King Crab Versus Dire Wolf + Lots Of Tabletop.

203 replies to this topic

#201 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:51 PM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 25 December 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

Leg styles.

The first and second concepts. (Folded version is of the second (third set of legs) concept).
Posted Image

The first and second sketch above are from the first leg concept, the first with the double jointed ankle and the second with a single jointed.

The first concept, a bit more fleshed out, intends to hide the feet underneath the front of the torso when 'rolling' (particularly with the double ankle version).
Posted Image
Were this using an Industrial chassis instead of a Myomer muscular-based Standard chassis, this might have been a mechanical nightmare to pilot. Since it is Myomer muscles, however, this is as you had suggested for it to be quite stable. It could also make the conversion in place with minimal forward/reverse movement. In theory it could just crouch in place.
-----------

The second concept, like you said, would require a bit more work and possibly more jerky and mechanical. Getting up would be more of a challenge. One thought was to take advantage of the tracks to help with the stance, by lifting one leg and tilting then 'rolling' back with the tracks of the other to help it get to its feet.

The more I look at it the more I think it'd need a joint in the middle of the largest part of the leg (which would create two sets of tracks) and inadvertently create the first concept. As you suspected it was made with much more surface area in mind, allowing for a better distribution of weight on the tracks (I've got quite a bit of track experience from MLRS, MOS 13 Mike, though most of my time's been spent with the Hemtt to provide logistical support and was always big into tanks).

Posted Image
Leg positioning not final (it'd likely be moved forward/backward, etc and flexed a bit; I sort of imagine this second version to be 'taller' standing), and bare in mind the overall body isn't quite done yet either. Still, I figure it important to be able to imagine how it would move, balance, etc., before finishing the look.

Otherwise after all the hard work I might end up with something like the original Battletech Stalker...

Posted Image
Like... seriously... "How"?

It should be noted that the thickness of the rectangular prisms do not represent the end-thickness of the legs, which will be considerably thicker. Particularly the calves.

In the case of the first concept, I think the 'longer' part of the legs (middle section) will have the tracks instead of the calves.

Each arm is going to have a shield-like appearance on the outside akin to the Cicada. The outer side will have five angles, the inner side will have 4, allowing the semi-box-like frame of the rest of the arm to nestle in. I would like the shield to be able to visually protect the liquid tank and ammo drum for the mech's main weaponry.

The 'thing' on the RT is intended to placehold the RT turret.

Though I might add, that cockpit/torso section (a simplified lower poly earlier version of the one I've showed in the past) was originally meant to be reflect the CT-width, so depending on how this goes the mech is possibly going to be bigger and wider to some degree.

I'm still debating foot design, for both the Nin Kei and the more humanoid Patlabor-inspired mech.

To note, the still unnamed Patlabor inspired mech needs a name... and will be running on an industrial chassis... which means it won't be using myomer muscles (though this depends on on whether or not industrial mechs can use that.)

Time for bed.

Edited by Koniving, 26 December 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#202 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:22 PM

View PostKoniving, on 25 December 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

So yeah I went back in read up. It seems I pretty much covered it on my own though and didn't see anything new to address (I could make a mention on jumpjets under Page 24-25 of Strategic Operations can have stored fuel in a liquid storage tank, with each ton of fuel being 40 fuel points which would be more than enough to allow 40 jumps for a single jumpjet, but that's splitting hairs).

Interesting find; you can add a container and designate it as extra stored reaction mass for the jumpjets.

It tells you how many "jumps" per ton of mass. It tells you how much you use of mass per turn. Now if we knew how many turns a 'mech WITHOUT an extra stored bin full of reaction mass can go, we could calculate the size of the reaction mass a 'mech JJ carries. I bet that's in the fuel consumption rules, if it's there at all.

Too bad JJS have a habit of overheating ...

The other thing is what DropShips to use. Leopard DropShips are likely due to the fact that they are in MWO, and thus a specific visual reference is already in people's minds when they read that a Leopard DropShip came in to drop off mechs. But as every faction has its own distinct stuff, it stands to reason that DropShips more native to the factions might be used here. (So a list of DropShips to factions would be awesome).

http://www.masterunitlist.info/

In order:

Under type select aerospace

Under sub type select dropship

Under technology select clan, IS, mixed, primitive, your choice

Than you can sort by faction, era, etc, etc.

BTW, from what little I understand, the production dates and ETC in the online MUL are "the best" source for finding canon info about the units. Or at least for the production dates.

At the moment, the plan is to use a series of 3 to 5 maps to represent one team's progressive invasion, with the match/etc. covering one of multiple simultaneous operations within a campaign akin to Damocles. These will include various targets varying from map to map. I'm hoping to include an area populated with a minor civilian presence, whether in an attempt to deal with local leadership or due to an operation having gone off course (i.e. pilots get lost, communications jammed, misinformation, etc).

I wonder if you can have the defender pre-deployed on spots throught the maps. It's a times like this that you could really wish that MM would allow for hidden units. I gather that's been an ongoing thing, MM trying to implement that.

Out of the 35 pilots I currently have, only 3 are elites and 13 are green.

*chuckle* ... oh, I know that feeling. I had to learn to watch those PSR's and not get exposed to multiple routes of fire (20 dmg = green pilot falls). That and I managed to kill off one of my better pilots trying a DFA ... which is REALLY a last-ditch desperation attack.

Double Blind will be used if possible; depends on whether or not signing into the game with a second but minimized connection as an observer can provide a detailed transcript in the end. Otherwise we'll be combining our transcripts.

I suspect you'll probably have to combine log files.

Individual Initiative will be used to create a more dynamic, semi-real time experience (rather than player A moves everything, player B reacts).

It's too bad MM doesn't have simultaneous move/opportunity fire/double-blind implemented. That's going to be TRICKY to get all of those rules working cohesively.

#203 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:40 PM

hey did one of the coolest boards in the battle tech board die on me ?

#204 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:37 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 01 June 2014 - 10:23 PM, said:

Hmm. Feel like drawing a King Crab stuck on top of a pillar now -.-

You never did draw that King Crab, did you? You should.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users