Puma Prime comes with a TC as well.

#22 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:56 PM

Puma Prime comes with a TC as well.

Yeah but whos gonna play a light that goes 97kph. Might as well not exist.

#23 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:03 PM

View PostKhobai, on 19 May 2014 - 09:56 PM, said:

As long as the CERPPC isn't nerfed too hard, you could have what amounts to a "baby energy Gausscat on meth." (As in, each CERPPC might do Gauss damage and you could run a lot faster than a Catapult K2). It could make for a nice troll mech, depending on the weapon stats.

#24 Grimmrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:35 AM

Looks nice.

but why is your opponent wearing sunglasses? :P

But I guess it may be similar to the MW3 targetting computer, since its in the 2 ERPPC clanners.

Edited by Grimmrog, 20 May 2014 - 01:36 AM.

#25 Xistic

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:36 AM

View PostGrimmrog, on 20 May 2014 - 01:35 AM, said:

Looks nice.

but why is your opponent wearing sunglasses? :P

But I guess it may be similar to the MW3 targetting computer, since its in the 2 ERPPC clanners.

Thanks!

I didn't make the hit boxes on that commando. :)

Edited by Xistic, 20 May 2014 - 06:41 AM.

#26 Finster

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:57 AM

View PostKoniving, on 19 May 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

While a great idea, I think this would be too strong of an advantage in a game with massive pinpoint damage.
If the game was much more damage over time based, there'd be absolutely nothing wrong with this idea.

Instead, I think I'd be content with the ability to select body parts for missiles to hit (though this is advantageous as well) and/or an indicator telling me where I have to aim to hit with a selected weapon.

An enemy is going this fast, in this direction. Icon appears ahead of that player which says without a word: 'shoot here to hit enemy player with UAC/2'. Like target leads on space sims.

Well, he addresses lead indicators pretty thoroughly. And I've never agreed with people's aversion to "pinpoint" damage. It's a first person shooter... it's something you should expect, IMHO. That being said, if PGI switched back to a 4v4 queue, pinpoint damage would be much less of thing because you'd have less focus firing, but since they're bent on this 12v12 3/3/3/3 nonsense, I can almost empathize with you... but not quite.

View PostKhobai, on 19 May 2014 - 09:42 PM, said:

You guys think the targeting computer is actually gonna do anything? LOL. PGI isnt gonna waste their time on silly details like that.

Yeah, there's a pretty good chance it will just be the Clan Command Console.

#27 Finster

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

View PostKhobai, on 19 May 2014 - 09:56 PM, said:

You're thinking of it all wrong. It's a light mech with the armor and speed of a medium, with 16 tons of pod space. The Adder C has 2 LRM-15's. In theory you could swap those out for 20's and still have 6 tons of ammo.

I think the Adder will do just fine.

#28 Legacy Wing

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:15 AM

I don't think PGI will have the computer do nothing at all, even under the worst-case scenario. In my mind, the least they will do is have it provide the "advanced zoom" feature, perhaps without the reduced resolution and maybe a slightly higher level of magnification than what the module currently provides. I'm not saying that would be worth one-ton-in-five, mind you, but I imagine that's the absolute minimum of what the system will do.

The more I think about it, the more in love I am with Xistic's original idea. Shading areas of vulnerability on the enemy mech is basically the perfect solution because it keeps the TC firmly in line with the purpose of most electronic warfare equipment: data gathering, sifting, sorting, and display. It's still up to the pilot to hit where he is aiming; the computer in this scenario just helps him make an intelligent decision about where that should be.

Plus it's elegant and intuitive. You know where this system would also be very useful? Training tutorials for new players.

#29 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:16 AM

View PostFinster, on 20 May 2014 - 06:57 AM, said:

Well, he addresses lead indicators pretty thoroughly. And I've never agreed with people's aversion to "pinpoint" damage. It's a first person shooter... it's something you should expect, IMHO. That being said, if PGI switched back to a 4v4 queue, pinpoint damage would be much less of thing because you'd have less focus firing, but since they're bent on this 12v12 3/3/3/3 nonsense, I can almost empathize with you... but not quite.

I noticed it after I posted.

Now, there's a reason for it. Compare the game of now to a normal match of early open beta pre armlock. It's an entirely different game. An incredibly fun game where you could make a mistake and recover from it. Where a medium mech has a chance.
Examples of each.
Spoiler

Ultimately, it's devolving into this.

#30 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:48 AM

View PostFinster, on 20 May 2014 - 07:02 AM, said:

You're thinking of it all wrong. It's a light mech with the armor and speed of a medium...

The armor part is not true. It is physically impossible for a 35 ton mech to carry the same armor protection as a 55 ton mech, by virtue of the construction system. The only way you could achieve it would be by using hardened armor, which eats up a lot of tonnage and isn't allowed on Omnimechs. Also, the good mediums (i.e. Shadow Hawk) have unrivaled hitbox quality. The Fox and Adder will not be able to match mah precious Shawk in durability.

As for speed, having the same speed as a medium with less armor (see above) is kind of a bad thing.

The only saving grace for the Clan lights will be how the stats of the weapons turn out. If PGI doesn't nerfhammer the CERPPC too hard, and lets it do 15 damage without giving it crazy high heat or w/e, then the Clan lights might make for decent troll mechs. The Kit Fox will also need the omnipods of its Alternate C variant for ECM, or else it will be fully inferior to the Adder in every way.

#31 Legacy Wing

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

I've seen plenty of Cicada's running around with one of each type of PPC, and doing quite well for themselves. If the Adder can do the same thing a Cicada can do, and do it while taking up a light slot rather than a medium slot (out of your team's 3/3/3/3 composition) it will be quite valuable. Think of it the way the Inner Sphere might see it: if that twin PPC Cicada weighed five tons less, we would have a slot for another Shadow Hawk.

In any case, as long as the Clan ERPPC is comparable in performance to its IS cousins, I think the Adder will do just fine. And if it comes with a targeting computer like the one Xistic is describing? That's not just a trolling mech anymore....

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users