- - - - -

What Is A Good Kill/death Ratio?

135 replies to this topic

#21 Nikkoru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

View PostSword of Morning, on 30 May 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

Keep in mind that the K/D ratio doesn't really mean anything in terms of your elo.

but elo is secret, right?

#22 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

View PostNikkoru, on 30 May 2014 - 07:46 AM, said:

Just checked mine for the first time. it says 1.87, but I don't really have a reference point. What is a good K/D/ ratio?

View PostLunatech, on 30 May 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

So while having a KDR above 1.00 is good, having a negative KDR does not necessarily mean that player is bad.

Lunatech pretty much covered it I think.

My K/D ratio for my Thunderbolts is pretty low (0.17 on one of them) but I can almost guarantee I help my team every time - as my Thuds are built to take a lot of fire (rather like the Atlas in Luna's example)

On the other hand - the K/D ratio on my 2LBAC 4MG Jager is comparatively insanely high - but it is built for finishing off weakened foes - IE getting the actual kill.

So in the end - a good K/D ratio is one that fits your chassis' role on the field (IE - what helps your team win) - and despite what several people will tell you - neither damage nor kills nor any other single stat is necessarily any indication of helping your team.

#23 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

Just checked mine for the first time. it says 1.87, but I don't really have a reference point. What is a good K/D/ ratio?

Some people, whom I could name but won't, will tell you that a K/D of anything less than 1.0 means you should quit the game and go eat glass. Or something equally batsh*t insane. I dunno, I try not to pay attention, which I exactly what I recommend you do.

Edited by Harathan, 30 May 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#24 VagGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:11 AM

a good K/D ratio is one you dont get to see...

when it comes to a point where people prefer to go kill themselves instead of fight just to preserve a stupid statistic..or to an extend when they run after the first red dot they see abandoning any tactical thinking just to get an extra kill...

its obvious that K/D ratio is doing more harm than good...i would be happy to see it go...

#25 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

Whats it matter if you are having fun? Anyways if you need to know. Not that numbers really matter so much.. Made top 5 in last comp. This is where I am at. Always play solo pretty much...(I really like being that unpredictable element in matches, some ppl hate me, some love me...hehe it's fun!)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Omaha, 30 May 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#26 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

My thoughts on the infamous KDR, after more than 10,000 matches, I have seen that is not possible in today's game mechanic to have a negative KDR, Kill-Death-Ratio is your average kills per death. It will not go below zero. At no kills and any number of deaths it will be zero that is the absolute worst it could be.

0 = Worst possible
> 0 && < 1 = more deaths than kill shots made
> 1 = more kill shots than deaths

What is more important in a team game? Damage or kills? My thinking is kills take enemy weapon platforms out of the match, therefore kills are more important than damage. This is not to say damage is not important, it is what leads to a kill in the first place. But being able to do a lot of damage and not kill anything for one team, usually means a loss. I have been on both sides where a team loses while doing more combined damage than the winning team. How is that possible some of you may think to ask? It is simply that one side is more skilled/and or focused on making kill shots than damage. I mean aimed shots at unarmored side torso's where the target is likely using an XL engine. Going for the legs on an opponent who has obviously stripped leg armor. Going for the back stab, etc... Making the kill shot helps the team, in my way of thinking and I tell my team this often enough, there is no kill stealing in this game, there is only teamwork or the lack of it. Anything that brings a target mech down faster is 9 out 10 times a result of teamwork. Especially if it is a well timed/placed sniper shot. Everyone has a role, playing that role at the wrong time will get you killed and removed from the match. Winning a match comes best from making efficient kills.

There is a great deal of balance between surviving (running/movement away from danger) and engaging (beit from face on toe to toe or circle of death dance or from ambush). The honor in which one keeps a high KDR is part of their reputation they will earn over time.

Edited by 7ynx, 30 May 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#27 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 30 May 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

K/D doesn't even mean anything in terms of your performance. A pair of machineguns on a locust will get you kills. Doesn't mean you earned them.

I dunno... in my book any kills a Locust pilot gets he's earned. Those things are like glass pea shooters on legs.

#28 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

If you want to improve your game, keep track of all of your stats, KDR helps, W/L is harder to improve on your own. Check your individal chassis to see if you are getting better in them, or to see which chassis are your best. Take total damage divided by games played, if your KDR is also good on that mech then its a sure sign your getting better.
good damage per match + good KDR = good player

Edited by DONTOR, 30 May 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#29 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

View PostVagGR, on 30 May 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

a good K/D ratio is one you dont get to see...

when it comes to a point where people prefer to go kill themselves instead of fight just to preserve a stupid statistic..or to an extend when they run after the first red dot they see abandoning any tactical thinking just to get an extra kill...

its obvious that K/D ratio is doing more harm than good...i would be happy to see it go...

This. I don't know the number of times (as a COM-TDK pilot) I've screamed BONZI and dove directly into the enemy lines as the last member of my team in acknowledgement that the enemy has won, wasting time hunting me is wasting time, and I don't care about KDR.

View PostNikkoru, on 30 May 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

but elo is secret, right?

correct

#30 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 30 May 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

This. I don't know the number of times (as a COM-TDK pilot) I've screamed BONZI and dove directly into the enemy lines as the last member of my team in acknowledgement that the enemy has won, wasting time hunting me is wasting time, and I don't care about KDR.

correct

As a Commando pilot I have won many games solo, by not giving up and realising 20 damage is easily capable of finishing multiple enemy mechs. You need to keep fighting not give up, and improve your stats, they are there to help you improve.

#31 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:10 PM

i honestly wish we didnt see kills at all. Sometimes i feel the same as damage...
if your aiming well and always aiming for quickest kill unless you killed entire other team you probably wont have a ultra high damage #.

if your just throwing your pew pew around then higher numbers are easier as long as you survive (surviving is the hard part)

View PostDONTOR, on 30 May 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

As a Commando pilot I have won many games solo, by not giving up and realising 20 damage is easily capable of finishing multiple enemy mechs. You need to keep fighting not give up, and improve your stats, they are there to help you improve.

i love commandos (death knell is still my fav mech) and i have to say there are times i dont care how good you are you are just screwed. especially with Hit reg improvments and current metas.
Now if your mech is nice and fresh and remaining enemies are mostly crippled...... then its game on.

#32 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

As others have said that's a good KDR.

It's also not telling us much in general.

Looking through the KDR of various mechs I have, there is quite a bit of deviation.

Some mech builds its simply harder to constantly be in the right place, at the right time to get the final kill (like big, slow assault mechs) - but that doesn't really take into consideration how much damage you or anyone else put on that mech before the kill shot - or how much you actually contributed to your team (like a brawling/mid range Atlas with no LRMs).

Other mech builds have a knack for being able to cull the weak like no other, and score kills constantly (like a DS poptart, or Dual Gauss Jager/Catapult).

So to provide some real examples, my Atlas DDC has a KDR of 1.14, but my Firebrand has a KDR of 2.2 (mostly solo PUGging)

Edited by Ultimatum X, 30 May 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#33 PieRat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 129 posts
  • LocationSoutheast of Disorder

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

As a light pilot my highest KDR's, W/L ratios, and damage done are in my lights. Throw me in heavies and assaults and it is terrible. So it just depends... My typical damage in most of my lights are a whole lot better than if I am driving a 100 ton metal beast of death. So it depends on how you play and finding a groove. I can constantly get 4+ kills a match, do 400-600 average damage per match on my spider. Put me in bigger more powerful mech's with a lot more weaponry and I am lucky to take someone down, much less last through the match. If I go by the stats I plain stink/suck at bigger mech's.

Which the point I am trying make which others here have done as well is use the Stats for personal research, and not worry how they compare in the grand scheme of things. It is useful that way. It is what made me strictly a light mech pilot in this game. As with using that information it helped me realize I come naturally to A.D.H.D. spastic fast ankle biting.

So do not worry too much about the stats past using them as a tool to better yourself.

Edited by PieRat, 30 May 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#34 Strongpaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 100 posts
  • LocationSouth of Montreal

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

A

Here are my Horrible stats this being played solo matches and PUGs 99.9% of the time

Base Statistics

Name Value MechWarrior Credits 1,685 Kills / Death 694 / 818 C-Bills 15,199,770 Experience Points 1,167,455 Wins / Losses 519 / 520 Kill / Death Ratio 0.85 Accumulative C-Bills Per Match 111,981.08 Avg. XP Per Match 1,123.63

My K/D Ratio Sucks. My win/loss is ok. Now the real number here is my Average XP Per Match, That's shows a pilots REAL Performance and Effort in Every battle. If you have a very high XP per Match then you are golden ;)

So the number can and are deceiving unless you understand what they mean. I have sooo many Seriously Achievements under my belt its not even funny. Seriously = Do the most damage in a match but have 0 kills

Strongpaw

Edited by Strongpaw, 30 May 2014 - 12:36 PM.

#35 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostAH Osprey 02, on 30 May 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

I got a bad KDR but I help in other ways in game.. Like a good spotter aint getting a lot of kills ... So I guess its how you look at it !

Im in this same boat. My KDR is not all that great but Id consider myself at least an above Average player as I try to do more on a battle field then just get a kill. Ill try to influence a battle other ways like with positioning, suppression fire and etc.

#36 Adiuvo

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

1 is alright, 2 is good, 3 is great.

It doesn't matter much if you're grouped or solo, in fact if you're grouped your KDR will probably be lower if anything since your groupies will be getting more of the kills.

#37 bar10jim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

As a bit of a side note: If you want to increase your K/D ratio, learn to use the 'R' key. If you're going to be shooting at the same target more than once, press the 'R' key to target them. Three reasons:

1) it lets your team know where and what you are fighting;
2) you may get some support (i.e. LRM's);
3) here's the biggie - it lets you see your target's paper doll.

-----a ) The health of the doll will tell you where the armor is weakest / missing (hint: that's where to aim). Easier kill!!

-----b ) It lets you see your progress and find possible weak spots.

-----c ) If the enemy is undamaged (and more powerful than you), you may want to disengage / re-engage in a more favorable position or with allies in support. Stay alive, then kill.

Edited by bar10jim, 30 May 2014 - 12:52 PM.

#38 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostAdiuvo, on 30 May 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

1 is alright, 2 is good, 3 is great.

It doesn't matter much if you're grouped or solo, in fact if you're grouped your KDR will probably be lower if anything since your groupies will be getting more of the kills.

GROUPIES WITH GUNS?!

Never knew touring was that hard.

Edited by Dago Red, 30 May 2014 - 01:02 PM.

#39 Nikkoru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:23 PM

View PostStrongpaw, on 30 May 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

Now the real number here is my Average XP Per Match, That's shows a pilots REAL Performance and Effort in Every battle. If you have a very high XP per Match then you are golden ;)

So, what would be considered a good average xp per match?

Edited by Nikkoru, 30 May 2014 - 01:23 PM.

#40 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

Lets try to look at the average K/D ratio of the community:
  • Every kill made by a player causes another player to have a death. At this point, the ratio is 1:1.
  • Can a player kill another player without causing a death? No, so the average ratio across the community cannot be higher than 1:1.
  • Can a player die without the death being caused by another player, thus causing a kill? Yes, either by running out of bounds, destroyed legs by dropping, overheat, or turrets. Therefore, as long as players have died by alternative methods, the average K/D ratio of the community must be less than 1:1.
So, yeah. Above 1:1 is pretty ok. Heck, even 1:1 is above average. Not that it matters that much, because many of the roles in this game are based around doing something other than getting that final hit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users