous post, here are two build suggestions depending on how you are thinking about this build.

if you do not plan to OC, and are only looking to play MWO at decent graphical settings at 1080p, I suggest something like this- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3L3Rf

If you are looking for a OC'able computer that will be able to play any modern game at acceptable levels for the next 2-3 years, I suggest something like this- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3L40W

Also, keep in mind that next month, Intel are releasing their new 4790k and 4690k CPUs (http://www.techpower...5/#post-3106338), which are designed to give better OC'ing results than the 4770k because of better a thermal design.

And if your curious, my signature rig plays MWO at fully maxed out details, motion blur turned off, 2560*1600 resolution and averages between 50-60 fps with no drops. It would cost about $4k with the monitor. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3L4ls

Edited by Barbaric Soul, 16 May 2014 - 05:54 AM.

#8 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:25 AM

View PostBarbaric Soul, on 16 May 2014 - 05:17 AM, said:

MWO only uses four processing threads …

It uses six, but with enough GHz, many of the threads can double up.

OP, you sound like you are looking at a store-bought complete system, which is often bad for bang-for-buck. On the assumption you've seen guides you couldn't track properly, perhaps you could have a friend whom you could get to help you do-it-yourself?

Here: One more quick'n dirty guide. http://www.maximumpc...e_2013?page=0,0

#9 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:37 AM

I stand corrected, MWO does use 6 threads

#10 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:57 AM

Well, OCing a 4570 K series is easy and safe, so stop saying it's a "no no". Is it going to give you higher FPS to have a stronger CPU? Not really. It will however help with minimum FPS, which is imo more important.

Good, fast RAM will also net you a boost in minimum FPS, but no discernible difference in maximum FPS. Which is something a lot of people and reviews just skimp over in their quest to show the highest number of FPS.

So, a good CPU, like a 4570 (k or non-k) paired with 1866mhz ddr or so, will yield you a very solid platform to stick a decent GPU on top of. Like a Geforce 760 or Radeon 7800 series.

#11 Imminent Goblin

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationDon't look now, but I'm right behind you!

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

Thanks all for the replies and advice. I'm skipping town for the weekend so Ill check back in in a few days. My friends brothers cousins neighbors former room mate (ok, I made that part up, its just my friends brother) is helping me with the building of the computer. I can do the hardware assembly and he can do the software setup since hes familiar with that stuff and Im not (and not really interested in getting familiar either lol). But he doesn't play any games at all so hes not too keen on suggesting parts.

I decided that Falcon Northwest has a pretty good reputation and their website offers only a few customization choices as opposed to some of the other gaming computer builders so it was easier to sort through. So I looked at a gaming computer from there and decided I could maybe copy it and build it myself. I see all the guides on these forums but there are so many different ways people like to do it It started making my head hurt.

So anyhow.... the motherboard I'm looking at is the Asus Maximus VII Ranger. Good choice?

Thanks again people.

#12 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

View PostLanguedoc Daung, on 16 May 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

My friends brothers cousins neighbors former room mate …

+1 Conans

I decided that Falcon Northwest has a pretty good reputation and their website offers only a few customization choices as opposed to some of the other gaming computer builders so it was easier to sort through. So I looked at a gaming computer from there and decided I could maybe copy it and build it myself.

+1 PC Gamer Merit Badge

I see all the guides on these forums but there are so many different ways people like to do it It started making my head hurt.

So anyhow.... the motherboard I'm looking at is the Asus Maximus VII Ranger. Good choice?

Get some aspirin, you're gon'a need it. :)

Google the motherboard: There are too many to get reviewed the way graphics cards do, which is a disservice …

#13 BladeXXL

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:05 AM

View PostBarbaric Soul, on 16 May 2014 - 05:17 AM, said:

First off, you do not need a i7. MWO only uses four processing threads, so the extra 4 processing threads the i7 has over the i5 will only net you a couple FPS. I actually own three i7 rigs, trust me when I say MWO does not need a i7 CPU...

Here is a nearly 4 jears old report:
http://www.neoseeker...to-8-cpu-cores/

Even if MWO may not use all 8 cores yet ... I might use them all in near future.
You also forget: your OS and your hardware (soundcard, LAN, HDD) uses your CPU too!
That mean, if MWO uses up to 6 cores, you still have 2 HTs to handle most of peripherial things without sharing CPU ressources with MWO.

To clearify: i7 doesn't have 8 cores! It has 4 Cores with HT (HyperThread) each. That means, each core can handle up to 2 Threads at once. But some CPU components are shared between the single core and corresponding HT-core.
So in worst case you can only run 4 threads on i7 if HT can not be used for any thread in queue.

#14 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

To clarify: You got'a read up on what socket any given "i7" sits in to know if it's a quad- or a hexa-core, but they all have Hyperthreading.

The oversimplification of Hyperthreading is it can make one 3.0GHz core behave like two 1.6GHz cores: As long as the loads fit within both "cores," you get the bonus Hz.

MW:O, AFAICT, has one load that won't play nice with HT, as it demands all the Hz, but all the rest will cheerfully double-up into the other three cores; Thus you have the thing going around about only "needing" an i5.

There are guys out there whom bought hexacore Nehalems, and are only mildly impressed with more recent Intel offerings: It makes for quite a contrast to the "$500 build every six months" doctrine, no?

#15 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

intel, at least 3 ghz and no lower than an i5

nividia or ati doesn't matter, it just has to have 1. enough onboard memory to satisfy the gpu for textures and 2. enough speed to render shadows and particle effects. Do not get a videocard with less than 2 gb memory and at least 256 bit bus.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 19 May 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#16 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostLanguedoc Daung, on 16 May 2014 - 12:37 AM, said:

Hi Mechwarriors,
Its quite possible that this has been discussed but.... since most technical computer jargon is like a foreign language to me (spent hours searching and reading but all that did was get me more confused) so I'll ask anyway and hopefully get some advice from people whom know better than I.

I'm looking at a new desktop rig and I have a couple of questions. But first perhaps a little background. I'm not a fanatic gamer, I only play a couple times a week, couple hours at a time. I use one monitor. I pretty much only play two online games, MWO and Dungeons and Dragons Online (ya, I know. I'm an oldschool game geek). Just started MWO about 2 weeks ago and I really dig it but I have issues playing well, some because of my current rig me thinks.

My current rig sucks, I get like 10-15 fps on low settings (even so the game looks smooth, but whatever) and I can't hit crap half the time when I'm in heavy combat. Its a 6 or 7 year old generic Best Buy special, dual core i5 650 processor, some old arsed integral or whatever video card thing and 8 gigs ram. Time for some new junk.

1st: On the new rig I'm looking at either Intel i5 4570 or i5 4670? Is the 4670 going to get me much better fps for the extra $120? Does overclocking them make a really big difference to game play? (fps increase I guess right?)

2nd: Nvidia GTX 750 Ti or GTX 760 or GTX 770? Is the 750 good enough and will it run higher or maxed graphics settings in MWO? Or is the 760 or 770 so much better that they justify the extra $100 to $175ish bucks over the 750?

My main goal is to get my fps up to something pretty good so I can actually kill guys better but if I can also run pretty graphic settings that's a nice perk. I know some of this obviously depends on the cash I want to blow, but I'm hoping for some experienced advice about game performance improvements with the upgrades. Like will the game really run that much better with the 'fancy stuff'.

Thanks in advance and see you on the battlefield perhaps. o7

Get what can afford.

Focus the most $$$ into the CPU/GPU/motherboard combination. I personally got the i7 4770k when it released and overclocked it to 4.5ghz easy with a watercooler (NZXT Kraken x60).

Also, the video card, get what you can. I personally, would stick with X60 nvidia gtx or higher, meaning 760 or higher etc.. 770 , 780. I personally am still running a GTX680 overclocked and it's runs great.

Motherboard is important, but you can always get an mATX or basic ATX if you're low on cash.

Definitely 8gb of DDR3 ram at minimum or 16gb if you have the money. High rated speeds if you can.

then the other parts like SSD/HDD, PSU, case, are important as-well, but will effect FPS less than the 3 aforementioned.

Remember, a 120hz monitor benefits gaming aswell, assuming youare getting close to 120fps from your GPU, if not it's pointless.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users