Gameplay Mode General

33 replies to this topic

#1 Grimm Peaper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts
  • LocationEnjoys long walks with Assault mechs

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

Just a couple suggestions. Here's the short list for those with short attention spans:
  • Add AI controlled targets for players to kill for c-bills during a match, like in Moba's
  • Have a co-op survival mode vs AI for non-competitve casual players
  • Have a very short campaign, or even just the survival mode via AI be the new player tutorial.
  • Have a respawn game mode option

And here's why:
  • Understand just WHY AI controlled opponents are there to begin with, because human players hate to lose. By having AI controlled opponents to fall over and die makes it so that even the suckiest warrior FEELS like he's contributing or doing well. Logic really says he's not, but for many people it will brunt that bu-tt-hurt feeling they get to constantly losing. AI opponents can take a loss without feeling bad about it. It's there PURELY for player ego.
  • Not everyone wants to play competitively. Some people want to play co-operatively. Have a mode for that. Hell, I know a fellow MWO player that was the leader of a pvp guild in WoW and even he admits that he sometimes needed to go off and not pvp because even for die hard pvp players, it gets boring/tiring/frustrating.
  • Remember Chromehounds? It had a basic single player game, but it was so short, that it really was just a playground for new players. Once new players cut their teeth there on derp AI enemies, they could go online and try their hand at real players. Again, this is for player ego. New players won't want to continue playing when they keep getting their azz handed to them when they're just starting a new game. Rather than trying to group them with other derp newbies, let them cut their teeth on incompetent AI that will fluff their ego and they can move onto real MP when they feel they are ready. It's human nature.
  • It takes a long time to setup and start a game and then you die and you need to wait for the match to finish if you want all the c-bills from kill assists. A respawn mode makes it so that you can continually be in action without all this waiting after finally getting everyone into the game. It also lessens the blow to their ego if they can just respawn again. Yes, let respawning reduce your rewards. Yes, have no-respawning be the default option, but at least provide 1 game mode where you can respawn. Respawning also reduces roll-overs. If someone on your team plays poorly and dies early, at least they'll respawn and get back into the fight. Having no respawns means that more than half the game it's just a mop up and let's be honest PGI, a slaughter for the last half of the game is no fun for anyone. The losing player is frustrated and the winning player is just mopping up with no challenge.

To have a largest possible player base, the game needs to appeal to the largest variety of players. I've heard Russel spout what he believes is PGI's "vision" of what the game would/should be like to have most fun. I can respect that, but I would put forth that it would be more profitable to have multiple visions, multiple modes, multiple options. Give as many options as you can to the players and let them decide. Here is an example:

PGI tried to find a set of colors for the UI/HUD that could appeal to everyone or at least the largest amount of people. What they should have done was to just let players choose a color themselves. Not every color is going to work for everyone, but everyone can find their own color that works for them.

PGI thinks it is most fun to not have respawns. What they could have done was to have respawns as an option. Let the players choose and whichever is more popular will get used the most.

-----------------------------------

Just some suggestions PGI. I look forward to the great stuff you're bringing us in the future.

#2 Utilyan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

I've suggested this before, i'm sure someone else has too. Basicly was attacked as a stupid idea......http://mwomercs.com/...785-moba-style/

Of course TITAN FALL took the advice and are completely kicking ass.

I'd love to see a company make a move with the MechWarrior living legends.

The dream game would prob be something like planetside with battlemechs. With portions of large conquerable territory.

I'd love to see more exploring downtime where you travel in mech. I prefer the respawn battlefield mode to the one spawn counterstrike mode.

Even if they took the conquest game mode, add respawn, and where win is only achieved in points............the game would be 10 times greater. They've done test servers......they should test this once.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:11 PM

View PostGrimm Peaper, on 15 May 2014 - 05:07 PM, said:

Just a couple suggestions. Here's the short list for those with short attention spans:
  • Add AI controlled targets for players to kill for c-bills during a match, like in Moba's
  • Have a very short campaign, or even just the survival mode via AI be the new player tutorial.
And here's why: [list=1] [*]Understand just WHY AI controlled opponents are there to begin with, because human players hate to lose. By having AI controlled opponents to fall over and die makes it so that even the suckiest warrior FEELS like he's contributing or doing well. Logic really says he's not, but for many people it will brunt that bu-tt-hurt feeling they get to constantly losing. AI opponents can take a loss without feeling bad about it. It's there PURELY for player ego.

In that short intro, you already repeated a word PGI cannot hope to handle even after 10 years, six times. Care to guess what it is?

It's AI.

Edited by El Bandito, 15 May 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#4 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:42 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 15 May 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

In that short intro, you already repeated a word PGI cannot hope to handle even after 10 years, six times. Care to guess what it is?

It's AI.

The turrets kind of show otherwise.

However, the OP's post has some good suggestions but none of them are anywhere near easy to implement. And respawning modes have far reaching balancing issues. Ammunition-based mechs need to have a means to resupply their ammunition, otherwise they're at a huge disadvantage. And that's just the more obvious issue. Might also need a means to repair the mech during the match. And both of these lead to issues...

OTOH I am all for game modes where we have pet AI-driven tanks to support/shoot at. And maybe even pirate-hunting missions or somesuch where we actually fight AI-driven battlemechs.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

View PostScratx, on 15 May 2014 - 07:42 PM, said:

The turrets kind of show otherwise.

Oh yeah the simple turrets. I could go on and on about PGI's inability to even implement those right, but I won't.
But I could.

Edited by El Bandito, 15 May 2014 - 07:47 PM.

#6 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

What if I told you...

Moba's don't work in a first person shooter

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

Respawn mechanic
-----------------------------------

Just some suggestions PGI. I look forward to the great stuff you're bringing us in the future.

This was talked about actually, they even conjured some ideas on how to go about it.

In fact, it was with that old information (now long 'forgotten' by most) 'Dropship mode' later called 'Lobby' (which isn't what we got so to speak), combined with the 'Chess game' of Community Warfare's planetary assault and logistics.. that the concept scenario in my signature link "What 3/3/3/3 cost us" was produced.

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

It's AI.

turrets are smarter than most players

#9 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:36 PM

One of the cool things about the previous Mechwarrior titles was the ability to create your own missions, scenarios, and campaigns. I loved this in previous games and would spend hours making maps and missions. The single player and co-op side was really fun. I knew going into it that MWO would not have this as it was focused on multiplayer, so I was hoping we'd wind up with at least a mode that is more like Battlefield with really, really big maps, 64+players, and multiple types of vehicles from mechs to tanks to aerospace fighters. Instead we have TDM for a couple of years, but hey, CW will be out soon, right?

#10 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

Just having maps where capturing an asset can spawn simple AI vehicles would add something interesting to the game.

Make objectives have meaning that affects the flow of the game and gives more to do is a better thing than the current cap to win by points mechanic IMO.

Thats would I would like to see, Capture an area and have a small dropship land and unload a few tanks that guard the area, or push on to another objective or something. OR VTOLs, or give the commander an arty strike every X minutes, or give a sensor beacon that works like a mech standing on a hill with BAP etc etc

In game obejctives that help your team or hinder the enemy to make capturing points a meaningful choice based on what you might need ... and yes i do not care if this 'spawn' in some ways, happy to break some immersion to bring better gameplay.

Not that i mind pure skirmish but Assault is not up to scratch and needs to be asymetrical attack/defend and conquest is a bit of a merry go round with no feeling of meaning.

#11 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

I've also suggested this a while back. Would be pretty simple to do, we even have turrets now.

#12 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:44 PM

I dont think AI is that simple. Just shoot when you see an enemy wont work. And their statement was "maybe" anyway.

#13 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:49 PM

First Clans, then Clan fixing for half a year, then half a year of nothing, then a brutally bugged and very simple incarnation of CW, then 3/4 of a year to fix CW.

Then MAYBE they can look into other things.

In other words: no.

#14 Grimmrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

A surviver mode like the progressive waves as in MW 3 just eithout being able to repiar would be fun.

#15 Rex Budman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 841 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:12 PM

View Postmwhighlander, on 15 May 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

What if I told you...

MORPHEUS!

#16 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:38 AM

View Postmwhighlander, on 15 May 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

What if I told you...

I would say you were wrong (even if this is third person).

Edited by Rhaythe, 16 May 2014 - 03:39 AM.

#17 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:03 AM

This has been suggested before but I still think it would be an interesting idea.

I would rather they fixed the turret AI to randomly hit any location instead of just legging everyone like they seem to do. If they got that down then having some vehicles on a path wouldn't be a huge jump.

#18 Lupin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 955 posts
  • LocationKent, UK.

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:33 AM

Something they already have in Hawken, and they have enough problems keeping players.
MWO needs to be different.

#19 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:38 AM

View PostLupin, on 16 May 2014 - 04:33 AM, said:

Something they already have in Hawken, and they have enough problems keeping players.
MWO needs to be different.

If MWO had the things he suggested I might be able to play it for more than 45 minutes without getting frustrated and remembering I have other games that are actually both complete and more fun.

#20 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:32 AM

I could see a Mechcommander type game being MOBA styled (top-down, etc)... but its not likely to be created by PGI they got plenty on their hands with MWO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users