- - - - -

The 'ask Me Anything' Poll

101 replies to this topic

Poll: AMA Debriefing (535 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you be interested in seeing more Reddit AMA events?

1. Voted Yes (332 votes [62.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.06%

2. Neutral (116 votes [21.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.68%

3. No (87 votes [16.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.26%

Would you be interested in seeing a "Get To Know The Devs" event? (Less focused on the game and more on the people behind the process.)

1. Voted Yes (199 votes [37.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.20%

2. Neutral (192 votes [35.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.89%

3. No (144 votes [26.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

Would you be interested in seeing more Dev Vlogs?

1. Voted Yes (347 votes [65.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.23%

2. Neutral (107 votes [20.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.11%

3. No (78 votes [14.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.66%

Would you be interested in seeing more Behind the Scenes Tweets of the Studio?

1. Voted Yes (229 votes [43.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.05%

2. Neutral (164 votes [30.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.83%

3. No (139 votes [26.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.13%

Would you be interested in seeing more Command Chair posts?

1. Voted Yes (463 votes [91.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 91.87%

2. Neutral (18 votes [3.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

3. No (23 votes [4.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.56%

Would you be interested in seeing more fluff like the ISN News Reports?

1. Voted Yes (318 votes [63.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.73%

2. Neutral (110 votes [22.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.04%

3. No (71 votes [14.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:14 AM

View PostTekadept, on 29 May 2014 - 05:55 AM, said:

It already was to a degree dunno if that was "fixed".. maybe they should though , coz funnily enough i read something ages ago the f2p model people who hack end up spending more money on it coz they feel elite, seemed counter to what i thought. Shrug.. must find that article..

The people who hack spend more money on it, but the people who get hacked tend to walk away because who wants to play against hackers? You're sabotaging good customers to support bad ones. Not a good idea in the least.

#82 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:38 AM

View PostHeffay, on 29 May 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

The people who hack spend more money on it, but the people who get hacked tend to walk away because who wants to play against hackers? You're sabotaging good customers to support bad ones. Not a good idea in the least.

Unfortunately, it seems like hackers spend enough money to keep publishers / licensees happy and tolerant. At least that what it looked like from all the blatant botters, wall hackers, etc in a game I used to play on an Asian regional server. Major reason I refuse to play on regional servers in Asia anymore.

#83 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

oh you guys :rolleyes:

It feels like MWO is the only game you've ever played. CS:GO has Client side auth, and while hacking can happen, it's so rare it's not even an issue, and players get banned rather quickly. Of course, because MWO is F2P, it means people can just create another account and hack again. Having an entry cost would have helped in that regard.

Then, you look at Star Citizen. It's mostly speculation right now, but they're going with Client Side Auth until something seems fishy, then they go Server Side Auth if needed.

Planetside 2? Client side Auth. How do you think the server handles thousands of bullet drops/trajectories?

View PostHeffay, on 29 May 2014 - 05:38 AM, said:

:)

It's like you're asking for the game to be hacked.

would be ironic, considering this game is a hack.

Edited by Sybreed, 29 May 2014 - 08:46 AM.

#84 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

CS:GO - player accounts tied to Steam ID or other unique identifier?

Star Citizen - let's re-visit it when they actually have a playable game out

Planetside 2 - Hackers' Paradise ... not absolutely authoritative but sufficiently indicative of a hacking problem?

F2P games have unique challenges when it comes to controlling undesirable player behaviour. Unless PGI plans on making MWO a game with a much larger number of players in a single match, it would seem that client server side auth is the way to go despite it's drawbacks.

Edited by p4r4g0n, 30 May 2014 - 03:08 AM.

#85 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 29 May 2014 - 05:56 AM, said:

There are ways that can be done (I personally like increasing CoF after 75% throttle and 75% heat) but you'd never get people to go along with that.

I like that idea. As a light mech pilot, when going 150+ Kph my aim is already a bit off, so the mis-alignment won't hurt me much anyways. However, I think it would be better if it wasn't percentage based, but rather speed based. For instance, once you're going past 85Kph. That way the slower, more stable assault mechs don't get gimped.

View PostSybreed, on 29 May 2014 - 08:46 AM, said:

oh you guys :huh:

It feels like MWO is the only game you've ever played. CS:GO has Client side auth, and while hacking can happen, it's so rare it's not even an issue, and players get banned rather quickly. Of course, because MWO is F2P, it means people can just create another account and hack again. Having an entry cost would have helped in that regard.

Then, you look at Star Citizen. It's mostly speculation right now, but they're going with Client Side Auth until something seems fishy, then they go Server Side Auth if needed.

Planetside 2? Client side Auth. How do you think the server handles thousands of bullet drops/trajectories?

would be ironic, considering this game is a hack.

Nice examples, but with too many flaws in your examples.

First off, CS:GO, doesn't have to deal with financial transactions like MW:O does. So the players are less likely to be outraged if a hack happens, since they're not investing hundreds of dollars into the game.

Second, CS:GO uses a steam ID anyways for identification.

Plus if MW:O became pay-to-play, it would defeat the purpose of the game, and it would lose a lot of it's player base who don't spend too much money on the game, but the occasional 10+ dollars of premium time/MC. That would all be gone, and it's the real money maker for the game. That guy who dropped 500$ for a gold mech won't be making any transactions for months maybe. While those guys are going to be dumping upwards of 30 dollars per month or so. Once the game becomes pay-to-play, they are gone, and like that PGI loses roughly 60%+ of it's income.

Star citizen isn't even a game yet, and like you said, they're going to go with client side auth, until they switch to server side. MW:O preemptively decided to switch server side to save itself and everyone else the hassle and grief ahead of time.

I played PS2. There were some hacks in there, I can tell you that much.

As for the comment that this game is a hack:

Have you not had fun playing it? I know I have. The game has been improving a lot recently, and things look like they're going up. Sure, it took longer than expected, and I would have honestly liked even this stretch of the game to still be considered BETA, but the game is fun, and I have almost no regrets. Other than wasting my cadet bonus when I first started, and wasting some MC as well, when I decided to purchase a spider 5D with MC instead of C-Bills, because I didn't know any better at the time.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 29 May 2014 - 04:34 PM.

#86 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

Not sure where to ask to get answer but, the hoods of the clan mechs. How are they going to be accounted for in hit boxes? In my opinion they shouldn't be CT because well they where designed to prevent damage to CT. Why not split them 50/50 as side torsos? Anyone have any info on these?

#87 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:14 PM

View Postclownwarlord, on 29 May 2014 - 05:06 PM, said:

Not sure where to ask to get answer but, the hoods of the clan mechs. How are they going to be accounted for in hit boxes? In my opinion they shouldn't be CT because well they where designed to prevent damage to CT. Why not split them 50/50 as side torsos? Anyone have any info on these?

no info, but that's the speculation by most people so far.

Some even suggested 33% splits on the hoods between STs and CT.

#88 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 29 May 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

I like that idea. As a light mech pilot, when going 150+ Kph my aim is already a bit off, so the mis-alignment won't hurt me much anyways. However, I think it would be better if it wasn't percentage based, but rather speed based. For instance, once you're going past 85Kph. That way the slower, more stable assault mechs don't get gimped.

The idea is that you're losing accuracy when pushing your mech to extremes. Those extremes are defined by engine size vs. tonnage. Thus, there's more value in running a larger engine in your assault than you "technically" need. If you set a fixed speed, then you just make a line wherein people stop really bothering to go with a larger engine. It just doesn't work out well, and a fixed speed really penalizes fast mechs unnecessarily - as you said, aim is already harder at high speeds to start with.

Slower assaults are slower assaults, and a percentage based system makes it apply equally to everyone.

While this means you'd need to run your Atlas at, say, 48kph instead of 60kph to get precise fire, that's entirely reasonable - move faster, fire less accurately, or slow for precision fire with all the dangers inherent in that... Which is exactly the same price everyone pays. The This adds substantial value to the faster assaults, who can elect to use larger engines and thus maintain precise fire at higher speeds. There's no reason for assaults to get a pass there.

If, say, you set the "perfect fire" limit to 80% speed, a light can still clip along at 121.6 kph with perfect fire, and somewhat higher before the COF actually impacts anything. Keep in mind, you're going from linearly from 0 degrees spread at 80% speed to whatever spread at 100% speed.

So, going back to your Atlas, you can still brawl at max speed without any issue, as even with a COF there at close ranges you're going to be hitting what you aim at anyways given closer and thus "larger" targets. You'd want to slow to land accurate long range PPC shots, mind you.

You'd keep the spread range small for each, but have them additive, so travelling at 100% throttle and high heat together creates a significant spread, while just running fast with a cool mech(or slow with a hot mech) allows reasonably precise shots.

From there, you can tie in Jump Jets to the same system, with jumping adding x degrees spread (varying per weight class).

And, of course, you take a page from virtually every FPS ever and instead of having the reticle jump around randomly as it does now while jumping, you keep it centered on the aim point but increase the circle size to show spread amount.

Edited by Wintersdark, 29 May 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#89 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 25 May 2014 - 09:22 PM, said:

stuff

I gotta say, that even though it has the least affect on the game itself, the Fluff, like ISN Reports? Had those been maintained, along with better Hero Mech fluff, Mech intros, it would have gone a long ways to minimizing some frustration.

Why?

Because it would have demonstrated that PGI and IGP were still passionate about the game, the IP itself. And if you got a lot of people hopped up on their own product, and you see it, it's easier to believe they are trying their best to make it work.

Sadly, fair or not, perception or not, what we saw, by the end of CB, was a general withdrawal from the community by the Devs and Mods, in general, and a lapse in all the "little things" that combined with some ...community communication miscues, fostered the appearance of either being out of touch, not caring about the IP or both.

So, while it is too late maybe to help with many of the old guard, it might go a long way still to demonstrate to new players, that you guys do, indeed, care about the IP.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 29 May 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#90 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 29 May 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

Nice examples, but with too many flaws in your examples.

First off, CS:GO, doesn't have to deal with financial transactions like MW:O does. So the players are less likely to be outraged if a hack happens, since they're not investing hundreds of dollars into the game.

Second, CS:GO uses a steam ID anyways for identification.

Plus if MW:O became pay-to-play, it would defeat the purpose of the game, and it would lose a lot of it's player base who don't spend too much money on the game, but the occasional 10+ dollars of premium time/MC. That would all be gone, and it's the real money maker for the game. That guy who dropped 500$ for a gold mech won't be making any transactions for months maybe. While those guys are going to be dumping upwards of 30 dollars per month or so. Once the game becomes pay-to-play, they are gone, and like that PGI loses roughly 60%+ of it's income.

Star citizen isn't even a game yet, and like you said, they're going to go with client side auth, until they switch to server side. MW:O preemptively decided to switch server side to save itself and everyone else the hassle and grief ahead of time.

I played PS2. There were some hacks in there, I can tell you that much.

As for the comment that this game is a hack:

Have you not had fun playing it? I know I have. The game has been improving a lot recently, and things look like they're going up. Sure, it took longer than expected, and I would have honestly liked even this stretch of the game to still be considered BETA, but the game is fun, and I have almost no regrets. Other than wasting my cadet bonus when I first started, and wasting some MC as well, when I decided to purchase a spider 5D with MC instead of C-Bills, because I didn't know any better at the time.

well, these 3 games I named are much bigger than MWO and it seems that decent hit detection is a definitive factor (albeit not the only one) in how successful an online title is. I won't call MWO a hack, I just couldn't resist making a bad pun, but I'd still call it a disappointment.

#91 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

View PostSybreed, on 29 May 2014 - 07:27 PM, said:

I just couldn't resist making a bad pun, but I'd still call it a disappointment.

Ah, now I understand.

As fort he disappointment part, yes. MW:O has disappointed us a lot. However, I do hope this trend of improvement keeps up. You know what they say:
"Once you've hit rock bottom, you can only go up. Unless an A***ole hands you a shovel"

Edited by IraqiWalker, 29 May 2014 - 08:30 PM.

#92 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:40 AM

View PostKanajashi, on 25 May 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

What I would find interesting would be Niko grabbing a video camera and wandering around the office introducing people, and showing what they are working on (assuming its not anything super secret). I want to know who the people are that are making the game.

My wife still believes that PGI is a couple guys working in their moms garage, something like this would prove her wrong, good luck with that.

#93 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

View PostN0MAD, on 04 June 2014 - 03:40 AM, said:

My wife still believes that PGI is a couple guys working in their moms garage, something like this would prove her wrong, good luck with that.

You would love that wouldn't you?

(Bad marriage joke)

#94 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

Bonus Survey Question:

What game would you make if you had unlimited resources? Genre, theme, defining features, etc.

Edited by Assmodeus, 19 June 2014 - 02:57 PM.

#95 Cest7

• Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

I don't want to talk to devs, watch VLOGs or anything to do with those blubbering buffoons.

However, the ISN news reports that were in closed beta gave the game a sense of lore.

#96 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:49 PM

Greetings all,

And as for your request, the ComStar news bulletins has returned in some fashion.

- With the last three 'hyper pulses' arriving with news from the front.
- Now all are events and / or sales, but at least we have Lore related issues being identified.

1. http://mwomercs.com/...ionary-tensions
2. http://mwomercs.com/news/2014/08/914-steiner-challenge-win-Mechbay
3. http://mwomercs.com/...use-marik-sale/

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 15 August 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#97 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

Greetings all,

Back to the original topic:

@ Niko:

Q: With the next map originally stated as being a 'Mech Factory', then being changed to 'Industrial City', can we expect to see some form of 'working automation' in different areas of the map?
(automated delivery and conveyer feed systems?)

- The Lore states that most Mech Factories were fully automated and the industrial sector followed suite in only needing a few Tech's and Engineers to 'keep everything going'. As long as the raw materials were being delivered the Facility(s) kept churning out parts, assemblies, or completed units. All the locations we currently have for maps are barren of any activity, not even automated systems still operating, lifeless to all pretences.
- We need to start to see elements on some of our current maps have dynamic movement as part of there function.
(the Drillers don't count as moving objects)
- movers, loaders, transport equipment, barriers, doors, ramps, cranes, as some examples of automated items or objects that could be 'still active'. (HPG really needs working doors, the art work is there.)
- As well as, introducing strict Ai driven items that are carrying out there function to keep everything 'automated'. An example would be the 'snow-movers' on Alpine, or the rail dump buckets on the wall of the 'Forest Colony', the overhead 'cargo movers' on the roof of 'Crimson Strait'. They provide no change in the environment but could cause some 'obstacles' or movement 'detection' for Mech's sensors. (or at the least just additional immersion)
- This engine is robust and affords for many elements that are not yet seen in the game, additional LOS calculations for moving Ai objects should not be detrimental to gameplay. And we will probably need these type of objects when 'Attack/Defend' mode is introduced.

Sidebar:
- If this new map location is of such high value, just why are we even fighting near it?
( I can understand a 'hostile takeover' but this is getting ridiculous.)

This question will probably require numerous inquiries gathered from quite a few departments as to 'dynamic elements' in the environment.
(note here, what's a Jungle map without indigenous wildlife, either ground based or flying? Maybe just there sounds or screams? Sorry, tangent there for a minute.)

Thanks,
9erRed

#98 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

View PostSephlock, on 26 May 2014 - 05:33 AM, said:

Posted Image

I think that at the very least, they should publicly single out the next LRM whine post and do a live video stream of them mocking it for several hours.

And I mean really hamming it up, using umbrellas and ping pong balls as props. "Oh no, here come the LRMs, whatever shall I do?!"

This brings back some seriously lost memories from childhood!
Posted Image

#99 Lulz Kev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:02 AM

I don't really care for event's that take up valueable resources and limited time of already spread thin development crew. I'd much rather see an investment in something playable. Making videos and posts is just talk, more walk.

Edited by DTF Kev, 18 August 2014 - 08:05 AM.

#100 Xigunder Blue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 425 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Alabama

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:57 AM

Just a simple question please. What about ComStar? They are an IS Faction separate from the Houses but the first to actually engage in a major battle with the clans which became extremely well known. Will they be a selective unit in game?

Also interested in Wolf. They fight with the IS but are essentially clan. How will they show up in game for we players? (I know - 2 questions - sorry)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users