#1 Pernox

• Pip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 11 posts
  • LocationWarship between systems

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

http://en.wikipedia....ginn_and_Muninn

I picked up a RVN-H to help fill out my Raven mech line certification. Mostly because I like the paint job. I bought it when it was on sale a little while back but didn't do anything with it as I was skeptical of it's loadout. I have to admit I'm hooked on it.

Both variants I'm using start by stripping off all but 1 Jump-Jet, convert to Endo and Ferro. And strip all the armor to first install the weapons. Once the weapons and ammo are installed I balance out the armor giving it priority to where I take the most damage (left/right torso, center torso, legs). No CASE as it has an XL engine. Base speed is 129KPH which lets you hunt with other fast mechs and also run down stock RVN-3Ls and COM-2Ds and Cicadas. The heat rating on both builds is 2 so there is no heat worries at all.

I put efficiency right away into Anchor Turn, then the stop/start efficiencies, then torso twist, then final the heat based ones to finish off the basic level. I'm still working on the the 3/3 basic unlocks so I can start leveling the elite levels but I plan the speed tweak to be the first unlock.

Build 1 - I tried playing with Artemis + 1 SRM6 + 1 SRM4 with 2 tons of ammo, 4 MGs with 1 ton of ammo. I wanted to use the Artemis reduce the spread of the SRMs in hopes it would do more pin-point accuracy. But I found it didn't matter much at the ranges you are fighting (under 120M to make use of the MGs). This build I find suffers from ammo shortages in any fight that lasts a while.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...56fe258ae23b7b0

Build 2 - is like build 1, but I strip off a little bit more armor and the Artemis. 2x SRM6 with 3 tons of ammo, 4xMGs with 2 tons of ammo. This build I am like a lot more. Since you are effectively fighting up close and personal I don't notice the loss of the Artemis and the extra punch given by the two SRM6s helps a lot.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1ec8bd21a36a9b2

Playstyles for both are the same. You are a back-alley mugger, a carrion hunter picking off the wounded and weak, the ones who try to run and who try to hide. You need to be sneaky and flank around the battle coming in behind the LRM boats or the wounded and unloading at point blank. It is also good to hunt down other lights such at ECM mechs and Firestarters. The 129KPH base speed lets you weave and dodge. You are fragile, especially in the rear, but so are most light mechs, speed and surprise are you main defenses. If you use the RVN-H in conjunction with a RVN-3L or even with a Jenner, you become a vicious wolf-pack of light and LRM boat hunters.

What other builds have you tried? I used to be a HGN-732 driver but fell in love with this variant.

#2 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:11 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...28029472e658651

I use that standard config, with a couple of SSRM2 with 3 tons of ammos, just in case if the batlle is long.

I've never run out of ammos!

This mech is awesome, you have to be sneaky, to steal kill and made this sort of bad stuff! Hey, it's a raven!!
This is one of the best mech for wolfpack, you can kill lights with the SSRM2, finish their wounden legs with the machine guns, you can crit the fat guys... Very efficient mech in his role.

I have made matches with 5 kills sometimes, the quad meachine guns are pretty decent for making damages (often 400-500 damages with that mech).

This is a very fun mech. The Ember is better, but the Raven is very funny too. And it's a FRR heroe mech!

#3 The Wakelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:21 AM

I just recently swapped over to something quite similar to your 2nd build - still deciding if I like it or not (only a few games in).

However, from basic to master my build was a 'missile jetski' - I used the standard XL engine, LRM10 + LRM5, 3 tonne ammo & 3MG with 1 tonne ammo. The goal is to use speed to get to an ideal location (a flank) and LRM. If I am being selfish I aim to tag each enemy otherwise I aim at the slow mechs who think AMS are for dorks. Machine guns are used to blow off parts once the armour is stripped, or when my LRMs are running under 20%. I usually score 200-400 on a match, and on average earn $100-150k of c-bills.

The main drawback is that other lights tend to overpower the -H as I cannot effectively flee them (even at ~140kph), they outrun LRMs, and outpower 3MG.

#4 Kaeb Odellas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:48 PM

I hate this stupid thing. It's worthless against other lights and barely passable against heavier targets. Anything I can do with this mech I can do better in my JR7-F. Even at 50% off I regret buying it.

#5 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:43 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 24 June 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

I hate this stupid thing. It's worthless against other lights and barely passable against heavier targets. Anything I can do with this mech I can do better in my JR7-F. Even at 50% off I regret buying it.

Have to personally agree.

Loved my ravens ever since day one in closed beta but I just cant ever see myself wanting a huginn.

Another raven with jumpjets is nice but its the "multiple ballistic hardpoints on a light problem" you either go all out with one large ballistic on a light mech or you stick with the option of machine guns. The next ballistic up from the 0.5ton machine gun is the AC2 and that is 6 tons for one and atleast 2-3 tons of ammo for one AC2 to last you a match, there is no way you are bringing more than 2 AC2s and still having any speed, then there is the fact that AC2 boating heavies and assaults caused the AC2 to be nerfed constantly.

So if I bothered to I would run the Huggin as a hero AC20 raven or maybe an end of the round crit chaser. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4292e76eeac7aa1

unless something like the LB5x ever comes out.

#6 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:07 AM

dual ac2 - a lot of fun in this mech

#7 Kompost

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

Pernox, I think you can easily drop head armor to 4-6 and put more in arms/side torsos.

#8 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:48 AM

I want to say again in no uncertain terms how much I hate this sack of crap. It is suuuuuch garbage.

#9 Tarys

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 166 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

I have to admit i just bought the mech because of the sale and didnt expect it to do any good ... but now ist my favorite mech and i really enjoy playing it. sadly my old love the 3L no longer gives me decent matches (on the other hand that could be because in pugs not everyone is interested in shooting targets with narc)

current stats (yes i know some people will laugh at them)
Mech': HUGINN
Matches Played: 108
Wins: 48
Losses: 58
Ratio: 0.83
Kills: 75
Deaths: 93
Ratio: 0.81
Damage Done: 19,836
XP Earned: 53,016
Time Played: 07:53:55

current build:
HUGINN

i have tested using two srm6 but in most fights they make no real difference. instead max speed and close to max armor seems to help me more.

#10 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:15 AM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 24 June 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

Really? it kills (Single) heavies and assaults with ease for me. get up behind and pow, they are as good as dead. It's like my quad SRM 2 locust and quad MG locust put together with more armour and jumpjets.

Quite good if you know how to use it. but you are right about the fact it can't vs light mechs well, not all mechs can do that effectively.

#11 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:18 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 11 August 2014 - 02:15 AM, said:

Really? it kills (Single) heavies and assaults with ease for me. get up behind and pow, they are as good as dead. It's like my quad SRM 2 locust and quad MG locust put together with more armour and jumpjets.

Quite good if you know how to use it. but you are right about the fact it can't vs light mechs well, not all mechs can do that effectively.

How often do you run into lone heavies and assaults? Not often, I bet. Maybe towards the end of a match, you'll see easy targets, but by then your teammates have won the game for you.

Although strangely enough, despite its abysmal K:D compared to my other Ravens, it's got the best W:L of the three (2.10)

Edited by Kaeb Odellas, 11 August 2014 - 03:19 AM.

#12 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

just run around with dual srm6+artemis and fastest XL engine.

#13 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 11 August 2014 - 03:18 AM, said:

How often do you run into lone heavies and assaults? Not often, I bet. Maybe towards the end of a match, you'll see easy targets, but by then your teammates have won the game for you.

Although strangely enough, despite its abysmal K:D compared to my other Ravens, it's got the best W:L of the three (2.10)

Quite often.

Especially those speeding Madcats/ Timberwolfs.

As well as assaults that are to slow to catch up to the team. People who just came out of AFK / DC"ed and rejoined. and LRM boats that stuck to far behind the team.

#14 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:46 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 15 August 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

Quite often.

Especially those speeding Madcats/ Timberwolfs.

As well as assaults that are to slow to catch up to the team. People who just came out of AFK / DC"ed and rejoined. and LRM boats that stuck to far behind the team.

The Huginn is good against bad players, then?

See, practically any light can do just as well if not better against lone Assaults and LRM boats. Most of them also have the benefit of not being useless against other lights, and the laser-equipped ones can pick off stragglers without having to close to spitting range.

#15 Krowfeeder

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:25 AM

It's useless. Has anyone ever strapped lrms to one? Might at least get some assist

#16 Fester Blatz1980

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:47 AM

LuRMinn

One of my best mechs (>1.5 KDR) and the fastest "LRM boat" out there. Feel free to swap out 1t of ammo for a DHS. You will be more flexible with two 10's compared to one 20 launcher. It's just a pity that you can't equip a TAG laser.

#17 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:07 PM

View PostFester Blatz1980, on 15 September 2014 - 07:47 AM, said:

LuRMinn

One of my best mechs (>1.5 KDR) and the fastest "LRM boat" out there. Feel free to swap out 1t of ammo for a DHS. You will be more flexible with two 10's compared to one 20 launcher. It's just a pity that you can't equip a TAG laser.

You don't even need another DHS. You're effectively heat neutral with that build, as you'll run out of ammo long before you overheat.

If you want to run a fast LRM light, the OXIDE does it better. 4xLRM5 have tighter spread, faster cooldown, and are 2 tons lighter than 2xLRM10, allowing you to carry more ammo, carry BAP, or fit a larger engine.

The Oxide does it better:

#18 Krowfeeder

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:11 PM

I did run mine today with just two lrm 5s and the MGs and it did preform better but it is still worse than any other light except perhaps the locust even out of the box.

#19 Fester Blatz1980

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:54 AM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 15 September 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

The Oxide does it better:

An OXIDE might be different, but outright better? HUGINN can be that more mobile: LuRMinn v2. You can even exhcange 0.5t of ammo for the second JJ.

View PostKrowfeeder, on 15 September 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

I did run mine today with just two lrm 5s and the MGs and it did preform better but it is still worse than any other light except perhaps the locust even out of the box.

Why did you keep the MGs? You are fast enough to run away from brawls, and once you get into MG range your LRMs are useless. Better go full LRM or don't go at all.

#20 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:34 AM

Just bumping this because I read the Huginn's upcoming quirks:

Raven Huginn:
Additional Structure (LL&RL) 4
Additional Structure (LA&RA) 3
Machine Gun Range 12.5%
Ballistic Range 12.5%
SRM4 Range 12.5%
Missile Range 12.5%
SRM4 Cooldown 25%
Missile Cooldown 25%
Missile Heat Gen -15%

Twin SRM4s firing every 1.5 seconds (and with a 337m range) should be pretty potent, and with quad MGs firing you can output around 60 damage in three seconds.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users