Clan-Omnimechs Vs Clan-Battlemechs Vs Is-Battlemechs

13 replies to this topic

#1 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

What should be the difference between them?

Omnimechs have pinned reactor, armour etc. but can swap weapons in every way they want?
Battlemechs can switch equipment, but have weapon-hardpoints?

But if Clan-Battlemechs are just like IS-Battlemechs, just with better Techlevel, wouldn't that make them superior to Clan-Omnimechs?

Even if Clan-Omnimechs can put on any weapon-config, there are only this many who make sense. And you will never be able to give the Kit Fox some decent speed or the Hellbringer some decent armour.

#2 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

BattleMechs (Both) Full customization including Sinks Structure and Engines.

OmniMechs Zero Hard point restriction.

#3 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:03 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 29 October 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

BattleMechs (Both) Full customization including Sinks Structure and Engines.

OmniMechs Zero Hard point restriction.

That's exactly my point: If you restrict Omnimech customizations to weapons, you loose out on aaaaaaaaall the other stuff that might make the Mech better.

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:49 AM

View PostDI3T3R, on 30 October 2013 - 02:03 AM, said:

That's exactly my point: If you restrict Omnimech customizations to weapons, you loose out on aaaaaaaaall the other stuff that might make the Mech better.

That is the trade off you have for being able to put what ever weapons you want where ever you want on the chassis.

#5 Devillin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 140 posts
  • LocationTharkad, Standing Next to the Throne.

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

I posted this on another thread. I propose that you have fixed variants of the omnimechs for leveling purposes. Basically, have three hardwired variants of each omnimech. One variant would be the stock chassis with the original engine, internal structure, armor, and electronics hardwired to the frame. Call it the B[ase] variant. The second variant would have the original engine, internal structure, and electronics, but have maximized armor (probably without ferro-fibrous to save space for larger weapons). We'll call it the A[ssault] variant. The last variant would have the original internal structure, electronics, and armor, but have the largest engine possible, maximizing its speed. We'll call this variant the C[hase] variant.

#6 p8ragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

^That sounds like an excellent idea.

#7 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:10 AM

View PostDevillin, on 05 November 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

I posted this on another thread. I propose that you have fixed variants of the omnimechs for leveling purposes. Basically, have three hardwired variants of each omnimech. One variant would be the stock chassis with the original engine, internal structure, armor, and electronics hardwired to the frame. Call it the B[ase] variant. The second variant would have the original engine, internal structure, and electronics, but have maximized armor (probably without ferro-fibrous to save space for larger weapons). We'll call it the A[ssault] variant. The last variant would have the original internal structure, electronics, and armor, but have the largest engine possible, maximizing its speed. We'll call this variant the C[hase] variant.

Omnimechs are supposed to need a total redesign to change their internal structure aka engine,armor..
More important, if you give them some kind of customization or at least more viable internal configuration you may give Omnimechs too many advantages over BattleMechs. I feel locked internals is a fair trade for more freedom in changing weapons.

#8 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

Not a Clanner, personally... but for balance-sake: Inner Sphere Mechs are limited per their weapon type hard-points... this makes changing their load-out easier on the Techs busting their hides to prepare Mechs for battle... Clan Mechs should have a limited number of "open" hard-points that are not limited to a specific type of weapon, while everything remains much like Inner Sphere Mechs internally (gyro, engine slots, actuators, etc.).

Edited by Grendel408, 06 November 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#9 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Actually, it's the other way around. IS 'mechs are very difficult to change, that's why Omni-mechs exist: to allow easy weapons swapping. The internals are all the same, it's just that you can't change them without changing the Omni status.

#10 Prawfutt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationThe sulfuric beaches of Malibu

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 06 November 2013 - 06:10 AM, said:

Omnimechs are supposed to need a total redesign to change their internal structure aka engine,armor..
More important, if you give them some kind of customization or at least more viable internal configuration you may give Omnimechs too many advantages over BattleMechs. I feel locked internals is a fair trade for more freedom in changing weapons.

A very valid point and I agree with you. I have to point out however that some of the most expensive equipment in game currently are internals. Double Heat Sinks, XL Engines, or larger standard engines. I do not believe they will implement omni in such a way that will reduce the amount of grinding required to properly set up a mech.

In a game where a good majority of us spend at least half again the price tag of a mech and not on weapons for the mech, which is exactly what they want us doing with our earned cbills, why would they implement mechs that you can not sink C-bills into the C-bill sinks they have created.

Unfortunately I have a feeling clan tech will be nothing more than cosmetic and faction tag.

#11 The Blood God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 233 posts
  • Locationchester england

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

i get that the clan and is mechs need to be balanced i'm all up for fixing crit slot locations and engines and changing the weapon stats and all that in the clan mechs, but i think its unnecessary to fix armor, structure and heat sink type, the weight savings granted by those things generally means i can fit a worth while amount ammo and heat sinks.

its not like you can get an extra ac20 on your build once you've fitted DHS and ES, but having enough ammo to last the match and enough heat dissipation to be able use energy weapons effectively is the thing i focus on when building mechs if slots or weight is not available to make a build usable i'd find it very frustrating if i couldn't free up some weight/slots by changing the armor, structure or heat sink type

cmon devs let that one go we're only talking about a couple of tons and a few slots let us have that much other wise swapping pods about might be pointless as i won't be able to load enough ammo/heat sinks to make good use of the potential diversification

#12 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:44 PM

Sweet tap dancing christ this needs to stop. So many thread necromancers as of late. The hell is this?

#13 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

o.O HAHA! This made me laugh, more for Pariah's response.

#14 Kodiak Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 935 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:21 AM

View PostDI3T3R, on 29 October 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

What should be the difference between them?

Omnimechs have pinned reactor, armour etc. but can swap weapons in every way they want?
Battlemechs can switch equipment, but have weapon-hardpoints?

But if Clan-Battlemechs are just like IS-Battlemechs, just with better Techlevel, wouldn't that make them superior to Clan-Omnimechs?

Even if Clan-Omnimechs can put on any weapon-config, there are only this many who make sense. And you will never be able to give the Kit Fox some decent speed or the Hellbringer some decent armour.

its more of a lore vs. game issue, omni-mechs are far superior to battlemechs in lore because of the ease of customization and repair times are drastically cut, where as a battlemech could take days, weeks even months to customize or repair not to forget about the expenses and resources required to customize them. since time isn't a factor in MWO omni-mechs only have the ability to swap omni-pods going for them at the moment.

as for the kit fox and hellbringer, they carry enough firepower to level other mechs fairly quickly so I would hardly worry about there lack of speed or armour.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users