Is It My Computer Or Is Mwo Poorly Optimized Still?

39 replies to this topic

#1 Luke Garrad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom - Devon

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:48 AM

I can only seem to get 30fps in this game and lower during fights and it makes no difference if the graphics are set to low, I can change it from low to ultra and it makes pretty much no difference maybe only a few more frames. Now Mechwarrior isn't the most good looking game I've played and many other games which look better then this run fine on my PC even games on the same engine run better.

My specs are - AMD FX 8320 8 core clocked at 3.8GHZ -
Radeon HD 7850 2GB ddr5 clocked at 910MHz and memory 1200MHz - (http://www.club-3d.c...-royalking.html)
8GB RAM

(Results from can you run it http://i.imgur.com/RyqkCNF.png?1?8333)

I haven't got a top of the range computer anymore but it covers the specs required for the game. Am I the only one with this issue?

Before people ask. Yes I have updated drivers and my computer is clean from any malicious threats, lastly I have tried repairing the game, reinstalling and clearing shaders folder.

Edited by Luke Garrad, 25 May 2014 - 03:40 AM.

#2 Blue Boutique

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 481 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:24 AM

Are you running Direct X 11 or 9?

#3 Luke Garrad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom - Devon

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:40 AM

View PostBlue Boutique, on 25 May 2014 - 03:24 AM, said:

Are you running Direct X 11 or 9?

Tried both but I run at 9

So far I've tested the game at lowest resolution changing between Very High and Low and they both have the same frame rate which makes no sense. What confuses me even more is that spectating players while dead increases the FPS.

#4 Kh0rn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:16 AM

I have the same issue as far as I know apparently our systems are too powerful and the game does not use multi thread optimization from what I told I suffer the same my PC is on par with yours and I get the same issue.

If you go into the game and Press Shift +F11 it disables the HUD and there you wil lsee a 10-15 FPS increase the hud alone is eating fps.

Edited by Kh0rn, 25 May 2014 - 04:17 AM.

#5 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:30 AM

I'd wager the issue is in your Catalyst Control Panel. My old PC, which was an old AMD quad core 3ghz with a Radeon HD5870 ran the game easily at upwards of 40 fps on Mid - high settings.

I'm not really sure what causes it, but setting the 3D Standard Settings off the System Tray icon to anything but Balanced leads to massive FPS drops and invisible 'Mechs and terrain.
Make sure your CCP settings are all set to "application managed".
Wouldn't hurt to grab the latest beta drivers also.

#6 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:42 AM

Don't run ATI? LOL

#7 Sgt Minuteman

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:27 AM

Memory (RAM) 16384 MB CPU Info AMD Phenom™ II X6 1045T Processor CPU Speed 2709.9 MHz

Display

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 | Screen Resolution

1680 X 1050 Motherboard *
ASUSTeK
CG1330

My system runs it fine on DX9

#8 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:38 AM

View PostSgt Minuteman, on 25 May 2014 - 05:27 AM, said:

Memory (RAM) 16384 MB CPU Info AMD Phenom™ II X6 1045T Processor CPU Speed 2709.9 MHz

Display

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 | Screen Resolution

1680 X 1050 Motherboard *
ASUSTeK
CG1330

My system runs it fine on DX9

Much like my old system
i7 920 2.6 ghz
twin 460gtx
16gb ram @1333

ran the game fine on a mix of low/high settings with 60+ frames.

I equate it mostly to the fact of Nvida cards can handle the cry eng far better then ATI cards can. As every thread that had cropped up about this, has been from an ATI user.

#9 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:04 AM

Can't really comment about amd... been an Intel nvidia fan boy since forever.

#10 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:50 AM

Turn everything to application managed in catalyst control center (you should always do this anyway). Forcing anything on from that causes a variety of problems including low framerate.

You should be getting substantially higher FPS than that. I used to have a 1GB 6950 and easily got 60FPS constantly at 1920x1200 with no AA but everything else maxed.

I've seen people report that sometimes MWO isn't using more than one core of the FX series processors. I'd check if that's what's causing your problem, though i don't know how you'd fix it.

#11 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

View PostLuke Garrad, on 25 May 2014 - 02:48 AM, said:

AMD

The answer is both. The game isn't optimized well for AMD. MWO isn't coded for the way AMD uses multiple cores.

There are several threads on this. The solution is to disable the odd-numbered core and adjust your user.cfg.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

View PostSirLANsalot, on 25 May 2014 - 05:38 AM, said:

Much like my old system
i7 920 2.6 ghz
twin 460gtx
16gb ram @1333

ran the game fine on a mix of low/high settings with 60+ frames.

I equate it mostly to the fact of Nvida cards can handle the cry eng far better then ATI cards can. As every thread that had cropped up about this, has been from an ATI user.

So my i5-4670 (3.40ghz), EVGA Nvidia GeForce 760 running on 32 gb of Patriot RAM has been having issues the last 2 months due to ATI............?

Dang. Wonder how that happened.

#13 Silentium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 629 posts
  • LocationA fortified bunker in the mojave desert.

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:18 AM

I have an all AMD set-up, so I can't compare, but the AMD drivers are basically ****. I spend so much time trying to get it right, and this goes for more than MWO. That said, even when it is working, I slideshow from time to time, or notice scan lines (especially during the start-up sequence).

#14 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

AMD card, no problems. Pulling 2560*1440 with settings optimized for maximum visibility. I get 60fps stable on a 7950.

It is true however cryengine favours nv cards a just a bit ~5%. But things like that can change with any engine update, feature, or driver update. Shame there won't be no mantle here like other cry games... :o

On topic, yes, it is pretty poorly optimized, and the hud eating so many billions of instructions up for a few fairly simple shapes just blows my mind in a negative way.

Edited by Chavette, 25 May 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

View PostChavette, on 25 May 2014 - 09:00 AM, said:

AMD card, no problems. Pulling 2560*1440 with settings optimized for maximum visibility. I get 60fps stable on a 7950.

It is true however cryengine favours nv cards a just a bit ~5%. But things like that can change with any engine update, feature, or driver update. Shame there won't be no mantle here like other cry games... :unsure:

On topic, yes, it is pretty poorly optimized, and the hud eating so many billions of instructions up for a few fairly simple shapes just blows my mind in a negative way.

well, look at that insignia on the page bottom between the PGI and IGP banners, and the "Language" Box. I mean....it is kinda expected there should be SOME leaning toward Nvidia? :o

#16 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

View PostChavette, on 25 May 2014 - 09:00 AM, said:

It is true however cryengine favours nv cards a just a bit ~5%. But things like that can change with any engine update, feature, or driver update. Shame there won't be no mantle here like other cry games... :o

Do you have an Intel CPU ?

A lot of guys with AMD CPUs complain about low FPS, regardless of the GFX Card they use.
Intel has some fine CPUs that run real fast if the application doesn't use all core on the same level.

It's fun if you have an old Phenom II 965 and can run Battlefield 4 at 60fps, but MWO is crawling with 30...

#17 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

In the end it's the game.

Runs smooth for me, 50-70 fps when there's no weapons fog, then it drops down to 15-20 fps for a short time (GTX570).

But this shouldn't happen. And if you think about it, this is cryengine 3, a really good scaling engine and what can this engine show in visual fidelity and effects. And now look what they make out of it, what little they use and the game still runs poor on some machines.

Damn I mis closed beta and those effects...

#18 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

Posted Image

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3394675

Try reading the proper forum next time. ;)

#19 The Mad Katter

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

And how does your AMD post matter to my Intel/Nvidia based machine, that's also seen performance go from 50+ FPS to sub 30 lately?

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

View Post627, on 25 May 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

In the end it's the game.

Runs smooth for me, 50-70 fps when there's no weapons fog, then it drops down to 15-20 fps for a short time (GTX570).

But this shouldn't happen. And if you think about it, this is cryengine 3, a really good scaling engine and what can this engine show in visual fidelity and effects. And now look what they make out of it, what little they use and the game still runs poor on some machines.

Damn I mis closed beta and those effects...

sadly, part of it is they are using it effects capabilities to use EXTRA resources to end up giving us worse fidelity. Because "immersion" is the rule of cool. Thing is, if you are just gonna obscure everything with fog, cockpit glass, etc...... then you don't need the underlying stuff as highly defined to begin with.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users