BattleMechs Gameplay General

25 replies to this topic

#1 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

Do any of the following have an in game effect?

Life Support
Sensors
Shoulder
Upper Arm Actuator
Lower Arm Actuator
Hand Actuator
Hip
Upper Leg Actuator
Lower Leg Actuator
Foot Actuator
Gyros

Or are they just padded crits?
Could not find specific answer searching.

#2 Valkyrie Brynhildr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 343 posts
  • LocationHall of the Valkyries

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:30 PM

Life Support keeps you alive in harsh environments.
Sensors let you target things.
Shoulders are...shoulders.
Upper arm actuators let you move your arms up and down.
Lower Arm actuators let you move your arms left and right.
Hand actuators let you move the hands but have no use in the game.
Leg actuators pretty much let you move.
Gyros keep your mech balanced.

#3 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:30 PM

They are padded crit spots from the Table Top rules. Most have no effect in MWO, possible exception is the cockpit in the head. I have been killed by 'cockpit destroyed' before but it could be just a generic message about the head as well.

#4 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:57 PM

I'm assuming you're asking if they have an impact similar to if they are destroyed in the Table Top.

The answer to that is "not yet, but there are plans"

There is a module that gives you an "Enhanced Gyro" that's ment to lessen camera shake from incoming fire.

Other than that, these have no effect. Things I'd like to see implimented however are the following:

Cockpit hits have a chance to start various cockpit issues. Smoke/electricity crackling across the cockpit, just various "Distraction" techniques once the cockpit has been breached.

Gyro hits should cause additional limping and "shake" to the mech while moving. Something of a stuttering movement.

Destruction of Actuators should freeze a component in place along said actuator lines.

The ability to freeze up a leg/hip by taking out the gyro. [essentially causing the limping animation a bit early if you're lucky.]

By all means, I'd be ok with those things, make them rare events... a whole 1% chance or something, but even at that level, that gives an added effect to the battlefield and another worry for pilots to think about.

#5 Squirtbox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 22 May 2014 - 05:57 PM, said:

I'm assuming you're asking if they have an impact similar to if they are destroyed in the Table Top.

The answer to that is "not yet, but there are plans"

There is a module that gives you an "Enhanced Gyro" that's ment to lessen camera shake from incoming fire.

Other than that, these have no effect. Things I'd like to see implimented however are the following:

Cockpit hits have a chance to start various cockpit issues. Smoke/electricity crackling across the cockpit, just various "Distraction" techniques once the cockpit has been breached.

Gyro hits should cause additional limping and "shake" to the mech while moving. Something of a stuttering movement.

Destruction of Actuators should freeze a component in place along said actuator lines.

The ability to freeze up a leg/hip by taking out the gyro. [essentially causing the limping animation a bit early if you're lucky.]

By all means, I'd be ok with those things, make them rare events... a whole 1% chance or something, but even at that level, that gives an added effect to the battlefield and another worry for pilots to think about.

The biggest issue with this is that mechs still die much to quickly for these to really be an issue probably 80% of the time. If there was a higher TTK it might make more sense and have a larger impact similar to TT but currently it would just be a waste of development time in my opinion.

#6 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

Thanks, I was looking this over and thinking about how some effects could carry over while others could be replaced with MWO effects from what I know of MWO.
One other thing, in TT there are ways to the MechWarrior to take up to 5 hits (according to the outdated rules I have) before getting killed, is this simulated or just ignored? I know getting knocked unconscious is not in MWO.

#7 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:16 PM

View PostMerchant, on 22 May 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

Life Support
Sensors
Shoulder
Upper Arm Actuator
Lower Arm Actuator
Hand Actuator
Hip
Upper Leg Actuator
Lower Leg Actuator
Foot Actuator
Gyros

Technically each of those items do something. Realistically only the lower arm actuators have any impact on the game and since they are not removable (at least for IS) the change is just attached as a quirk of the variant.

They can not be damaged though they can soak up critical hits.

Edited by Rouken, 22 May 2014 - 06:49 PM.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:21 PM

Life Support
Sensors
Shoulder
Upper Arm Actuator
Lower Arm Actuator
Hand Actuator
Hip
Upper Leg Actuator
Lower Leg Actuator
Foot Actuator
Gyros

Padded crits.
It was once believed that actuators did have an effect. There were things reported as bugs such as when the left arm of my Catapult K2 was damaged, the ML I stored there would be firing far off to the left (convergence always fired from the left side to WAY right when 'off'; and convergence made all weapons do it not just one. All other weapons were perfectly on target and the laser only started doing it [and continued until destroyed] after some serious hits to the left arm). That left arm had no armor and little stuffed in it, leaving mostly the laser and actuators to get damaged.

There was also another thing also reported as a bug where when legs were damaged with armor removed, it would 'pull' left or right while moving straight (no joysticks), requiring occasional course corrections.

However, these were removed or considered 'fixed'.

Gyros would not likely have a function until knockdowns are restored. A weakened / "destroyed" Gyro would likely result in being easy to topple over.

The others have no function but it would be cool if they did when destroyed.

Edited by Koniving, 22 May 2014 - 06:22 PM.

#9 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostMerchant, on 22 May 2014 - 06:14 PM, said:

Thanks, I was looking this over and thinking about how some effects could carry over while others could be replaced with MWO effects from what I know of MWO.
One other thing, in TT there are ways to the MechWarrior to take up to 5 hits (according to the outdated rules I have) before getting killed, is this simulated or just ignored? I know getting knocked unconscious is not in MWO.

Ignored. If the cockpit get's destroyed, you're dead, that's it.

I'm assuming it's figured that the pilot ejects, but as we have no animation for that...

#10 MrJeffers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

View PostKoniving, on 22 May 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

There was also another thing also reported as a bug where when legs were damaged with armor removed, it would 'pull' left or right while moving straight (no joysticks), requiring occasional course corrections.

I just had this happen tonight in a ShadowHawk, I was constantly doing a left turn - thought it was a bug since I've never had that happen before.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:49 PM

View PostMrJeffers, on 22 May 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

I just had this happen tonight in a ShadowHawk, I was constantly doing a left turn - thought it was a bug since I've never had that happen before.

This doesn't normally happen; hasn't since closed beta. You're getting my hopes up for a game with depth. Don't do that.
Check for a joystick or a stuck key.

#12 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:58 PM

we dont even have engine hits... for 10 additional heat

in my first game i was wondering what critical did i get, looking at monitors... some time after i just realized thare is nothing like this in MWO, just nothing, and monitors of course show nothing as well

#13 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 22 May 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

we dont even have engine hits... for 10 additional heat

in my first game i was wondering what critical did i get, looking at monitors... some time after i just realized thare is nothing like this in MWO, just nothing, and monitors of course show nothing as well

That is the question I wanted to ask but forgot.
Engine Shielding.
First Engine crit did 1 point damage to Shielding.
Second did 1 point to Shielding.
This is not simulated?

#14 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

I think that all they do right now is let weapons that roll a crit on a location have something to apply damage to, which in this case only matters because 15% gets kicked back into your Internal Structure.

#15 John Archer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 402 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:41 PM

View PostSquirtbox, on 22 May 2014 - 06:12 PM, said:

The biggest issue with this is that mechs still die much to quickly for these to really be an issue probably 80% of the time. If there was a higher TTK it might make more sense and have a larger impact similar to TT but currently it would just be a waste of development time in my opinion.

I believe Russ Bollock mentioned that he wants to see battlemechs live longer. I am assuming than what they currently do.

#16 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

Yeah - no effect in-game, but it would have been cool to be in a wobbly mech if your gyro takes a hit, or have your heat spiking everywhere, or have your speed cut in half by an engine hit, etc. Missed opportunity, but hey: we're still fighting it out in giant stompy robots...

#17 Squirtbox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

View PostJohn Archer, on 22 May 2014 - 09:41 PM, said:

I believe Russ Bollock mentioned that he wants to see battlemechs live longer. I am assuming than what they currently do.

If that is the case PGI needs to very seriously consider using some of the ideas currently put forth by people such as Koniving in regards to weapon balance and change.

#18 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:35 PM

Life Support
Sensors
Shoulder
Upper Arm Actuator
Lower Arm Actuator
Hand Actuator
Hip
Upper Leg Actuator
Lower Leg Actuator
Foot Actuator
Gyros

Soon™

#19 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:01 PM

It's worth noting that while there's no in-game effect to those being destroyed, mechs without arm actuators have reduced or no lateral range.

E.g. The YLW has 0* arm twist and 120* torso twist instead of the other Centurions' 40* arm twist and 100* torso twist before accounting for efficiencies.

#20 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:28 AM

View PostMerchant, on 22 May 2014 - 07:10 PM, said:

That is the question I wanted to ask but forgot.
Engine Shielding.
First Engine crit did 1 point damage to Shielding.
Second did 1 point to Shielding.
This is not simulated?

Nope.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users