31 replies to this topic

#21 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:36 AM

About the only build I've seen for these things lately is the 3ML on the left side, and 3SL on the other.

#22 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 10 June 2014 - 07:36 AM, said:

About the only build I've seen for these things lately is the 3ML on the left side, and 3SL on the other.

CSB: I accidentally clicked on the Champion Jenner F instead of my own and launched with that build. I moaned and groaned at first, but then racked up 3 kills and 600-some damage. Though I prefer my six small pulses, I can't really badmouth the Champion build anymore after that.

#23 Gunslinger76

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:50 AM

I recently switched to the 6 spl approach. I was finding that the med lasers were running hot and required a long time facing my target. With the Jenner's hit boxes, the less time facing the better. That damn CT absorbs all fire. THe spl have less heat, allow for direct damage, and, from my experience, allow you to dual one v one with most weight classes and offer general support in a brawl.

The other factor I found with ML was that I wasn't using the range too much. Most of my fire was coming from closer in to mechs. The switch to spl made sense to me with that play style. From my person experience, I noticed an immediate boost in score and kills with the switch. That's my two cents for what its worth.

#24 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:54 AM

View PostErtur, on 10 June 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

Not much point in getting the champion if you have the regular JR7-F, they have the exact same hardpoints.

True, but my Jenners are one of few chassis that I keep permanently battle ready. Those and the others I've found my ideal build for.

I can't be bothered swapping loadouts, modules and engines when it's already my best performing mech. For 50% off it's not a bad deal, plus "free" XL300.

Aleski, you're right it depends on playstyle. But it also comes down to knowing your mech.

My FS9-A runs 8ML and the only time I shut down is to land a killing blow when they are otherwise going to kill me. Normally I run in, alpha then circle to alpha again on my way to cool down. Rinse and repeat. If I run into another light I run back to the team. It's not a terribly effective mech, but is fun for what it is.

#25 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:57 AM

View PostLunatech, on 10 June 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

My FS9-A runs 8ML and the only time I shut down is to land a killing blow when they are otherwise going to kill me.

Gotta love the mini-swayback.

#26 maniacos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 777 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

The difference in playstyle does alot. Small lasers are too short for me, I need a longer range. I am doing better peeking out of a cover and retreat again and have enough distance if a fat boy starts chasing me.

And for grinding purposes you might want to keep in mind the kill assist you get, when your laser graze over an enemy, what will not happen with the pulse lasers. With MLas I get hits over more than 400 meters, that won't do much damage but give you kill assists when your team member finishes that enemy mech you scratched only slightly with your laser.

#27 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:40 AM

View PostLunatech, on 10 June 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

True, but my Jenners are one of few chassis that I keep permanently battle ready. Those and the others I've found my ideal build for.

I can't be bothered swapping loadouts, modules and engines when it's already my best performing mech. For 50% off it's not a bad deal, plus "free" XL300.

And this is why I grabbed the champ for the ~$3 it was on sale for and now keep two armed up. (5ML/6SPL)

#28 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:49 AM

I put a 300 XL engine and 3-4 JJ's in my Jenners. Then 2 ML's and a ER LL. Fast, cool, capable of attacking at long and short range.
The 7K is by far my favorite since it has more module slots.

I rarelly stay with one target. I hit it 1-2 times and then i run to a completly different part of the map to cause havoc and confusion.
My damage ain't focused but i receive less damage too since i don't stay in contact for long.

I make up for the lesser amount of firepower by surviving longer and thus do more damage that way.

#29 maniacos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 777 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

I still have to see a situation, where one needs more than 2 JJ in a Jenner.

#30 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

View PostJherek C, on 10 June 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

I still have to see a situation, where one needs more than 2 JJ in a Jenner.

One JJ is more than serviceable too. At 35tons there's plenty of thrust for just one to get you off the ground quickly. Mounting two is the sweetspot though, I've found. Enables you to clear most of the buildings on Frozen (for example) with enough fuel left to land safely.

#31 Magos Titanicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSagittarius A

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

the duracell battery http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c24589e4a372847

Edited by Magos Titanicus, 11 June 2014 - 11:55 AM.

#32 DragonsMaw

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

Try a D variant with 4xML and 2xLRM5's? 255XL, JJ's, AMS and 3 tons of ammo make it pretty versatile fighter and you get used to finding range to keep the missiles in play. It's not the most effective use of Jenner but it brought some life back to the chassis for me.
STD250 and 2xSRM4's can also be a pretty sweet surprise for banging larger mech's aim off when you're circling around. Then you don't have to worry about ECM making half your weapons ineffective either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users