Lance Compositions & Advice (MW4,Black Knights)

2 replies to this topic

#1 sgt coloncrunch

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, WV USA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

It's occured to me, finally, that since my days playing Mechwarrior 2 and above, I've never once known what a proper lance assembly should be.

And now playing Mechwarrior 4 Mercs, I just lost 2 Mad Cats, and I can't honestly say why. I think it may be because I have no sense of the roles, and how to make them marry together in combat.

From what I've read, a lance is 4 battle mechs, mercenary companies modeled after clanners, have a different number of mechs used tho, I think it's 5?

I've also read, you typically want 2 Long range (Direct, or Indirect) mechs, a medium range mech to deal with mechs trying to close range, and a brawler of sorts.

Am I correct in this understanding, or am I missing out on things?

Also, I apologize if this is the entirely wrong place to ask such questions. But I don't frequent any other sources of battletech knowledge.

#2 Xmador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

A lance is just one component of a company. So, if a whole company is fielded like what is presumed for MOW, then each lance should fill a purpose, rather than one lance trying to fill all battle roles completely.

A company should have a scout lance filled with lights and fast mediums, a battle lance with mediums, heavies, and maybe a fast-ish assault, and a command lance, that commands the battle, provides support, and fills in any gaps that occur due to battlefield conditions.

To make it even more complicated, MWO will have scenarios that will also modify what type of company and mech makeup will have more likelihood of success.

I envision myself being just one mech in a company, assigned to fill a role and function, and will rely on my lancemates to help me accomplish it.

#3 IceSerpent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

Composition usually applies to a company/trinary instead of a single lance/star. The basic idea is that you want at least a few designated scouts, at least one command mech to coordinate the whole thing, and a bunch of damage dealers. The ranges really depend on the terrain (if you know it in advance) and personal preference. For example, if you are looking at mostly open terrain with a bit of cover here and there, you might want to use slower long range configs or faster brawlers. Either may or may not work, depending on how the battle develops.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users