Is It My Computer Or Is Mwo Poorly Optimized Still?

39 replies to this topic

#21 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

My i5 4670k @ 4.0ghz with radeon 6950 gets 60-70 fps pretty solid with dx11. On high settings.

Edited by ninjitsu, 25 May 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#22 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:15 PM

View PostRagna Rokker, on 25 May 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

And how does your AMD post matter to my Intel/Nvidia based machine, that's also seen performance go from 50+ FPS to sub 30 lately?

A ) OP was asking about AMD, so I guess it don't

B ) Teh linked post ain't mine

So quit crying in the wrong forum and go look up some tweaks …

Nikolai is wise

Edited by Goose, 27 May 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#23 Xyroc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 855 posts
  • LocationFighting the Clan Invasion

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

View PostLuke Garrad, on 25 May 2014 - 02:48 AM, said:

I can only seem to get 30fps in this game and lower during fights and it makes no difference if the graphics are set to low, I can change it from low to ultra and it makes pretty much no difference maybe only a few more frames. Now Mechwarrior isn't the most good looking game I've played and many other games which look better then this run fine on my PC even games on the same engine run better.

My specs are - AMD FX 8320 8 core clocked at 3.8GHZ -
Radeon HD 7850 2GB ddr5 clocked at 910MHz and memory 1200MHz - (http://www.club-3d.c...-royalking.html)
8GB RAM

(Results from can you run it http://i.imgur.com/RyqkCNF.png?1?8333)

I haven't got a top of the range computer anymore but it covers the specs required for the game. Am I the only one with this issue?

Before people ask. Yes I have updated drivers and my computer is clean from any malicious threats, lastly I have tried repairing the game, reinstalling and clearing shaders folder.

Yes

#24 Kazma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationGermany - Leipzig

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

MWO simply doesn't go well with AMD FX Cores somehow. My PC should at least be able to get MWO at constant 60 fps, but I'm also running 30-40 frames or sometimes worse on lowest settings with tweaked ini's.
There are a lot of people having the same problem and after asking the MWO Support they say its a known issue.

#25 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

View PostAlreech, on 25 May 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

It's fun if you have an old Phenom II 965 and can run Battlefield 4 at 60fps, but MWO is crawling with 30...

This... Overclocked Phenom II 955 BE & GeForce GTX 580. Getting 60 FPS most games but MWO drops my FPS down to 20 every now and then. I'm forced to upgrade my rig because the game can be unplayable with heat vision on some maps (for example Frozen City where you can't see anything without heat vision because of the dynamic weather effects).

#26 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

for anyone it is IMPORTANT that you update your drivers, for not only your card, but your Mobo too.

Edited by SirLANsalot, 25 May 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#27 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

View PostSirLANsalot, on 25 May 2014 - 05:52 PM, said:

for anyone it is IMPORTANT that you update your drivers, for not only your card, but your Mobo too.

all up to date. check weekly. also optimize my pc weekly.

#28 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:03 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 May 2014 - 05:55 PM, said:

all up to date. check weekly. also optimize my pc weekly.

Thats always good hear.

Another key thing that ALOT of people seem to never check.

You can have epic hardware but still get poor performance because of background programs running (eating ram and CPU time). Also your hard drive dose play small part in running even after loading the map, every little bit counts.

Ensure you do not have any social programs running the BG, or any other programs, like dropbox or craptunes (I mean iTunes). Spyware/malware and viruses also play a part in preform ace drops.

#29 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:07 PM

View PostSirLANsalot, on 25 May 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

Thats always good hear.

Another key thing that ALOT of people seem to never check.

You can have epic hardware but still get poor performance because of background programs running (eating ram and CPU time). Also your hard drive dose play small part in running even after loading the map, every little bit counts.

Ensure you do not have any social programs running the BG, or any other programs, like dropbox or craptunes (I mean iTunes). Spyware/malware and viruses also play a part in preform ace drops.

good points.

And probably are germane for most of the issues. (and yeah, nothing like Itunes bruteforcing it's update status box into whatever you are trying to do). My case it actually is, to the best of ability to track, server/asp overload issues on IGP end. Have had conversation with literally dozens of people running into the same thing, literally all starting with the same patch 6-8 weeks ago now. Off peak times, things are usualyl OK, but once server traffic picks up, CTD after CTD, IF I can actually even log on at all.

Drives me nuts as literally the only 2 games I cannot access at those times are MWO and MWT. I can immediately log into Pirates of the Burning Sea, The Old Republic, and any other online title you want to name (TitanFall, Hawken.... usually CTD myself when I remember how MEH it is), etc.

It's really getting old, lol. (though one other possible is that my traceroute goes through one of the USA's big 6 Networks, the ones who have been throttling their customers, and recently busted for doing it, though amazingly that story got swept under the carpet fast)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 25 May 2014 - 06:08 PM.

#30 Dakkath

• 1,980 posts
  • LocationG-14 Classified

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

I have an I7, SSD drive, 16GB ram, GTX 770, on DX11 very high settings and I get 50-80 FPS, depending on whether or not there is action/mechs on screen.

i get 75-100+ FPS w/DX9,

Funny thing is though as soon as I spectate after dying, the FPS immediately jumps 30FPS. The HUD is just killing performance.

Edited by Dakkath, 25 May 2014 - 07:29 PM.

#31 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

View PostDakkath, on 25 May 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

I have an I7, SSD drive, 16GB ram, GTX 770, on DX11 very high settings and I get 50-80 FPS, depending on whether or not there is action/mechs on screen.

i get 75-100+ FPS w/DX9,

Funny thing is though as soon as I spectate after dying, the FPS immediately jumps 30FPS. The HUD is just killing performance.

same. Also get about 30 fps more pre-contact, but expect that.

#32 Harmatia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 434 posts
  • LocationRed Deer, AB

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

View PostSirLANsalot, on 25 May 2014 - 04:42 AM, said:

Don't run ATI? LOL

I've actually heard that a lot more than I should have. LOL. ;)

#33 Fooooo

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:43 AM

Interesting.

I'd take the advice of the ppl who were saying things about CCC and whatever about the cores thing and cryengine with amd etc.

My cpu is decent but my gpu is not anymore.........

i7 4770k + a 275GTX and I get 60fps pretty much constantly...(gpu doesn't go over about 60% usage really)..running mostly all med settings with some things changed to lower spec via CFG. (IE running high object setting in game but using the cfg to turn down some of the object stuff I don't want to set at high as it drops my fps , same with particles and shadows etc)

You should really be getting to 60fps (probably not on all high etc) with that rig from what I have looked up.......(your vid card is better than my 275gtx i think??)

Edited by Fooooo, 26 May 2014 - 01:45 AM.

#34 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:54 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 May 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:

good points.

And probably are germane for most of the issues. (and yeah, nothing like Itunes bruteforcing it's update status box into whatever you are trying to do). My case it actually is, to the best of ability to track, server/asp overload issues on IGP end. Have had conversation with literally dozens of people running into the same thing, literally all starting with the same patch 6-8 weeks ago now. Off peak times, things are usualyl OK, but once server traffic picks up, CTD after CTD, IF I can actually even log on at all.

Drives me nuts as literally the only 2 games I cannot access at those times are MWO and MWT. I can immediately log into Pirates of the Burning Sea, The Old Republic, and any other online title you want to name (TitanFall, Hawken.... usually CTD myself when I remember how MEH it is), etc.

It's really getting old, lol. (though one other possible is that my traceroute goes through one of the USA's big 6 Networks, the ones who have been throttling their customers, and recently busted for doing it, though amazingly that story got swept under the carpet fast)

iTunes is a piece of junk anyways and should never EVER be used on a gaming computer. It has like 4 BG proceses that run, and 3 of them run even when iTunes isn't running. It eats ram like a boss and some CPU ticks too, add in anything else running and you have yourself a bogged down computer.

All I ever have running the BG is my Firewall (duh) Anti Virus (another duh) Steam (its ok) and a few system things that run my KB/mouse, oh and FRAPS.

Now not everything in the BG is listed on the Taskbar, but it IS a place to start, because anything beyond what I listed there probably should be exited.

#35 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:22 AM

View PostSirLANsalot, on 26 May 2014 - 01:54 AM, said:

iTunes is a piece of junk anyways and should never EVER be used on a gaming computer. It has like 4 BG proceses that run, and 3 of them run even when iTunes isn't running. It eats ram like a boss and some CPU ticks too, add in anything else running and you have yourself a bogged down computer.

All I ever have running the BG is my Firewall (duh) Anti Virus (another duh) Steam (its ok) and a few system things that run my KB/mouse, oh and FRAPS.

Now not everything in the BG is listed on the Taskbar, but it IS a place to start, because anything beyond what I listed there probably should be exited.

Yup. Task Manager for running processes FTW.

#36 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:33 AM

View PostLuke Garrad, on 25 May 2014 - 02:48 AM, said:

I can only seem to get 30fps in this game and lower during fights and it makes no difference if the graphics are set to low, I can change it from low to ultra and it makes pretty much no difference maybe only a few more frames. Now Mechwarrior isn't the most good looking game I've played and many other games which look better then this run fine on my PC even games on the same engine run better.

My specs are - AMD FX 8320 8 core clocked at 3.8GHZ -
Radeon HD 7850 2GB ddr5 clocked at 910MHz and memory 1200MHz - (http://www.club-3d.c...-royalking.html)
8GB RAM

(Results from can you run it http://i.imgur.com/RyqkCNF.png?1?8333)

I haven't got a top of the range computer anymore but it covers the specs required for the game. Am I the only one with this issue?

Before people ask. Yes I have updated drivers and my computer is clean from any malicious threats, lastly I have tried repairing the game, reinstalling and clearing shaders folder.

Some folks have reported performance issues with the FX8 series processors possibly related to the architecture and the presence of only one floating point module for each module of two processors. MWO does a lot of calculation for the HUD and other graphical elements before the GPU gets involved. The post I read indicated that the user saw a 20 to 30% performances increase on and FX8320 when they turned off the odd numbered cores (i.e. turn off one core/module). You might also be able to get the same effect by using the set core affinity option in Windows.

Some folks also saw some improvements by tweaking settings related to drawing the HUD. I can't find the post right now but you could search for cryengine config file settings. The config file is accessible and can be edited.

Edit: Just for reference I typically get about 30 to 40 fps with a Phenom X4 965 BE (quad core) and a Radeon 6970 graphics card using maxed settings and DX9.

MWO needs multiple cores to work well ... single and dual core performance used to be very poor .. so it is not a mutlicore issue ... it appears that it could be a Bulldozer architecture specific issue.

Edited by Mawai, 26 May 2014 - 05:58 AM.

#37 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:42 PM

View PostMawai, on 26 May 2014 - 05:33 AM, said:

The post I read indicated that the user saw a 20 to 30% performances increase on and FX8320 when they turned off the odd numbered cores (i.e. turn off one core/module). You might also be able to get the same effect by using the set core affinity option in Windows.

Some folks also saw some improvements by tweaking settings related to drawing the HUD. I can't find the post right now but you could search for cryengine config file settings. The config file is accessible and can be edited.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3367057

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3381033

#38 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:12 AM

OP, this game dispise's AMD/ATI for what ever fail reason pgi can give us. anyway OC your 8320 you should easily be able to hit4.4+ ghz. as of late ppl have been losing performance all over the board especially when it comes to heat steam from your mech heating up, and even worse in night or thermal vision. my system (which u can see below) runs this game on very high excpet for 3 settings environment, object detail, particles on high. I avg 48-56 fps per match but occasionally dip to the low 30's when heat steam and thermal/night vision is on.

#39 John Norad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 524 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

@OP: To be honest I can't answer your question (thread title).

But I'll put it this way:
They haven't yet touched programming CW.
How likely does that make putting time into optimization?
So there's still room for hope.

Edited by John Norad, 27 May 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#40 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostAlreech, on 25 May 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

Do you have an Intel CPU ?

A lot of guys with AMD CPUs complain about low FPS, regardless of the GFX Card they use.
Intel has some fine CPUs that run real fast if the application doesn't use all core on the same level.

It's fun if you have an old Phenom II 965 and can run Battlefield 4 at 60fps, but MWO is crawling with 30...

Yes I have i7-2600.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users