20 replies to this topic

#1 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

So I've seen this asked, but never seen it answered: How the heck are champions priced?

I've been thinking about picking up a second CTF-3D, and why not a champion? Well, why not is that the champion is hilariously overpriced for what you get (it's more than the AS7-RS(C) for crying out loud). OTOH, the JR7-F champion is a steal (XL300 for $4-$5!)

I spent five minutes with my ten-key and Smurfy and found the formula (again, this is not complicated, but I've never seen it stated): All champion mechs are 25% more expensive in MC than their "standard" counterparts. This, while "consistent," is really sortof odd and has some strange knock-on effects, like those listed above. The CTF-3D standard comes with the expensive and useful XL280, where the CTF-3D(C) comes with the also-useful-but-comparatively-dirt-cheap STD280. The Jenner is the other way, etc.

Anyway, now you know.

#2 EyeOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

That is kind of a weird way to price them. But just get a normal 3D I guess?

#3 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

They're priced as MC per ton like the Hero mechs right?

#4 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 30 May 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

They're priced as MC per ton like the Hero mechs right?

No, actually, that's what I was trying to explain...

Take the standard version's MC price and multiply by 1.25 (and round to a multiple of 25 or 50 c-bills, didn't look that closely) and that's the champion price. Since standard mech MC prices correlate to the CB price, this means that the champion mechs are (indirectly) priced based not on their loadouts, but based on the loadouts of their standard brethren.

You may be thinking of heroes, which are priced by a simple 75MC*tonnage formula.

Edited by Terciel1976, 30 May 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#5 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 30 May 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

No, actually, that's what I was trying to explain...

Take the standard version's MC price and multiply by 1.25 (and round to a multiple of 25 or 50 c-bills, didn't look that closely) and that's the champion price. Since standard mech MC prices correlate to the CB price, this means that the champion mechs are (indirectly) priced based not on their loadouts, but based on the loadouts of their standard brethren.

You may be thinking of heroes, which are priced by a simple 75MC*tonnage formula.

I think the MC increase comes from the 10% XP increase, and the fact that some of the champions are already upgraded well.

#6 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 30 May 2014 - 08:24 PM, said:

I think the MC increase comes from the 10% XP increase, and the fact that some of the champions are already upgraded well.

Sometimes upgraded well, sometimes less well. Compare the CTF-3D and the CTF-3D(C) and tell me which one is "upgraded."

#7 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 30 May 2014 - 08:44 PM, said:

Sometimes upgraded well, sometimes less well. Compare the CTF-3D and the CTF-3D(C) and tell me which one is "upgraded."

It's why I liked the way the Champion mechs were drawn up before. They let us design them and then vote on which build is actually good.

#8 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 30 May 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

It's why I liked the way the Champion mechs were drawn up before. They let us design them and then vote on which build is actually good.

Hear, hear. Several of the last few have been head scratchers. The FS9-S(C) they got right, at least (if not exactly how I run it).

#9 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:07 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 30 May 2014 - 09:11 PM, said:

Hear, hear. Several of the last few have been head scratchers. The FS9-S(C) they got right, at least (if not exactly how I run it).

Yeah, However, other than the Jenner, Dragon, FS9-S, and Atlas, pretty sure all of the others could use some tweaking.

#10 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,660 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:21 AM

"Could use some tweaking"

I do believe that is the point...

#11 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:47 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 31 May 2014 - 01:07 AM, said:

Yeah, However, other than the Jenner, Dragon, FS9-S, and Atlas, pretty sure all of the others could use some tweaking.

add the Spider to that list, the champion Spider is the only mech which I run unmodified

#12 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:08 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 31 May 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

add the Spider to that list, the champion Spider is the only mech which I run unmodified

I bought one of these yesterday. $2 for an XL255 and decent mech (this was the one surprise in the sale IMO). And, yeah. Shifted armor and ammo but otherwise ran stock. (I have mastered 5D but limped the 5K and 5V through basic un-upgraded and then sold, but have since fancied the 5K from time to time, so too good to miss).

#13 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

I don't really care for the loadout as I am swimming in C-bills, but I do mind that you pay MC and only receive an XP-bonus; this means the joy of owning a Champion is brief. A Hero mech actually has a different layout and 30% increase in C-bills that may both be of use for a very long time.

(If the price in parts is worth it, why not).

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 01 June 2014 - 07:25 AM.

#14 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:55 AM

View PostThe Great Unwashed, on 01 June 2014 - 07:24 AM, said:

I don't really care for the loadout as I am swimming in C-bills, but I do mind that you pay MC and only receive an XP-bonus; this means the joy of owning a Champion is brief. A Hero mech actually has a different layout and 30% increase in C-bills that may both be of use for a very long time.

I don't disagree with you, but a couple of the champs are really cheap when you consider parts (JR7, FS9, SDR and CDA stand out to me) and if it's a mech you're going to keep running until for a long time, 10% of GXP isn't a bad thing, either. I have now bought the SDR, JR7 and FS9 myself, largely for the engines (and have the CN9 because free).

#15 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

%@#$ Terc! Just had to go snag some MC and buy a Champion Jenner because I read yer post....

...flippin accountants.

#16 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 01 June 2014 - 03:10 PM, said:

%@#$ Terc! Just had to go snag some MC and buy a Champion Jenner because I read yer post....

...flippin accountants.

:o

Does it help to know I own two now too? ;)

#17 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

View PostThe Great Unwashed, on 01 June 2014 - 07:24 AM, said:

If it's a mech you're going to run for a long time, then it's going to be a great purchase, not just in terms of parts, and whatnot, but also in that you will build up a frightening amount of XP on it, and can convert that into GXP later, to help you max out your modules, and a few mechs you don't want to grind through.

#18 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:15 AM

Accountants say that shoveling XP to GXP costs money and you can get about 75,000 GXP transferred for the price of a champion (3000MC) I have well over 500,000 XP on several mechs each... so my pool of XP is deeper than I can afford :D. Plus, I try to grind the mechs grind-style nowadays...

Mind you, this is my reason for not buying the champion, not a fact of MWO. In my opinion the Hero mech is preferred over a champion mech. That does not explain why I own two champions mechs (Jenner and Hunchback) :huh:

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 02 June 2014 - 01:15 AM.

#19 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

Meh... Champion mechs are a waste of money anyway IMO. 10% xp is great until you finish leveling the mech in a few hours. Then you spend all that money on a mech that is essentially exactly the same as the free version. Heroes are the better deal with the C-bill increase that will benefit you forever.

#20 Mighty Wings

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

Wow, was going to skip the sale because I didn't want a Dragonslayer and I figured all the other mechs were just normal mechs that could be duplicated...thanks for the heads up on the engines.

I was going to get a jenner and spider eventually but purchased them now because of the deal. 300 XL (didn't need it since I already have one but 2.45 mil c-bills is still nice), 255XL and double HS, endosteel, Ferro upgrades for ~1300 MC is a great deal. Only problem now is I also got the Atlas deal for C-Bills (awesome deal if you decide you never want to touch it again you only lose 120k selling everything) and am A) running out of mechbays, B ) no idea which chasis to grind up next.

Edited by Mighty Wings, 02 June 2014 - 03:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users