32 replies to this topic

#21 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 21 May 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

It's better than the 1X ("Anything I can do the 3D can do with jets!") or the 2X ("What are these missile points for?"). IMO, the heavy and assault bundles are basically perfect. The FS9-H is an odd but not awful choice. The CN9 choice is really odd just a few weeks after everybody who wanted got the champ free.

EDIT: I thought of your sig last night when I killed a VTR and a BNC after getting legged on my CDA-3M. Earned his name that match did Lucky. :D

My brother's done well enough in his CTF-2X that I would easily have taken it over the 4X. The 1X may be a mostly-weaker 3D, and the 2X has missile port issues...but at least those suckers aren't slower than BANSHEES. I just don't know what the hell you're supposed to even do with the 4X @_@. It's bad at moving, it's bad at living, and with those knee-mounted hardpoints it's bad at dakka. IT'S BAD AT THE ONE JOB IT HAS.

Heh...and yeah, it's a pretty great feeling, isn't it? All that brutal meta-crushing firepower, laid low by a lamed overweight light. The Year of the Serpent statue I bought to commemorate the game that generated my signature is still right there in the ol' girl's cockpit. Nothing quite as satisfying as proving once and for all that it ain't over 'till it's over, eh?

#22 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

View Post1453 R, on 21 May 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

My brother's done well enough in his CTF-2X that I would easily have taken it over the 4X. The 1X may be a mostly-weaker 3D, and the 2X has missile port issues...but at least those suckers aren't slower than BANSHEES. I just don't know what the hell you're supposed to even do with the 4X @_@. It's bad at moving, it's bad at living, and with those knee-mounted hardpoints it's bad at dakka. IT'S BAD AT THE ONE JOB IT HAS.

Heh...and yeah, it's a pretty great feeling, isn't it? All that brutal meta-crushing firepower, laid low by a lamed overweight light. The Year of the Serpent statue I bought to commemorate the game that generated my signature is still right there in the ol' girl's cockpit. Nothing quite as satisfying as proving once and for all that it ain't over 'till it's over, eh?

Yep. One of many reasons I love CDAs. :D

I still think the 4X is the third (and maybe second) best CTF, though I find that non-jumping CTFs make me sad. I don't even really like the Ilya very much, so that's a pretty major grain of salt.

#23 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 21 May 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

Perhaps one day they will wise up and allow people to gift mechs to other players

Never going to happen. The largish number of established players who leave would gift (or sell) their entire hanger to noobs, reducing PGI's revenue.

#24 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostAppogee, on 21 May 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

Never going to happen. The largish number of established players who leave would gift (or sell) their entire hanger to noobs, reducing PGI's revenue.

Perhaps, but I see no reason they couldn't allow at time of purchase to have the option to buy it for myself, or someone else.

#25 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:45 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 21 May 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

Perhaps, but I see no reason they couldn't allow at time of purchase to have the option to buy it for myself, or someone else.

I'd've bought a flag cockpit item immediately for a fellow Corsair yesterday if it was possible.

You listening, PGI?

#26 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

View PostRouken, on 21 May 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

I'd hang on to the 4X. The 3D can do the same play style as the 1X and 2X for the most part, and with JJs to boot. The 4X is just different enough from the Muromets that it is interesting in my opinion.

4X has my best KDR for 'fracts right now. Stand next to an Atlas and steal his kills while he soaks up all the fire that would otherwise go to you. Win-win!

Except for the Atlas.

#27 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

View PostErtur, on 21 May 2014 - 02:20 PM, said:

4X has my best KDR for 'fracts right now. Stand next to an Atlas and steal his kills while he soaks up all the fire that would otherwise go to you. Win-win!

Except for the Atlas.

As a Banshee pilot myself I would dearly love it if I had a pet 4X follow me around melting my targets. I'm sure its a win for the Atlas as well.

#28 Koniks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

View PostKoniving, on 21 May 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

Basically it's a permanent "50% off" of everything those of us spent full price on.

Brilliant, isn't it?

Needless to say including the hero into it is upsetting. I won't say much else.

Isn't this the issue that Age of Empires Online ran into with its freemium model?

#29 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

View PostMizeur, on 21 May 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

Isn't this the issue that Age of Empires Online ran into with its freemium model?

While true.. It falls under the "more fun to see how far you can go without spending anything" on this game development educational vid.

#30 vortmax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNorman, OK

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

The only think preventing me from buying the FS-9 pack is the 30 days of *Activated* time. I'm in a bit of a time crunch for the next week, and may not have 30 days of continuous playtime to use it.

#31 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

View PostKoniving, on 21 May 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

I wish they didn't throw the hero into the bundle. Makes me feel like I wasted my money getting heroes on their own.

Yeh is a bit rubbish.. ..if only their marketing team wised onto this earlier....

#32 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 21 May 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

Perhaps one day they will wise up and allow people to gift mechs to other players and you could give the second one to someone else.

^This, what MWO really needs is some type of "market" system like on STEAM, i.e. Counter Strike Global Offensive.

A market where PLAYERS can price THEIR OWN mechs to their choosings - and even gift mechs to friends/teammates.

But obviously, if they it took them so long to implement a usable GUI for the mech lab, and the one currently is regarded as broken/garbage, this may very well be a "dream" that won't exists until the year 2020 or will never happen at all.

So unfortunate.

#33 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

View PostKoniving, on 21 May 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

Basically it's a permanent "50% off" of everything those of us spent full price on.

Brilliant, isn't it?

Needless to say including the hero into it is upsetting. I won't say much else.

I paid half for my Ember, learned my lesson when Heroes first started going half-off and I felt punked for paying full price shortly before. When I shop at Costco I know if it goes on sale w/in a couple of weeks of my trip, I can get the difference refunded, not so much with this service. So no heroes at full price ever again. No champions at full price either, so basically these bundles lose almost their entire MC savings up front with me.

View PostAppogee, on 21 May 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

I disagree, while yes there are a lot of players with very large inventories that would liquidate, PGI would make more from me and many like me as we gifted mechs and mechbays tofriends to help them get into the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users