Unable To Hit Targets

18 replies to this topic

#1 DaSilvor

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationGreat Yarmouth, UK

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:58 AM

Hello Folks,

Although I have a founder mech, I have only just started to play and am having real trouble hitting targets with lasers etc. It is just so hard to keep the targeting reticule on the mech. I move the mouse a fraction and it just overshoots the target, so that all I get is a straffing shot. How can I slow the movement down so that I can fine control the targetting, please?

Yes, I do use the R button for targetting which works well for the LRMs, but my lasers may as well not be there, for all the good I can do with them.

I have searched but can't find anything about this subject, so if this has been discussed before, then I apologise and would appreciate it if somebody could point me to the thread in question.

DaSilvor

Edited by DaSilvor, 25 May 2014 - 04:59 AM.

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:08 AM

Use the 1st person view. The default 3rd person view makes aiming very hard, and is generally only there to help with learning controls.You can switch views using F4 by default, or permanently disable 3PV in game settings.

Lower your mouse sensitivity, disable acceleration and smoothing. This is available directly in game settings.

Disable the arm lock option and learn to lead with the arms. Directly moving the entire torso in unwieldy.

#3 Raigner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fang
  • The Fang
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAlabama, USA

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:16 AM

Open your main mechwarrior online folder the one with all the other folders and find a document called user.cfg, if there is not one the open note pad and make one put this in it, and then save it as [user.cfg] without the brackets.

cl_fov = 90
i_mouse_smooth = 0
i_mouse_accel = 0
i_mouse_accel_max = 0
cl_sensitivity = 0.5
gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass=1 (off/on)
r_DepthOfField=0
r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0

Then place it in your main mechewarrior online directory and restart your client.

This will turn off mouse auto smoothing and acceleration. From there your can adjust your mouse sensitivity from you control pannle mouse options on your computer, the game will not help you anymore, also save a copy of user.cfg in your documents so that you do not lose it if you delete your client.

The FOV option is your field of view, 90 is the maximum and 65 (I believe) is the minimum, the bigger the number the farther back your characters head will sit in the cockpit, At normal it looks like your character is pushing his face up to the glass, so now you can fill like you are driving a mech instead of being the mech, it will also increase your peripheral vision, and awareness in some chassis.The depth of field, HDR grain, and cockpit glass are also graphical touches that will obfuscate object detail at a distance, i left cockpit glass on because i like it but fill free to turn it off by changing the one to a 0, same for turning any of those options back on change the zero to a 1, this will also improve your frame rate slightly by turning them off.

Hope that helps solve your problem.

(And yes this is fully supported by the devs. You will not get in trouble as they have limiters in place to limit what you can and cannot change with the user.cfg and by how much.)

Edited by raigner, 25 May 2014 - 07:12 AM.

#4 DaSilvor

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for the help folks, but it hasn't made any difference, the game is unplayable for me.

For some reason all the games are now at night, so now I've got mechs appearing out of nowhere right in front of me and I'm dead before I can target or hit them. I've tried using the N and /or H keys, but it has made no difference.

Back to World Of Tanks, I think.

DaSilvor

#5 Wildger

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:33 AM

There is a learning curve to use the lasers. Everyone went through the same difficulty. This is simply no short cut. My advise is to use the pulse lasers first. Once you get better, switch back to regular lasers. Having said that, you will have a hard time hitting the fast light mechs with regualr lasers no matter how good you are. Pulse lasers or AC are better to deal with them.

#6 John Archer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 402 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

View PostDaSilvor, on 25 May 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

Thanks for the help folks, but it hasn't made any difference, the game is unplayable for me.

For some reason all the games are now at night, so now I've got mechs appearing out of nowhere right in front of me and I'm dead before I can target or hit them. I've tried using the N and /or H keys, but it has made no difference.

Back to World Of Tanks, I think.

DaSilvor

Do you have a programmable mouse? Like a Razer mouse? If so, do you use the game manufacturers software to keep the mouse updated? Example: send macro's to it, save mouse button layouts, etc.? If so.. slow the mouse speed down via their software.

Razer uses Razer Synapse. (Which I no longer run. It was actually impeding my gaming by interfering with my I/O).

#7 Raigner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fang
  • The Fang
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAlabama, USA

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

Sounds to me like you are having lag issues, i take it you do not live in America or Canada, Germans in particular have issues with MWO entirely due to distance, if not what is you ping and speeds in mwo? try speedtest.net and pingtest.net make sure you pick a server in British Columbia or Vancouver Canada as that's were the servers are. finally your graphics my be too high for your PC, as your issues that you are describing really to me sound frame rate related or latency related,
My latency generally sits at 700 ms as i play on a satellite connection, i experience some rubber banding issues every once in a while, but if your ping is below that you should be fine with host state rewind in play.

The best advince i can give at this ont that hasent allredy been givne is cut everthing thats using bandwidth other then MWO, and close all uneecery programs other then MWO and set your graphics options to medium or low, if your fps is still below 16 frames per second after doing all that then yes you probably should not play MWO until you upgrade your PC you wont be having a great time.

Hope your problems get fixed and you can enjoy MWO for what it is worth.

#8 I C Wiener

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

View Postraigner, on 25 May 2014 - 06:16 AM, said:

i_mouse_smooth = 0
i_mouse_accel = 0
i_mouse_accel_max = 0
cl_sensitivity = 0.5

These options are actually available ingame now and I don't think the respective user.cfg commands still work (at least not for me).

#9 DaSilvor

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

Hello Folks,

John, I'm not using a programmable mouse, just a bog standard two button and wheel job.

Raigner, my ping is generally around 130 to 150ms, but I'm not in North America, I'm in the UK. As a comparison my ping on WOT is less than a 100ms, but their server is in Europe. I'm on high speed broadband, so I'd be surprised if bandwidth was the problem. I do not know what my frame rate is, but to be honest this problem is similar to what I've experienced before with graphics hardware not being up to the job. How do I find out what my frame rate is, please?

I'll be gutted if it is hardware related. I have always enjoyed mechwarrior games and was really looking forward to this version.

Cheers
DaSilvor

#10 I C Wiener

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

View PostDaSilvor, on 25 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

How do I find out what my frame rate is, please?

"F9" when in game

#11 Raigner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fang
  • The Fang
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAlabama, USA

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:50 AM

I used a third party software suite to monater my frame rate when i need too, both over wolf obtainable threw team speak 3, and MSI Afterburner have built in frame rate montering software, as for in game i believe there is a way, ill look and edit if i find something, also if you like world of tanks, you may also want to give Warthunder a shot as well, they just recently added a tank mode that i think you might enjoy if MWO dose not work out for you.

View PostI C Wiener, on 25 May 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

"F9" when in game

Well then there ya go.

#12 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

View PostI C Wiener, on 25 May 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

These options are actually available ingame now and I don't think the respective user.cfg commands still work (at least not for me).

They should. 2 or 3 patches ago user.cfg was set as the last configuration file to look up. All settings from it should override whatever you did in the client. If they do not, then there is a bug.

#13 Raigner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fang
  • The Fang
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAlabama, USA

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

View PostDaSilvor, on 25 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

Hello Folks,

John, I'm not using a programmable mouse, just a bog standard two button and wheel job.

Raigner, my ping is generally around 130 to 150ms, but I'm not in North America, I'm in the UK. As a comparison my ping on WOT is less than a 100ms, but their server is in Europe. I'm on high speed broadband, so I'd be surprised if bandwidth was the problem. I do not know what my frame rate is, but to be honest this problem is similar to what I've experienced before with graphics hardware not being up to the job. How do I find out what my frame rate is, please?

I'll be gutted if it is hardware related. I have always enjoyed mechwarrior games and was really looking forward to this version.

Cheers
DaSilvor

I am cerrently playing, on a laptop with AMD HD Radion integrated 4000 sires graphics card, 6 gigs of ram, and a 1.5 quad core CPU, and though the game dose run below 30FPS its not that bad ether, my graphics options are Direct x 9 with everything turned to low except things related to anti allesing and textures, it significantly improved performance on my aging machine, if you are having a hardware issue it is likely going to be in your processor or RAM, MWO is a processor heavy game and dose not really work the GPU that much, so a graphics card upgrade might not help you that much.

#14 Wrathful-Khan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

Could be arm lock? Weapons mounted on the arms tend to "swing" more than weapons mounted on the torso. You can try turning armlock (Arms and torso move together) on in your options menu and see if that helps. Also you could try playing in "testing grounds" for awhile to work on your marksmanship?

#15 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:08 PM

it sounds like you are going through some issues..

learning curve, like people mentioned, the game takes a lot of learning.. My first 100 matches i died with in 2-3 mins most matches... learn to use cover, and don't rush.. (i still screw this up from time to time)

stick with larger mechs.. they will take fire...

try playing a 55 ton medium mech.. they are a great combo of speed and loadout..

learn to torso twist to spread damage..

If you are having issues aiming, try lowering the graphic settings, i play at the lowest setting it can go and get around 30+ FPS.. it helps a ton

LRM's, and streaks are great weapons for people that don't seam to have the knack for keeping on target..

Pulse lasers are much better IMO.. though not as much range, i hit more often, and do more damage..

Using an AC-20 can be a great thing, AC-10 is another great weapon.. Low amount of ammo, so you take your time, and make shots count much easier than trying to keep on target for a full second..

#16 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

No one has said it yet so I will add this here: For support issues beyond what we can suggest, try emailing support@mwomercs.com. They will respond within a couple of days (M-F). Tell them what your problem is in as much detail as you can. Include your dxdiag file as they will likely ask for it anyway.

#17 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:07 PM

Greetings all,

Reference the mouse movement speed:

Depending on the mouse you have and it's manufacturer, it should have specific drivers and programs associated with it. Don't depend on Ms providing the drivers, as there's are generic and cover most brands.

- The manufactures drivers may also contain add on programs that may allow for assigning special functions to some of the options of the mouse, as well as give you options to speed up or slow down the tracking speed and the DPI of the mouse to on screen movement.
- Check the brand and model of your mouse at the manufactures site, check under support or drivers for the current set for your mouse.
- Once you've installed the program, open it and set the DPI or movement speed for something your comfortable with, you may even be able to set different 'Profiles' that will allow you to change to a slower movement when your playing MWO.
- If the mouse has a changeable 'Polling Rate' or 'Reporting Rate' set it to something between 3/4 to highest rate as that will update how fast the mouse knows where it is moving and enhances precision. (see the first image for example)

There are many mice available on the market, that have 'instant' changeable DPI, or 'on the fly' controls that allow for slowing down or speeding up the movement ratio while in a game. I have one and it allows me to instantly change to faster movement when turning my torso and 'tapping' down for slow movement snipping.
- I use a Logitech G700s, but that's my choice.

If you don't have a 'gamming' mouse, one that has enhanced tracking and programmable controls, you may want to search what may be available to use. Be wary though as not everything labeled as 'gamming' really is built for that function.

Here's an example image of the settings to have slow speed and quick speed for movement, all with the press of a button, and while in game.
- 200 is really slow and I use 1300 for normal movement.

Posted Image

Here's the default setting's window for your mouse speed, this changes the speed everywhere and not just in game.

Posted Image

Remember, if you can only have one speed setting, and you want it for aiming, it will also effect the torso turning speed of the Mech if it's slower that the default torso speed.

And as others have stated, within the MWO 'settings' there are controls for the mouse, the bar along the bottom will speed up of slow down the movement associated with the mouse. Try different setting, within the 'training grounds' and get the feeling for what you want.

Good luck,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 25 May 2014 - 04:23 PM.

#18 DaSilvor

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

First of all thank you to everyone who has replied to my message and tried to help.

I pressed F9 in game and got a frame rate of between 10 and 15 FPS. Now in WOT that is nowhere near enough and I'm guessing it is the same here. I have already dropped all the graphics setting to as low as possible, and am about to try reducing the resolution on the screen.
Raigner - My laptop is a lenovo E525 using an AMD Liano A8 3500m running at 1.5ghz with 4 Gb ram. I suspect all my troubles (beyond my inexperience in the game) are stemming from this.

As I said before, Thank you all for your help

DaSilvor

#19 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

View PostDaSilvor, on 26 May 2014 - 11:07 AM, said:

First of all thank you to everyone who has replied to my message and tried to help.

I pressed F9 in game and got a frame rate of between 10 and 15 FPS.

that is your issue then... I had major issues when they went from 8 man, to 12 man drops last summer.. My frames dropped to that, and basically made the game unplayable.

a few months later with better optimization, i now get around 25-30.. and it was like i could finally aim again.

your best bet, is to use Streak weapons, or LRM's, or try long range sniping.. outside of that, only upgrading your system, or spending about 500 bucks to build a nice desktop.. and you can run the game no problem. that is if you have the extra cash...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users